INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support  (Read 72556 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:07:06 pm »

Bob has been cranking away at getting PS3 and Xbox to play media files from our UPnP server (should probably be named DLNA now).

Please use the latest build from the top of this board.

This improves support on devices like the Philips Streamium.

EDIT -- Please use the latest build from this board.

Choose the device you have in the options for the UPnP Server (under Devices in the MC tree).If you choose PS3, you may need to restart the UPnP Server and also search for servers again on the PS3.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
PS3 UPnP/DLNA Support (feedback)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:31 am »

I've been begging for this one for years so I'm pretty excited to see that it is getting some attention! Here is my quick feedback from the 5mins I got to test while my son was trying to play COD5.

1) PS3 Recognition:  ;D  Big improvement - set the MC UPnP server to Options to "Automatic" and guess what - it just worked!  Well done!
2) Presentation in the PS3:  OK you need to get the MC Icon appearing in the PS3 (everyone else does) as yours is just the default "grey device".
3) Browsing in the PS3:  In the PS3 you navigate to the Audio, Images, and Video section in the CrossBar then select your UPnP/DLNA server.  When selecting the MC server you should then see the folders IN EITHER Audio, Images, Video as appropriate BUT you actually see the top level folders of Audio, Images, and Video (and while you can navigate the structure of all three only the content of the relevant type is shown)
4a) Playing Content (supported file type):    ;D Seems fine, streamed and played Video, Audio, Pic content just perfectly!
4b) Playing Content (transcoding required):  :'(  This is the big one for me and what a quality UPnP/DLNA server such as TVersity / PS3Server does so well.  I have three test cases from transcoding to a format that the PS3 can play.  
   Audio:  These have work before and I'm sure are find but:
     - WMA Lossless Audio (and I presume FLAC) Files:  The file would play but all I would hear is static.  Settings were "Convert audio if necessary" & "Uncompressed WAV" (need to test "Convert Always")
   Video:  Still no Conversion Options so I'm not expecting these will work yet but here is a couple of test cases to consider:
     - MPEG2/DTS Streams in MPG Container:  File would play but no sound.  This is a typical problem as the audio steam needs to be transcoded even if the container is supported.
     - DV-AVI Video Files:  These are standard DV Camcorder footage in an AVI container and while very common few AV Devices will play them without on the fly transcoding.  Typical issues are handling 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio correctly when streaming.

I've really not had much chance to test all the combinations but it seems the BIG missing feature VS progs like TVersity / PS Media Server is still the lack of Video Transcoding (I'm sure the rest is straight forward).

yours in UPnP/DLNA test bliss
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

bob

• Administrator
Re: PS3 UPnP/DLNA Support (feedback)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:43 am »

I've been begging for this one for years so I'm pretty excited to see that it is getting some attention! Here is my quick feedback from the 5mins I got to test while my son was trying to play COD5.

1) PS3 Recognition:  ;D  Big improvement - set the MC UPnP server to Options to "Automatic" and guess what - it just worked!  Well done!
I did some work on that but wasn't totally expecting it to work. Good to know
2) Presentation in the PS3:  OK you need to get the MC Icon appearing in the PS3 (everyone else does) as yours is just the default "grey device".
Agreed. There is no icon support in the upnp server at this time. It's on the list of additions.
3) Browsing in the PS3:  In the PS3 you navigate to the Audio, Images, and Video section in the CrossBar then select your UPnP/DLNA server.  When selecting the MC server you should then see the folders IN EITHER Audio, Images, Video as appropriate BUT you actually see the top level folders of Audio, Images, and Video (and while you can navigate the structure of all three only the content of the relevant type is shown)
Just got pictures and video working in the last build and I just got a chance to test it on my son's ps/3 last night and saw the same thing. This might require a ps/3 specific switch since the ps/3 is pretty much DLNA compliant other than that (standalone players see a top level hierarchy).
4a) Playing Content (supported file type):    ;D Seems fine, streamed and played Video, Audio, Pic content just perfectly!
4b) Playing Content (transcoding required):  :'(  This is the big one for me and what a quality UPnP/DLNA server such as TVersity / PS3Server does so well.  I have three test cases from transcoding to a format that the PS3 can play.  
   Audio:  These have work before and I'm sure are fine but:
     - WMA Lossless Audio (and I presume FLAC) Files:  The file would play but all I would hear is static.  Settings were "Convert audio if necessary" & "Uncompressed WAV" (need to test "Convert Always")
I'll check this again, it was working. It could be a side effect of the changes for the xbox. The only real difference between "Convert audio if necessary" & "Convert Always"  is that "Convert Always" will also do the conversion even if it the file type matches the encoder selected.
The logic here is a bit unusual. The "Convert audio if necessary" will convert ANYTHING to the encoder plugin selected if the original type doesn't match the selected encoder.

