INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saved views disappeared  (Read 1365 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Saved views disappeared
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:44:30 am »

This morning I turned on MC and all my saved customized views had disappeared!  Any idea what could have happened?  Where are they stored, so that I might be able to find them in a backup dataset?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Re: Saved views disappeared
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:19:06 pm »

A little more information.  I found a file called "My View.jvi" whose name matched one of my saved views.  I loaded it as a view.  It appeared in the list of Video views.  All seemed OK.  But then I exited MC and restarted it.  The view was gone again!

This view had been working fine for months.  I did nothing to the computer (that I know of) between yesterday when it worked and today.

MC 14.0.71.  No other copies running. (I do sometimes tun MC on two computers, but I made sure the other was off)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »

More information.

My library is on a Windows Home Server.  The saved view "My View" that I found I saved there.  At the time, this didn't make much difference to the problem.  But then Windows Home Server came up with an error message "The group ot resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" on three files, browser.jmd, playlistx.jmd and removeable.jmd.  The help for the error said to delete them, which I did.  After I stopped and then restarted MC these files were recreated and the view "My View" was present with I looked at video files.

Still have no idea what happened, but at least this one view is back.  There are still my other views that I haven't found yet.

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:00:46 am »

I'm having a similar issue.  All my custom Pictures views are missing.
They are not in the Program Files\J River\Media Centre 14\Data\Saved Views folder.
They are, however, in the MC14lib\Saved Views\ folder (a custom folder where I keep my library).
Thing is, loading that library does not display them.

Could someone explain? Are the saved views saved with the library or not? If not, then why does the library folder include a Saved Views folder?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:35:53 am »

Are the saved views saved with the library or not? If not, then why does the library folder include a Saved Views folder?

All views are stored in the regular library database. That has not changed.

The files in the Saved Views subfolder are just templates. They are not an integral part of the active library and they don't define the present view settings. They can be used only when you create a new view or use the "Load View" option in "Customize View".

In order the make them available in the "Add Library View" window they must be inside the Saved Views subfolder under the current library location. You can copy a previously saved .jvi file to the Saved Views folder under another library location and use it as a templete when you create a new view in that library.

EDIT

The location under Program Files is used for the default view templates. The location under the library folder is for user defined view templates. Possibly you can add .jvi files to the location in Program Files and they will show up in all libraries in the "Add Library View" window, but I have not tried that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:09:15 am »

Ok, thanks Alex.

Then there was definitely a bug when updating from v13 to v14, because none of those custom picture views were displayed in 14 (although the music ones were). The templates were all in the custom library's "Save Views" folder, but I had to recreate the views based on those templates. I think it might be related to the default file associations when updating to a new version using the Custom installation. I noticed that all the "Pictures" associations were unchecked. I can't see why, as I use MC exclusively for pictures, but I had to check them all. Maybe that's related to why only my pictures schemes didn't make it into the library.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up