INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving tags to video files (sidecar) is very slow  (Read 1266 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Saving tags to video files (sidecar) is very slow
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

Hi

May be a known issue.  But I'm finding the sidecar files are very slow to operate on.

I have 3500 video files.  I just updated the tags on all of them.  15 minutes later, and it's updated tags on 1000 out of 2500.  So looks it's going to take about 45 minutes in total to update all tags.

I realised working with lots of small files will always take a bit of time, but at the moment it does seem a lot slower than I'd expect.

My setup:  All media is on a network drive.  Accessed via Gigabit network from my HTPC.   The network drive is a RAID volume consisting of 14 drives spread across two 8 port SATA PCI-X controllers.  So it has some bandwidth available.

Speed test of my file server (without MC)

I did a quick test to see how fast my file server itself is. 

I wrote a script that found every *.xml file in my Video folders, and then copied each file to a central directory.    So this was a quick test of how fast 3500 XML files could be read and then re-written by the file server itself (excluding the network part).     It completed in 2 minutes 30 seconds.   I just wanted to mention this as some proof that my file server itself is more than capable of writing these files fast, so I think this shows that the slow performance of Sidecar media tagging is in MC itself.   (I didnt test the network component, but it's gigabit and should operate more than fast enough:  certainly faster than the speed MC is going at.)

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: Saving tags to video files (sidecar) is very slow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:56:35 am »

EDIT:  removed my post here, which was suggesting that the problem may not be specific to sidecars.  I think it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up