Video:  Still no Conversion Options so I'm not expecting these will work yet but here is a couple of test cases to consider:
     - MPEG2/DTS Streams in MPG Container:  File would play but no sound.  This is a typical problem as the audio steam needs to be transcoded even if the container is supported.
     - DV-AVI Video Files:  These are standard DV Camcorder footage in an AVI container and while very common few AV Devices will play them without on the fly transcoding.  Typical issues are handling 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio correctly when streaming.

I've really not had much chance to test all the combinations but it seems the BIG missing feature VS progs like TVersity / PS Media Server is still the lack of Video Transcoding (I'm sure the rest is straight forward).

yours in UPnP/DLNA test bliss
Nathan
I agree that it would be nice to get video transcoding working.
Thanks a LOT for the feedback on this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:57 pm »

jmone, could you try setting the server type to "DLNA (Philips 2500, etc)" instead of using "autodetect" and report back on the wave transcoding issue?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:34:09 pm »

The PS3 does come up when set to Automatic, which of course is good. But I suggest also adding it to the list of receivers. It eliminates some questions and further reinforces that this is a supported device.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:37:43 pm »

I think JRiver commitment to the Xbox and PS3 is a great thing. There are a lot of households that have these devices. All the other software I've tried, at least on the PS3, pale in comparison to MC so hopefully this will drive additional MC licenses.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:38:38 pm »

jmone, could you try setting the server type to "DLNA (Philips 2500, etc)" instead of using "autodetect" and report back on the wave transcoding issue?

;D Changed Receiver setting to "DLNA" and all files types (WMA, FLAC, MP3) were reported by the PS3 as PCM and played correctly
 :'( Changed Receiver setting to "Automatic" and all files types (WMA, FLAC, MP3) were reported by the PS3 as PCM but played static (i did get one burst of song once then it went to static).  Note the MC log reported "Cannot autodetect device, User-Agent: PLAYSTATION 3"

Also - please let me know if you need any specific test, logs or transcripts etc
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:02 am »

The PS3 does come up when set to Automatic, which of course is good. But I suggest also adding it to the list of receivers. It eliminates some questions and further reinforces that this is a supported device.

I sort of see that a different approach is needed.  At present you can have MC select the receiver type as either "Automatic" or ONE particular type....which is not going to work in households with different types of receivers. Ideally, MC's UPnP/DLNA server configuration should have:

Receiver Profiles
1) Robust Auto detection of Receiver types and simultaneous support for multiple connection from different receiver types
2) Default configures loaded for most popular Receiver types (incl PS3)
3) Ability to edit these configurations
4) Ability to add new customised configurations

Transcoding Options:  For each of the above profiles the settings should include:
1) Audio Transcode Options for each Container (WMA / MP3 / FLAC etc) and contents (eg convert if over certain bit rate, or if it is WMA Lossless but not standard WMA etc)
2) Video Transcode Options for each Container (MPG / AVI / MKV / MOV etc) and each of the streams it may contain, Video (eg MPEG1/2/4, VC1, DV, etc)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 01:08:29 am »

I got a bit more testing in till my son threw me off to play COD.

;D It really is quite stable, quick to browse and for the most part navigation works.  Couple of other items I noticed not covered in other posts and in no particular order

* I received a lot of "DLNA Protocol error 2104 has occurred" msg on the PS3 when browsing / playing tracks and also a "7531" error once when scanning for Media Servers. Neither of which prevented any playback - is the 2104 error related to the lack of Track Thumbnails perhaps.

* As Video transcoding is not yet supported, you see a lot of "Unsupported" video types when browsing.  You also get a few "the content can not be played" and "the data type is not supported" when trying to play video files where the container is supported but the PS3 does not like the video stream.

