INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comodo IS make MC freeze at startup  (Read 3010 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Comodo IS make MC freeze at startup
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:38:38 am »

7 seconds after starting MC it freezes for round 20 seconds. Audio is played, but the position bar slider and timecount stoppes and I'm not able to do anything.

I figured out that it is connected with podcast. I renamed the podcast.xml and no freezes.

Any hints how I can solve this without deleting all my podcasts?

BTW: Looks as MC now deletes all files in the library folder which are not part of the library. MC "thoughts" my renamed podcast.xml file must be a strange one and deleted it  :o luckily I had a backup at an external drive  8)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: Podcasts make MC freeze at startup
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:51:29 am »

After posting I thought the first answer would be "firewall or viruschecker".
So I disabled it to be sure, that Comodo is no reason for this.
But: it is. Now I'm trying to figure out how to set it up without freezing MC...

Anyone else having freezing with other firewall/antivirus solutions at startup connected with podcast?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Comodo IS make MC freeze at startup
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:39:15 am »

Is that Comodo Firewall or Comodo Anti Virus?
I have the anti virus on my laptop and MC starts up no problem.
I don't use the firewall though.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:12:51 am »

It's both.

I have Avira on my Laptop. And WinVista/7 firewall activated. No problems there.
Perhaps I should think about a new security suite for my desktop...

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:19:27 am »

I use the free Comodo Internet Security which included both the A/V and the Firewall and have no issues with MC. Plus it works extrmely well as a security suite!

The trick is to go into Comodo and set MC as an exclusion.
Go into the Anti-Virus settings and select the exclusions Tab. Choose 'Add' then select the MC files you see running and add them to the exclusions list. Comodo A/V should not cause further delays.

ALso I suggest using the new "Stateful" setting for the Real-Time Scanner rather than the older 'On-Access'. It scans each item once then again only if it has been modified, rather than everytime as On-Access does.

P.S. - in the Internet Security Suite there is also a "Defense Security" program, if used set MC as an exclusion here as well.
. . . the game is rigged

rjm

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:56:59 pm »

I have experienced 30+ second MC total freezes when first accessing my podcasts for many versions. Have not reported the problem but would love to find a fix.

I never thought AV could be the problem but am interested to explore. I use Avast. Just explored the Avast settings and it is not clear which type of protection might be the culprit and what I need to exclude.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:33:22 pm »

The trick is to go into Comodo and set MC as an exclusion.
Go into the Anti-Virus settings and select the exclusions Tab. Choose 'Add' then select the MC files you see running and add them to the exclusions list. Comodo A/V should not cause further delays.

ALso I suggest using the new "Stateful" setting for the Real-Time Scanner rather than the older 'On-Access'. It scans each item once then again only if it has been modified, rather than everytime as On-Access does.

P.S. - in the Internet Security Suite there is also a "Defense Security" program, if used set MC as an exclusion here as well.
Of course all exceptions are set  ;)

I found the reason. I found it over one year ago and forget about it! For me it's enough to disable logging just for podcast.

@rjm:
If it's the same for you as it was (and is) for me, disabling logging for podcast could help. In the past it also worked for BitDefender and Avira to exclude "log.txt" from scanning.
Is MC freezing for you everytime you start MC or just when you explicitly access your podcasts?

rjm

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »

Is MC freezing for you everytime you start MC or just when you explicitly access your podcasts?

MC works fine on startup until first time I browse podcast feeds. Then freeze for 30+ seconds. Then ok thereafter until I shut down MC, restart, and first browse podcast feeds again.

Note that all my podcasts (30 feeds) are set to manual download.

I am going to totally turn off AV for a while to confirm it is the problem. Often wonder if AV is a waste of time these days assuming you are savy user.

Will report back what I learn.

rjm

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

It's not AV.

I turned off everything AVish (Avast, Windows Defender, PeerBlock) and I still see the freeze when first browsing my podcast feeds. I timed it and the freeze lasts for about 70 seconds.

My best guess is that MC freezes while it downloads my 30 feeds for the first time. Would be wonderful if JRiver could find a fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up