INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ensure Tags are read correctly  (Read 2559 times)

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
Ensure Tags are read correctly
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:38:32 am »

Is there a way that I can make sure a field is reading the tag it is supposed to read? For example, I use the mood tag when a value is entered in it, most of the audio programs I use read this tag however Media Center does not seem to recognise the value even though it appears a tagged field.

Ian

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ensure Tags are read correctly
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:10:00 am »

Is there a way that I can make sure a field is reading the tag it is supposed to read? For example, I use the mood tag when a value is entered in it, most of the audio programs I use read this tag however Media Center does not seem to recognise the value even though it appears a tagged field.

Ian

If you are using mp3 files you might want to support the appropriate feature request in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53022.msg362806#msg362806
(See the heading Change Field Names for Fields Importing Data From MusicMatch Tags)

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:30 am »

I am not sure what the above reply has to do with my question to be honest.

'Mood' is a valid standard MP3 Tag - I just would like to know why MediaCenter isnt reading it correctly

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:31:26 am »

A new frame called TMOO aka "mood" was added to the ID3v2.4 standard.  (http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-changes)

The still more common ID3v2.3 standard doesn't include any defined frame for a "Mood" tag. (http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0)

Propably the first program that added a tag field for "Mood" was Musicmatch and its way to store the Mood field could be considered as the de facto standard a few years ago. MC uses that style for historical and compatibility reasons.

Here is a suggestion to the developers:

Read different Mood tags in the following order and apply the first found value to the Mood library field:

- COMM, description: MusicMatch_Mood (the old style)
- TMOO  if exists in ID3v2.4 tags
- TXXX, description: MOOD   if exists in ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags

Write

If the format is v.2.3:

and
- TXXX, description: MOOD

If the format is v.2.4:

and
- TMOO

and perhaps also (it would add compatibility with programs or devices that do not support TMOO, but can read TXXX tags):
- TXXX, description: MOOD

EDIT

On second thought, it might be better to give "COMM, MusicMatch_Mood" tag the lowest priority. Otherwise an externally added new TMOO or TXXX Mood tag would not be readable if the file already contains an old COMM Mood tag. The lowest priority would be enough for compatibility with old MC/MJ/Musicmatch tagged files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:35:45 am »

I created two sample files that are tagged as I suggested above (v2.3 and v.2.4).

They are in the attached zip file. (You must be logged in the forum to see the attachment.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vagskal

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:32 pm »

Alex B,

Do you think it is really necessary to write the old MusicMatch (MM) tag? Are there software in common use today that still read the MM tags but not TXXX tags? Or do you perhaps feel the writing of such tags are necessary to provide compatibility for users wanting to revert to an older version of MC? If you feel it is necessary to write the MM tag, what do you think of renaming the current Mood MC database field to MM_Mood (reading and writing only the MM mood tag) and introducing a new MC database field named Mood reading tags in the manner you suggested but writing only TXXX Mood and, if ID3v.2.4, TMOD tags?

I got rid of my old MM tags a couple of years ago when the software was discontinued and would not like to have such tags in my files again if it can be avoided.

Please do not misunderstand me. Your proposal is elegant and thought through as usual and would definitely make me happier. If the developers are planning to implement Alex B's proposal as it is, please do not let my intervention delay the implementation.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »

In Media Center 14.0.73 and later (available in about a week):
Changed: 'Mood' field is saved as TMOO in ID3v2.4 and TXXX(Mood) in ID3v2.3. (COMM(MusicMatch_Mood) is still read but never written)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vagskal

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:57:00 am »

In Media Center 14.0.73 and later (available in about a week):
Changed: 'Mood' field is saved as TMOO in ID3v2.4 and TXXX(Mood) in ID3v2.3. (COMM(MusicMatch_Mood) is still read but never written)

Great, thanks! Very responsive.

Any chance of a Track Year/Original Release Date field being added for ID3v2.3 TORY tag and ORIGYEAR Vorbis comments for flac files as well? http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50762.msg361205#msg361205

MichaelVBrooks

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:47:00 pm »

I have a related tag problem with Non Alphanumeric Characters in Fields (inc genre, name...)

When I import audio tags into Media Center from lossless m4a files (which read correctly using Easy CD-DA Extractor) they show up in the library fields in MC with non alpha characters; e.g.,

D???,֫?Aüº_cTØR LEE?e,m,?~´ª0??í±?˫] ?µ?.W4¬dç¨ë?E¤5?N??¨dæÖ&SÅ;¼ܮËX0ÓA?ø0rP?¢?Pڞ?ò.Dëî?à[

I can correct them in MC (if I find them), and they then read okay in MC, but MC says is writes back to the M4A tags, but it does not, it only enters the new text into the library fields (in MySQL, I guess)...I have thousands of files that I had to edit with a different tag editor.

Also, if I try to export my library to XML, then Excel will not open it as a table, because it finds illegal characters. Anybody help here?

Thx
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up