* The navigation on the PS3 is far to verbose.  For example if I select on the PS3 XBAR "Video---> Media Center" I'm then presented with the following tree representing my library (only a part is expanded)

Audio
Images
Video-------->
Playlists
                     Calendar
                     Disk Location
                     File Type / Genre / Name
                     Genre / Album / Year
                     Genre / Artist / Album
                     All Genres (6)
                     Home Videos
                     Movies ------------------>
                     Music Videos
                     TV Series
                     Utilities
                     Unassigned
                                                           Movies--------->
                                                                                  Movies----------->
                                                                                                            File A
                                                                                                            File B
                                                                                                            etc

By Comparison in TheaterView I'd see:
Audio
Images
Video--------->
Television
etc
                     All Genres (6)
                     Home Videos
                     Movies ------------------>(note: Theaterview suppresses the additional Movies / Movies)
                     Music Videos
                     TV Series
                     Utilities
                     Unassigned
                                                          File A
                                                          File B
                                                          etc
JRiver CEO Elect

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:13 am »

I was thinking of doing that as well since other DLNA devices don't necessarily support image/video content and that's an issue now that the PS3 can.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:16 am »

;D Changed Receiver setting to "DLNA" and all files types (WMA, FLAC, MP3) were reported by the PS3 as PCM and played correctly
 :'( Changed Receiver setting to "Automatic" and all files types (WMA, FLAC, MP3) were reported by the PS3 as PCM but played static (i did get one burst of song once then it went to static).  Note the MC log reported "Cannot autodetect device, User-Agent: PLAYSTATION 3"

Also - please let me know if you need any specific test, logs or transcripts etc
Thanks, I'll see about adding that User-Agent to the auto detect.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:00 am »

I sort of see that a different approach is needed.  At present you can have MC select the receiver type as either "Automatic" or ONE particular type....which is not going to work in households with different types of receivers. Ideally, MC's UPnP/DLNA server configuration should have:

Will check into this. I was thinking this issue would come up also.

Receiver Profiles
1) Robust Auto detection of Receiver types and simultaneous support for multiple connection from different receiver types
2) Default configures loaded for most popular Receiver types (incl PS3)
3) Ability to edit these configurations
4) Ability to add new customised configurations

Transcoding Options:  For each of the above profiles the settings should include:
1) Audio Transcode Options for each Container (WMA / MP3 / FLAC etc) and contents (eg convert if over certain bit rate, or if it is WMA Lossless but not standard WMA etc)
2) Video Transcode Options for each Container (MPG / AVI / MKV / MOV etc) and each of the streams it may contain, Video (eg MPEG1/2/4, VC1, DV, etc)
I think that would about cover all of the bases ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:15 am »

I got a bit more testing in till my son threw me off to play COD.
I made mine play the xbox cod today so I could get my hands on the 360 for a while :)
;D It really is quite stable, quick to browse and for the most part navigation works.  Couple of other items I noticed not covered in other posts and in no particular order

* I received a lot of "DLNA Protocol error 2104 has occurred" msg on the PS3 when browsing / playing tracks and also a "7531" error once when scanning for Media Servers. Neither of which prevented any playback - is the 2104 error related to the lack of Track Thumbnails perhaps.
I saw that too, I think the thumbnailing is a good guess, or the icons perhaps. The protocol seems solid.
* As Video transcoding is not yet supported, you see a lot of "Unsupported" video types when browsing.  You also get a few "the content can not be played" and "the data type is not supported" when trying to play video files where the container is supported but the PS3 does not like the video stream.
Video transcoding is going to be a barrel of laughs.
* The navigation on the PS3 is far to verbose.  For example if I select on the PS3 XBAR "Video---> Media Center" I'm then presented with the following tree representing my library (only a part is expanded)

Audio
Images
Video-------->
Playlists
                     Calendar
                     Disk Location
                     File Type / Genre / Name
                     Genre / Album / Year
                     Genre / Artist / Album
                     All Genres (6)
                     Home Videos
                     Movies ------------------>
                     Music Videos
                     TV Series
                     Utilities
                     Unassigned
                                                           Movies--------->
                                                                                  Movies----------->
                                                                                                            File A
                                                                                                            File B
                                                                                                            etc

By Comparison in TheaterView I'd see:
Audio
Images
Video--------->
Television
etc
                     All Genres (6)
                     Home Videos
                     Movies ------------------>(note: Theaterview suppresses the additional Movies / Movies)
                     Music Videos
                     TV Series
                     Utilities
                     Unassigned
                                                          File A
                                                          File B
                                                          etc
Agreed. It's the standard MC view. I messed with movies on my view to eliminate the 2 subcatagories but it still messy.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: XBox, PlayStation 3, and DLNA support -- improved in build 94
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:56 am »

I tried this with the Xbox 360 and Media Center never showed up on the Xbox 360 as source (while Orb does show up, BTW).

