INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help... Saved Library Views not showing  (Read 2327 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Help... Saved Library Views not showing
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:17:08 am »

Hi.
I wanted to duplicate a library view. So I saved the library view. But when I click add library view, none of the saved views show... only: 'Empty View'
It only seems to be a problem since I upgraded to media center 14. How can I fix this? It seems to be happening with all of my libraries? any ideas... please?

If I navigate to the \saved views folder, all the views are saved as .jvi files.

Any help would be appreciated... I really need to sort this out so I can carry on organising my stuff.
I really don't want to have to create the views from scratch each time.

Image:

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help... Saved Library Views not showing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:29:38 pm »

if you just want to clone a view drag it to the nearest root level (or wherever), let loose of left mouse button..and copy
MT5FR

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:24 pm »

Each library has its own Saved Views folder. If you are using several libraries you need to copy the created .jvi files (and the Saved Views folder if none exists) to the other library locations.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:27:50 am »

The saved library views system used by MC is too complicated imvho.

I notice from your screenshot that you are only seeing the "Empty View", when I would at least expect you to see the default "Genre, Year, & Rating" view as another option too. Generally, saved views do not show up in the "load a view" options because they've either been saved in a non-default location, or they list different media types than the parent view you're trying to add it to.

Here are some facts that may, or not, help:

• When saving a view, the dialogue opens with the default "Save" directory already selected. There's also a "Browse" button there. If you use that, and save the view somewhere other than the default location, the view will not be available in the "Load View" options. If you wish to load the view at a later date, you must save it in the default location.
  • When a view is saved, the media types listed in that view are also recorded. The idea behind this is that by doing so, when you choose to add a view to the "Video" branch of the tree, the "Add library view" dialogue will only present you with thumbnails of views saved with videos in them. So, if you save a view from the video branch that contains video files and picture files, you will only be able to load this view as a child view of a view that also contains video and picture files. Similarly, if you save a view that contains audio and cover art, you will not be able to load that saved view as a child of a view that contains purely audio files and no album art. Hopefully, I'm explaining this well enough
  • No default actions are asigned to the .jvi file extension in Windows, so double clicking on one in Explorer will not work

I find all of the above far too tiresome and tend to do exactly as Lasse_Lus described and just drag and drop and copy. Then I open up the customise view dialogue and make any tweaks that are needed. Doing things this way, it's extremely easy to copy a view from one media type node to another, where for sure, initially, it may show zero files, but does not require much adjustment to get it working properly, and if there's not a good 'copy' candidate, I'll just start from scratch.

If anyone needs any help with the "customise view" dialogue, I posted a pretty comprehensive review of all the options on offer earlier this year, so, if you're not sure about anything, have a look at this and see if it helps.

-marko.

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:11:35 am »

Okay I tested this issue on three computers. (1) Vista 64-bit (2) Vista 32-bit and (3) Vista 64-bit.
The issue seems to be unique to my machine (1). All using the same version of the software 14.0.65

I will wait for a new release of the software and see if that resolves the issue on my primary machine.
Very odd indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up