INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a remote? (split from Tremote thread)  (Read 2615 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
What is a remote? (split from Tremote thread)
« on: September 25, 2009, 04:02:33 pm »

Pardon My Ignorance...

ive read through all these posts. but ive not read or may have missed what a HTPC remote is\should be...  

where is the IR\RF capabilities coming from?

all these posts are great, touchscreen controlling jriver and the htpc. but ummmmmm what do you use to replace our universal remotes? for controlling our lights? tv channels, tv inputs, xbox remotes, our switcher remotes, our reciever remotes, etc...?  

my ideal htpc remote would be similiar to the ones you guys have posted, asus, the os cell phones, the netbooks, the OQO O2 (would be my choice for the ultimate remote... http://www.oqo.com/products/model2+/features.html except for the fact i read on their site they are out of business, and two... i don't see anywhere on their site, google, forums how one would use it as a universal remote as well?

What are the Tech Industry's plans for incorporating an os htpc remote into a universal remote for all other devices?  is there a workaround for that?  girder? what software\hardware would one need to buy to incorporate a universal remote functionality\setup macros etc into one of these mini pcs?

TY

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What is a remote? (split from Tremote thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:25:43 pm »

Big question.

"os htpc remote" -- by "os", do you mean On Screen?

With our new Media Center Remote, I think we're pretty close to being able to control a "normal" home theater stack if you're willing to drive a lot of it with a PC. 

It would probably be possible to extend this to lighting if there were clear standards.  It may take another decade or two before there are accessible interfaces to the systems we have in a home.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:05:50 pm »

os meaning Operating system, operating system home theater pc remote similiar to the post of the tremote. where you would have a netbook type remote that could remote in via vnc, tremote etc into the htpc and control all functions of the htpc via that netbook, cellphone, tablet etc...similar to the netbooks you guys have posted(asus, toshiba etc..) 

but from what ive researched none of them have RF\IR capability like a typical universal remote.  so i'm curious if there is away to incorporate\make those netbooks,cell phones, pda's, tablets universal remotes to control our lights, tv's recievers, xbox's, switchers basically any device that one buys that comes with a remote. Right now i can learn or program into my universal remote anything that comes with a remote allowing me to have only one remote, (but i do still have to use my logitech dinovo edge keyboard to control the pc, and of course can't leave the room due to not being able to see where i would be moving the mouse)  it would be phenomenal if i could do the same for these netbooks allowing for just one all in one remote that controls the HTPC and All other compnents of the theater, and also the ability to be able to be in the garage, downstairs, have parties be outside by the bonfire etc, and actually see the htpc on the mini netbook, cellphone,pda tablet etc and be able to change tracks, playlists the whole Kaboodle.  basically an all in one all in one remote with a touch screen. :)

love the remote you posted from engadget btw...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/intel-snaps-up-wind-river-looks-for-that-embedded-systems-edge/ now when they make it have ir\rf built in. I'M Sold!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:16:11 pm »

it would be phenomenal if i could do the same for these netbooks allowing for just one all in one remote that controls the HTPC and All other compnents of the theater, and also the ability to be able to be in the garage, downstairs, have parties be outside by the bonfire etc, and actually see the htpc on the mini netbook ...  basically an all in one all in one remote with a touch screen.

If on the HTPC, you can live with MC, what you've described is what Tremote does.  It can show MC's interface on the netbook or tablet, but play on the HTPC.  The connection is wireless LAN.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:22:27 pm »

right that parts all set :)

its just i'm hoping the industry (asus, toshiba, Archos 9) eventually incorporates the IR\RF (actually RF of course) so ya can be 30 some feet away and control lights and all other compnents via rf just like my universal does. awww human nature... always wanting more but simpliar!

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:56 pm »

It may take another decade or two before there are accessible interfaces to the systems we have in a home.

So Crestron and AMX can still breathe easy? :)

I'm not an expert on these things (home integrators), so I wonder about a couple of possibilities. They program controllers, with settings personalized for each installation. They use serial connections inside various boxes. I wonder how they do that since most things I'd like to integrate don't have a serial connection. Secondly we'd have a PC, not a dedicated, pre-programmed controller so send signals out. Would that make it easy to integrate everything from projectors to complex (mood) lighting to various motorized utilities?

It's a tongue-in-cheek question but I always wondered if there isn't a much cheaper way that a Crestron solution.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:47 am »

It's definitely possible with a PC, and people are doing elements of this now.  It's just a little too far out of our sandbox.

I don't think you can currently solve this problem without hiring a custom installer or learning how to become one.

I have a Lutron lighting system in my house.  It uses something called Radio-Ra, so the central controller can communicate with the special light switches.  It required no wiring changes.  The controller mounts on any electrical box.  The switches are just a replacement for the standard switches.  Everything works by radio.  You can control the individual lights from each switch or you can go to a small panel with 6 buttons and choose a "scene".  One is meant for watching movies, for example.  Another turns everything off.  Each button talks to about 15 switches.

All I would need to control this from my PC would be a USB device that can send radio signals.  They may make one.  I haven't checked.

Right now, the way it works is that when we sit down to watch a movie, my wife says, "Do you think we should turn the lights down?" and I grunt and get up and do it.

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 02:23:18 pm »

Nice Lutron system you got there! :)

All I would need to control this from my PC would be a USB device that can send radio signals.

Yes, that's the piece of equipment that would be needed. No idea either if anybody produces it.

My work so far has been aimed at solutions that can be installed and uninstalled easily since I live in an apartment. In the simple category, Lutron does manufacture the Maestro IR dimmers which I believe can be controlled by any Universal remote (I don't have it but my Logitech accepts the device in its setup without questions).

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

why am i not getting replies to my posts?

people are replying but im not getting notifications!! Good stuff has been said!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:38:11 pm »

Check your junkmail folder.  Add our address to your e-mail program.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:37:07 pm »

You could check out x10. This is a RF or Powerline based home automation standard that has multiple options for PC based control, with USB RF transmitters / receivers available.

If you're looking to combine this all into one control software package, you could check out Cinemar's line of software at http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/index.html which basically interacts with different software (MC for Music; HAL or Homeseer for Home Automation; TheaterTek, ArcSoftTMT, PowerDVD or Zoom Player to play Movies). It's UI is highly customisable and it has a host or features, but it's not cheap...

Otherwise, if you can put up with Alt-TABing between MC and your x10 control software on your netbook, you could get away with it for not that much.

Pages: [1]   Go Up