The UPnP log entries were the following:

11/05/09 23:34:16 - JRiver UPnP Server Version 1.0.50 starting...
11/05/09 23:34:17 - UPnP Media Server Device started on port 2869
11/05/09 23:34:17 - Running
11/05/09 23:41:07 - Autodetected: Xbox 360
11/05/09 23:41:07 - Received request for device description

The receiver is set to automatic detection in the UPnP options because we also have Roku Soundbridges on our network.

Why isn't MC showing up as a source on the Xbox?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:16:38 am »

Try setting it to XBox.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 10:23:00 am »

The receiver is set to automatic detection in the UPnP options because we also have Roku Soundbridges on our network.
Any other settings needed for the Soundbridge?   I've got someone trying to set this up for the Soundbridge and it isn't working for him.  Firmware?  Conversion settings?

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:34 am »

Try choosing "Roku SoundBridge" in the options. The auto-detect may not work if the firmware isn't a specific version.

sunfire7

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:54:57 am »

tried last night with my xbox 360 and it recognice the server and resolve the name (MEDIA CENTER) but i cant connect  ::).  I also tried with firewall turned off.  Maybe is something to do with ports in my router, have somebody streaming to xbox with success?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »

Interesting, it works here. If there is nothing between your 360 and the PC it should just work. Did you select xbox 360 from the options menu?
The 360 I have is on the next to current firmware release. It also works on my sons 360 with the current release.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »

Video transcoding is going to be a barrel of laughs.

Ahh yes - I'm sure it will be fun but this is also where the demand is at.  TVersity has so far had 6Mill+ Downloads and 32K+ users on their forum so there is a plenty of demand.  On of TVersity (and other similar prog) weakness is that they just try to determine if tanscoding is needed by file type (eg AVI) instead of both the container (AVI) and the streams it contains (Video, Audio etc).  One benifit with MC is that when adding a file to the Library JRWorker does it's things a builds a graph - at this stage you may be able to determin and store in the library a range of info that will then be useful to determin if you need to transcode a file (including what Streams are present, their type, resolution, etc etc).
JRiver CEO Elect

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 03:35:54 pm »

I wish I could find something else that gives reasonable views on the PS3. When one turns off visual support in the MC upnp server the audio view is pretty good but the PS3 doesn't seem to provide enough information to vary the views when one switches from music to video, etc on the PS3 crossbar. None of the other servers I've tried including amongst others, TVersity show different views in music, video, etc. (like music always shows up under pictures and video for example).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 05:57:13 pm »

I wish I could find something else that gives reasonable views on the PS3. When one turns off visual support in the MC upnp server the audio view is pretty good but the PS3 doesn't seem to provide enough information to vary the views when one switches from music to video, etc on the PS3 crossbar. None of the other servers I've tried including amongst others, TVersity show different views in music, video, etc. (like music always shows up under pictures and video for example).

It is annoying but you do get used to the fact that 2/3rd of your tree is redundant in each section fo the xbar....anyone the biggie is going to be video transcoding - let me know if you want any tests etc...
JRiver CEO Elect

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

I tried this with the Xbox 360 and Media Center never showed up on the Xbox 360 as source (while Orb does show up, BTW).

Per Jim's reply above--

1. Setting the receiver to Xbox did not do any good. It resulted in the following UPnP log entries when the Xbox select source menu comes up (but MC still does not appear as a source):

11/06/09 18:44:51 - GET request of /DeviceDescription.xml
11/06/09 18:44:51 - Received request for device description
11/06/09 18:46:12 - Received GENA message
11/06/09 18:46:12 - GENA Renew message

Also, this screws up all of the Soundbridge menus.

2. Settining the receiver to DLNA doesn't work either, generating the following UPnP log entries:

11/06/09 18:50:48 - Received GENA message
11/06/09 18:50:48 - GENA Renew message
11/06/09 18:50:51 - GET request of /DeviceDescription.xml
11/06/09 18:50:51 - Received request for device description

However, the Soundbridge appears to work fine on that setting.

Any further tests you would like me to do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 07:30:31 pm »

I believe that the current state of the UPnP server is that it can support multiple UPnP devices, but it won't do XBox (which is not UPnP) and UPnP at the same time.

A possible way to do this is to run two instances of MC.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 11:56:11 pm »

I believe that the current state of the UPnP server is that it can support multiple UPnP devices, but it won't do XBox (which is not UPnP) and UPnP at the same time.

