INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SideCar information not imported with video file  (Read 5302 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
SideCar information not imported with video file
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:15:23 am »

I've setup my TV recording software to generate the JRSideCar.XML file so I can get the program description imported into MC when it imports my recordings, only problem is it doesn't seem to be working.

For example;

I have  a recording "(2009-06-20 19-25) Rugby 7.mpg" with a SideCar file of "(2009-06-20 19-25) Rugby 7 JRSideCar.xml"

The sidecar contains;
Code: [Select]
<Title>
<LocalTitle>(2009-06-20 19-25) Rugby 7</LocalTitle>
<Description>Australia Vs Italy in the Rugby Union</Description>
<Genres>TV Recordings</Genres>
</Title>

Should auto-import not import my recording with the genre and description set?

I'm running MC 14.0.16 on XP.

Cheers
Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: SideCar information not imported with video file
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:39:05 am »

In addition to what you have in the file, there must be an <ID> element, and a <CollectionNumber> element.  They can have empty values, or even nonsense values.  We look for a few elements just to make sure we are dealing with the correct format, even though we do not necessarily import the values.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:21 am »

In addition to what you have in the file, there must be an <ID> element, and a <CollectionNumber> element.  They can have empty values, or even nonsense values.  We look for a few elements just to make sure we are dealing with the correct format, even though we do not necessarily import the values.

hmm, OK I have added these and it then works with my above example SideCar file, now I have an issue in that I'm using XSLT to generate my XML file and it puts header info in the XML file MC seems to be tripping over.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Title xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<ID>0</ID>
<CollectionNumber>0</CollectionNumber>
<LocalTitle>War Stories</LocalTitle>
<RunningTime>120</RunningTime>
<Description>In the wake of the US campaign in Afghanistan, civil war has broken out in neighbouring Uzbekistan between the repressive Uzbek government and militant fundamentalists. Journalists from around the world have gathered to cover this latest global hot spot. Credits: Robert Singer,Jeff Goldblum,Lake Bell,Louise Lombard,Jeffrey Nordling,Noam Jenkins</Description>
<Genres>TV Recordings</Genres>
</Title>

Should MC  handle this?

Cheers
Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:20:20 pm »

Should MC  handle this?

I think it should.  I can run a test on it on Monday.  However there is a problem with how <Genres> is specified.

It should be <Genres> <Genre>TV Recordings</Genre></Genres>

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:28:15 pm »

Also Richard, "running time" isn't really necessary IMO since mc will populate the video time on import automatically.

Ps - Yaobing, I love this new feature. I look forward to more developments.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:39:37 pm »

Also Richard, "running time" isn't really necessary IMO since mc will populate the video time on import automatically.

Very true, I was just playing :)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:30:40 pm »

I think it should.  I can run a test on it on Monday.  However there is a problem with how <Genres> is specified.

It should be <Genres> <Genre>TV Recordings</Genre></Genres>

OK I've fixed it at my end, the line "<Title xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">" that my stylesheet was generating was causing the problems.  I have changed the stylesheet to make this just <Title>.  

I'm LOVING these sidecars, now if they could just be deleted when the video file is deleted I'd be EXTRA happy  :D

Ralf - I'll send you the new stylesheet.

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:56:12 pm »

Thanks for the schema (don't have time to try right now  :( )!
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 12:15:34 am »

Thanks for the update!

...now if they could just be deleted when the video file is deleted I'd be EXTRA happy  :D

ditto!!

Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:07:40 am »

OK, my problem wasn't JUST the format of the JRSideCar xml file, I have discovered something else I hadn't thought of.

It seems that files are cached/stored in the library somewhere even when they are deleted from the library.

I have been testing these sidecar files and have discovered that MC DOES NOT import information from sidecar files if the files have been in the library previously.

Files that have not been imported previously get the sidear data imported, but if I try to import a file that was in the library (I deleted using "delete from library") the file is imported again, but none of the sidecar information gets imported.

It's like the library data isn't really deleted, so when the same file is re-imported all the information that was in the library is used again rather then the new sidecar information.... ARGHHH !!

Yaobing - I'm fine for the  library data to be reused, but could SideCar data please overwrite any "cached" data from deleted files still in the library??

Thanks
Richard

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:44:08 am »

It may be related to the hidden "deleted files database section". In general, the library files (and the library field values) are not completely removed even if the auto-importer's cleaning options are enabled unless also the disk files are deleted (i.e. the value in the "Filename" field is not anymore valid).

If a library file exists in the deleted files database and it is flagged as imported again a tag reread may not be triggered because the "last modified" value has not changed.

I don't think MC actually monitors the side car files similarly like the library files and thus MC does not automatically detect a changed sidecar file. Obviously the sidecar files are not yet handled as a part of the database (I hope this will change). Currently they are only really usable for importing file metadata to new libraries.

Here are some old threads that explain the deleted files database section:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28266
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29216
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30238
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48427.msg333314#msg333314
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44141.msg339418#msg339418
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44679.msg308919#msg308919
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 07:03:08 am »

Thanks Alex, I'll take a read...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:07:03 am »

OK I've fixed it at my end, the line "<Title xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">" that my stylesheet was generating was causing the problems.  I have changed the stylesheet to make this just <Title>.

