INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thearter View Crashes Media Center 14  (Read 1995 times)

smanning

• Recent member
Thearter View Crashes Media Center 14
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:21:24 pm »

I down loaded the trial version of Media Center 14.0 with the idea of using it to run a music server on my pc. From what I can tell running it in Theater View would be exactly what I need for listening to my system, similar to Windows Media Center. The only problem is when I select Theater View mode, Media Center shuts down.  The error message I get is "Media Center has stopped working" I have looked in the FAQ section and cannot find any similar issues. Not sure if it's a setup issue or what, just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.
   My pc is an HP AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core running Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit.
   Thanks,
      Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Thearter View Crashes Media Center 14
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:50:19 pm »

Try updating the video driver.  Try updating DirectX from Microsoft.

smanning

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:03 am »

Hi Jim,

I just down loaded the latest video driver here at work, so I will give that a try when I get home tonight. I'm already running DirectX 10 so I'm not sure what I can do there, hopefully the video driver will do the trick.

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:43:44 am »

Hi Jim,

I just down loaded the latest video driver here at work, so I will give that a try when I get home tonight. I'm already running DirectX 10 so I'm not sure what I can do there, hopefully the video driver will do the trick.

Steve
Try updating DirectX anyway.  I bought a new Sony notebook a few months ago that crashed in Theater View.  Updating DirectX solved it.

smanning

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:15 am »

Jim,

Hate to be a pain, but would you happen to know what the update for DirectX 10.0 is? I know enough about computers to get into trouble and I've been looking online under the assumption that as the version numbers increased you where better off. Now I'm just confused after reading that DirectX 9.0c is the latest version. The one thing I did see recommended in several places, was to install DirectX End User Run-Time. Does Media Center have a specific set of requirements that I’m missing?
Thanks,     Steve

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:47:38 am »

... would you happen to know what the update for DirectX 10.0 is? I know enough about computers to get into trouble and I've been looking online under the assumption that as the version numbers increased you where better off. Now I'm just confused after reading that DirectX 9.0c is the latest version. The one thing I did see recommended in several places, was to install DirectX End User Run-Time. Does Media Center have a specific set of requirements that I’m missing?
Start here:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx

Microsoft should help once you start the process.

smanning

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:04 pm »

Hi Jim,
   Well I fixed the problem, but not quite in the fashion you suggested though it got me to where I needed to be. I figured I'd pass the info along in case anyone else ran into the same issue.
    Updating the video driver did not solve the problem. I was able to update DirectX to version 11, just so happens I had a Windows platform update waiting to be installed and it apparently has some Windows 7 features that they are putting into Vista, that was included. That, however, also did not fix the problem. After doing a bunch of reading today I discovered that there are many add-ons to DirectX that don't fall under the core program as it were. I downloaded and ran the DirectX Web Updater which went out and found a bunch (2 dozen in fact) DirectX SDK updates that I did not have and installed them. It then started working at that point.
   Anyway, thanks for your help.
      Steve

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »

Thanks for reporting the fix.  I'm glad it's working.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:04:05 am »

Steve - Thanks! I've had the same issue with theatre view for the last few builds. Your solution worked perfectly for me too :)

Interestingly, I'd tried the DirectX End User Runtime and it made no difference... the web update did the trick though.
Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up