Except its not doing the Xbox for me at all. :) Need any more data on that?

BTW, any reason why it can't work with multiple types of devices simultaneously?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 07:22:57 am »

Except its not doing the Xbox for me at all. :) Need any more data on that?
Firmware?

sunfire7

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:20 am »

i cant get it work with the xbox too, If i set to auto it correctly detects its a xbox 360 device, and the xbox recognize it, but cant connect in the end, im thinking is my network setup and not MC, can you guys describe me a simple setup to test it?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 01:48:32 pm »

Firmware?

It has whatever the latest publicly available firmware is, if you need more specificity than that, let me know where I can find the information to provide.

water1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 03:37:14 pm »

XBox 360 shows in UPnP log but I don't see it on the 360. Of course I don't really know where I'm supposed to see it.

I am now able to use media sharing on my Directv DVR's. The last time I tried in MC12 or 13 it would not work.
John

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13:16 am »

I got it connected to the 360 fine ... after I statically set the port. (the receiver was set to 360 for me)

I was able to browse and play both audio and video - even HD.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 07:10:52 am »

I got it connected to the 360 fine ... after I statically set the port. (the receiver was set to 360 for me)

I was able to browse and play both audio and video - even HD.
Can you provide complete details?

On which side, did you set the port?  And what was it set to?

Do you mean that our UPnP Server was set to XBox?

Thanks for the help.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 07:54:59 am »

Can you provide complete details?

On which side, did you set the port?  And what was it set to?

Do you mean that our UPnP Server was set to XBox?

Thanks for the help.
Jim,

Yes, I set the port on MC's side, and the receiver as Xbox 360. The port is set to 3679 - which is what it was when I enabled "Specify TCP port to use" option.

FWIW, I dont have firewalls or other 'network protection' type measures anywhere on my internal (household) network (I have a DMZ setup - amongst other things ;) )

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:10 am »

Jim,
Yes, I set the port on MC's side, and the receiver as Xbox 360. The port is set to 3679 - which is what it was when I enabled "Specify TCP port to use" option.

FWIW, I dont have firewalls or other 'network protection' type measures anywhere on my internal (household) network (I have a DMZ setup - amongst other things ;) )
I don't think anyone should use auto-detect for now. When we get to the state where multiple devices are working, autodetect should work then.

Selecting the "xbox 360" configuration is absolutely necessary for the xbox. Having to set the port statically should not be necessary.

confishy, could you try it again without the static port? (stop the MC uPnP server, unclick the "specify port" checkbox, restart the uPnP server). Go to the xbox system options -> network -> test pc and the xbox  will "redetect" your configuration. See if MC shows up on the xbox and check to see if you can play something.

If that doesn't work, choose the "Advanced" configuration, it will start with the existing xbox 360 switches from your last configuration, stop the MC uPnP server, unclick the "omit host portion of the url" checkbox, restart the uPnP server. Go to the xbox system options -> network -> test pc and the xbox  will "redetect" your configuration. See if MC shows up on the xbox and check to see if you can play something. Thanks...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:12 am »

i cant get it work with the xbox too, If i set to auto it correctly detects its a xbox 360 device, and the xbox recognize it, but cant connect in the end, im thinking is my network setup and not MC, can you guys describe me a simple setup to test it?
Try yours without autodetect (select the xbox 360 option).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 09:58:00 am »

It should do multiple devices if they are all DLNA compatible. The xbox 360 is uPnP (with a couple of quirks) but it's NOT DLNA.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 10:01:30 am »

Can you try setting the MC uPnP server to DLNA, then restart it. See if the Roku Soundbridges work ( I think this may be Roku firmware dependent).
Report back then we'll try the next step.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »

Can you try setting the MC uPnP server to DLNA, then restart it. See if the Roku Soundbridges work ( I think this may be Roku firmware dependent).
Report back then we'll try the next step.

Per my prior message, the Soundbridges DO work when the UPnP server is set to DLNA, but the Xbox 360 does not.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 03:37:52 pm »

Unforch my xbox is doing the rrod today so I can't test this easily however it might be interesting to try using the advanced setting and choosing both WMC compat AND DLNA. You may have to uncheck the "omit host url's" checkbox. It may just work on both then.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 07:06:47 pm »

I don't think anyone should use auto-detect for now. When we get to the state where multiple devices are working, autodetect should work then.