In the next build attributes in "Title" element will be allowed.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 01:09:14 am »

In the next build attributes in "Title" element will be allowed.

Thanks.

Now about the issue with deleted files....

How does MC decide if a file that is imported is the SAME as one that was previoudly deleted?

I have the kids Playschool recording and being deleted every 6 days so "Friday Playschool" is recorded on a Friday (DUH!) and deleted the following Thursday before being recorded again on Friday.   The new "Friday Playschool" has different sidecar information, but when it's imported it's getting the old information back from the library.

Does the import check more than just the filename before deciding to use the old library data?

Cheers
Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04:33 pm »

Does the import check more than just the filename before deciding to use the old library data?

Filename is basically it.  Any suggestion on what else should be checked?  Are you sure it is the old info from the old sidecar file?  Or the old info left in the database?

One thing I should add is to delete the sidecar file when the media file is deleted from the disk.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 04:16:09 pm »

Filename is basically it.  Any suggestion on what else should be checked?  Are you sure it is the old info from the old sidecar file?  Or the old info left in the database?

It's old info left in the database, the sidecar is regenerated for the new file but the information is being ignored completely.

Could the creation date be checked as well? This way files with the same name but not created at the same time would be seen as different files.

One thing I should add is to delete the sidecar file when the media file is deleted from the disk.

I delete from within theater view, so as discussed in other threads, I thinkl MC should be deleting the sidecar file when the media file is deleted.

Cheers
Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 07:28:02 pm »

I've started seeing a lot of sidecars created by MC. Until the other day, the only ones I had were ones I had created for MC to pick up on import but now I have hundreds of them. I understand that MC will create them automatically when doing an "update tags/library" but I have not done this. What else could be creating them?

As an aside, perhaps the sidecars should be hidden by default?
Z-Wave Home Automation

maid

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 03:34:51 pm »

Hi,

I have just updated to 14 and I have also noticed that I have these sidecar files.

Are they necessary? can I stop them?

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 04:03:23 pm »

I would like to be able to disable this feature. My video metadata is imported to MC from my Personal Video Database. As much as I appreciate the concept (I may even find a use for it), sidecar files are unnecessary and redundant in this situation.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 04:12:19 pm »

I will add option to enable/disable sidecar.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 04:14:41 pm »

I would like to be able to disable this feature...

I said the following a couple of weeks ago:

"... The option to switch them off is also essential. I am sure that some users are not going to be happy when they see the additional files on their drives."

Here's the link to the other thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52254

Perhaps these threads should be combined.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 04:16:00 pm »

Have you considered my suggestion?

... Sidecar files
Store tags in external sidecar files if the file type does not support tagging.
[] Video
[] Audio
[] Images
[] Documents

I think the sidecar files should be created independenly of the "Update file tags when file info changes" setting so that the other, "taggable", file types could still be protected from changes whenever preferred.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52254.msg356476#msg356476

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 04:20:20 pm »

Will this just disable the creation/writing of sidecars or using them for import as well.

I want to use them for imprting data but don't really want them created by MC.

Cheers
Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »

Have you considered my suggestion?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52254.msg356476#msg356476

Yes.  It is a great suggestion and that probably will be the way I should do it.  However I may still start off only with video and expand it to other types later.

Will this just disable the creation/writing of sidecars or using them for import as well.

I want to use them for imprting data but don't really want them created by MC.

Cheers
Richard

You raised a good point.  I think I should always allow reading from sidecar files and only making tag writing optional.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 07:04:37 pm »

I think I should always allow reading from sidecar files and only making tag writing optional.

Agreed  :)
Z-Wave Home Automation

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 12:21:45 am »

Thanks for your work on this Yaobing. I use these a lot now.

I do hope you consider adding support for other untaggable media types in the future.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 11:46:26 am »

It seems that files are cached/stored in the library somewhere even when they are deleted from the library.

I have been testing these sidecar files and have discovered that MC DOES NOT import information from sidecar files if the files have been in the library previously.

Try restarting MC ;)

I've seen similar behaviour with cue files.  That if any changes were made to the xml or cue but the filename remained the same then the changes would not take.

As Alex mentioned, its to do with deleted files but i found a restart was much quicker and more reliable.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is a bug.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:15 pm »

Files that have not been imported previously get the sidear data imported, but if I try to import a file that was in the library (I deleted using "delete from library") the file is imported again, but none of the sidecar information gets imported.

It's like the library data isn't really deleted, so when the same file is re-imported all the information that was in the library is used again rather then the new sidecar information.... ARGHHH !!

Yaobing - I'm fine for the  library data to be reused, but could SideCar data please overwrite any "cached" data from deleted files still in the library??

Thanks
Richard

Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm experiencing it a lot now too due to (repeated) video sidecar testing.

Re-starting MC seems to have no effect for me.

Is there a way of blowing away this deleted file "cache" somehow - jmd file or reg key perhaps?
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:41 am »

Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm experiencing it a lot now too due to (repeated) video sidecar testing.

Re-starting MC seems to have no effect for me.

Is there a way of blowing away this deleted file "cache" somehow - jmd file or reg key perhaps?

In did it by selecting videos then typing ~d=a in the search box up the top right.

You now see ALL video files in the database (including deleted ones) , I then had to scroll through and delete the ones I needed to get rid of, which in my case was anything starting with T:\ .

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up