INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customizing remote buttons in MC14  (Read 2280 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Customizing remote buttons in MC14
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »

In build 34, it's possible to customize what each remote button does.

If you did this in an earlier build, please reset and start again.  Unfortunately the format changed.  Hopefully this is the least time.

Steps:

Activate the MCE and the HID remote.  In a future version, the HID shouldn't be needed, but right now, MC won't learn correctly without activating both.

For learning buttons from other remotes, there are two steps:

1.  The first "learn" is on the page you get if you double click on the button function name and then choose "add blast" or select an existing blast and choose "edit".  When you start this "learn", you will point the remote for your amp at the receiver, for example.

2.  The second "learn" is on the first page of remote customization.  It tells MC which button you want to use on the MCE remote or universal remote to "trigger" the blast learned in step 1.  For this one, you press "Learn", then point the MCE or universal remote at the receiver, and press the button you intend to use to trigger the blast.  Volume up, for example.

Frequency matters.  Learning may not get it right.  For example, MC believed the frequency to be 38400 when learning from a Sony Amp remote.  By trial and error, I found that 40620 would work.  A range near that probably also works.  The "test" button is useful here.

This is a little complicated right now.  We intend to make it easier shortly.

krupted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Customizing remote buttons in MC14
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33:44 pm »

thanks jim.  i have a specific question about this, not sure if you can help or not.

i acquired this remote for my carpc. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Slim-PC-USB-Media-Center-Remote-Controller-PC22_W0QQitemZ250468875691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item3a511bbdab&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

while i do have a touchscreen in it, and the theater view ever since mc13 has been fantastic,  when youre driving down the road nothing is easier then using a simple remote.

so, when i "plug n play" (it doesnt come with drivers), i get a few of the buttons working, but not 'next track' or 'seek'.   play, pause, and even the guide pad works ok... so it seems like this should be fixable.

however, when i try the 'learn' routine, it doesnt recognize anything, even the buttons that work fine out of the box.  also, when i go into 'modify', all my options are grayed out.  

the USBUIRT plugin gives an error and doesnt connect, but the IRMAN is the one it connects and at least does a few things.

im probably overlooking something... i thought you would be able to at least point me in the right direction.  

edit- from best i can tell, mc14 is actually seeing my microsoft media center remote (im trying this in my living room for the time being) and this slim remote is just sending partly the same signals.. thats why its half ass working (but not right)

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:58:21 pm »

I just posted MC14.0.45.   It has a nice new "wizard", but it still has some rough edges.  Enable both "MCE Remote" and "HID".

MC14 should work with a Media Center Remote (green button type) without any customization.

USBUIRT and IRMAN each require those receivers.

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »

i guess i did not have the latest version, that snuck by me.

but its still not working.  but i now conclude, my regular media center remote works fine with jrmediacenter, and the slim remote i have works perfectly with windows media center.  but the slim remote does not correctly control jrmc.

so, im guessing this "green button" remote is probably more of an emulating remote and not a true mce blaster...  i dont know...

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:32:47 pm »

i know you probably have dropped everything including your personal life just to figure out this problem, so i wanted to let you know that we should wait.

i bought this, i have a feeling it will work just fine.   like i was saying earlier, i dont think the one i have now is a real mce remote.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Certified-Mini-25-Keys-Vista-MCE-Remote-Ctrl-Receiver_W0QQitemZ370235102826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item5633bb566a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:29 pm »

I've been working on your problem for the last 4 days and I just can't work it out, so I'm relieved to know you've found an alternate solution.  Thanks for saving me from another sleepless night.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:14:08 am »

MC14.0.45 has a new wizard for setting up a remote.  It's working but not 100% problem free yet.

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:52:15 pm »

yes the new remote works perfectly (although its a tiny remote!)

i think the "vista certified" made the difference, the other was obviously an emulating remote and not a true green button.  

i see mc14 went stable, good to see!  time to uninstall 13 then.   the new remote wizard looks good, i love that you are focusing on home theater pc applications!  i hope you didnt stress out too much about this remote problem, i should have warned you EVERYTHING i touch becomes a problem some way or another :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up