INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 7 64-bit - Rip failed.  (Read 2771 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Win 7 64-bit - Rip failed.
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:07:54 am »

I cant' rip any CDs using JRMC14 with my system. I recently upgraded (with a clean install) from Windows 7 RC (32-bit) to Windows 7 RTM (64-bit). I had this problem with JRMC13, and was told to upgrade to JRMC14 because it was more stable. I've always set my encoding preference to Windows Media Lossless. Now, when I try to rip something, I get the message -

"Read Track Failed. Failed to extract digital audio. Rip failed."

the second time I try, I get:

"Read Track Failed. Failed to initialize the encoder... Rip failed."

If I switch to FLAC, I get:

"Read Track Failed. Failed to extract digital audio. Rip failed."

I have 2 optical drives on the system. I get the same error with both drives. I have tried ripping to a local folder and a folder on a mapped network drive. Neither works.

I've never had this problem before, the only change was going from Win7 x32 (RC) to Win7 x64 (RTM). Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if it has something to do with running x64 version of Win7.

Thanks,
Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Win 7 64-bit - Rip failed.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:12:20 am »

All versions of Win7 (32 or 64) work with MC14.  There may still be problems we don't know about.  WM Lossless may not work.

But it sounds like the drives are the issue.  You might try google for help.  I don't recognize the problem.

I assume you tried a reboot.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:22:38 am »

Here's a similar problem I found with Google:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-music-video/1012584.htm

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »

Ripping fine with windows 7 x64 here.

Earlier this year, I was having major problems both with ripping, and playback of CDs with MC.
WMP could do both just fine, therefore, the problem must be with MC, right?

Wrong.

Turned out that Windows XP, as I was using at the time, had decided in its infinite wisdom, that I was using SCSI drives, rather than the EIDE drives I knew I had connected.
Similar to Jim's link, I had to reinstall my motherboard drivers to cure the problem. My thread, with pictures, is here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51714.0

There may, or may not, be something there that helps you trouble-shoot. Sorry I can't offer more help.

-marko.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:00:59 pm »

There's something strange going on here. I can get one of the drives working, but not the other. It might be a hardware failure because this is a pretty old CD burner (not even a DVD/CD burner). It's worked like a champ up until this upgrade (even with Win7 and MC13) and rips much faster than my LiteOn DVD burner even in secure mode.

After installing Win7 64-bit, I made sure I got all the latest drivers for the mobo.

I just tried uninstalling the CD drive and rebooting the system. The OS recognized the drive and installed the drivers. Now it works. I'll keep an eye on this and see if it happens again. Maybe it's time to get a new drive. I may buy a Bluray drive for the HTPC and move the DVD burner from there to this machine.

Thanks for the responses and links.
Pages: [1]   Go Up