Selecting the "xbox 360" configuration is absolutely necessary for the xbox. Having to set the port statically should not be necessary.

confishy, could you try it again without the static port? (stop the MC uPnP server, unclick the "specify port" checkbox, restart the uPnP server). Go to the xbox system options -> network -> test pc and the xbox  will "redetect" your configuration. See if MC shows up on the xbox and check to see if you can play something.

If that doesn't work, choose the "Advanced" configuration, it will start with the existing xbox 360 switches from your last configuration, stop the MC uPnP server, unclick the "omit host portion of the url" checkbox, restart the uPnP server. Go to the xbox system options -> network -> test pc and the xbox  will "redetect" your configuration. See if MC shows up on the xbox and check to see if you can play something. Thanks...

I can't try now, but I'm pretty sure I'd tried the Xbox as the receiver type with automatic port selection, but it didn't work. I will try to confirm that this evening (~0:00GMT)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support -- improved in build 94
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 02:21:18 am »

Bob - in case you missed the comment on the V95 beta post

Some feeback for Bob on this build:
1) "PlayStation 3" preset option works fine (just like DLNA)
2) As expected, "Automatic Detection" still fails as before (Cannot autodetect device, User-Agent: PLAYSTATION 3)
JRiver CEO Elect

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 09:06:34 am »

Bob - in case you missed the comment on the V95 beta post

Thanks, I'm working on cover art/thumbs right now. The autodetect routines need a complete rewrite unforch. The specific Playstation 3 preset is so I can modify the views eventually as well as handle the different media playability.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »

The autodetect routines need a complete rewrite unforch.

But think of the fun you will have when you get to the VideoTranscoding code!
JRiver CEO Elect

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »

But think of the fun you will have when you get to the VideoTranscoding code!

Well. I know that would be useful for ME!

JohnT

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:17 pm »

XBox 360 shows in UPnP log but I don't see it on the 360. Of course I don't really know where I'm supposed to see it.

I am now able to use media sharing on my Directv DVR's. The last time I tried in MC12 or 13 it would not work.
My son had the same problem and then discovered that unchecking the "specify tcp port" checkbox in the upnp options dialog fixed it for him.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 05:06:30 pm »

I have a dumb question. Can you run the server as a Windows service? I would like to run the server without the whole UI.

I was using build 90 and I had to kill it because its memory usage rose to 256MB. I run it 7/24 on a home server, the machine not the OS. The OS is Win XP. I will try the latest build and see if things improve.

An interesting idea for the future would be to allows plugging in other media services. See PlayOn's plugins for an idea of what I mean. Scripting support is nice too.

nelsentkd

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 06:12:16 pm »

I tried this first on my PS3 and the navigation worked but it didn't like the music format (mp3)! I going to try to always change the format. Data type not supported. Then tried using the DNLA and still no luck.
I changed to my Xbox 360 and everything worked fine for the playlists. I have a lot of music and the other categories like genre, and albums didn't seem to work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »

It could be the firmware on the PS3.

Garethster

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 07:47:32 pm »

I got MC build 14.0.96 working with my PS3 using UPnP Server  on Windows 7 64bit; following are the settings that worked best for me:

1. Always convert audio
2. Encoder: Uncompreesed Wave
3. Receiver: Playstation 3

I have a mixed bag of audio files that I want to stream, mostly MP3 and FLAC, I tried various settings - most combinations gave me a lot of "Unsupported format" messages; also I found that making any changes to the server options required a restart of the MC application in order for the PS3 to find the server again.

Now the bad news - while the server seemd to transcode the media files without any errors the audio quality on the playback was a little short of HiFi with an audible hiss overriding the playback - not overtly loud, but audible enough to be annoying.

Best effort I have seen to date.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:20 pm »

I got MC build 14.0.96 working with my PS3 using UPnP Server  on Windows 7 64bit; following are the settings that worked best for me:

1. Always convert audio
2. Encoder: Uncompreesed Wave
3. Receiver: Playstation 3

I have a mixed bag of audio files that I want to stream, mostly MP3 and FLAC, I tried various settings - most combinations gave me a lot of "Unsupported format" messages; also I found that making any changes to the server options required a restart of the MC application in order for the PS3 to find the server again.

Now the bad news - while the server seemd to transcode the media files without any errors the audio quality on the playback was a little short of HiFi with an audible hiss overriding the playback - not overtly loud, but audible enough to be annoying.
I definitely hear the hiss. I didn't notice this in a previous build.

I could not get the server to working setting the receiver as Playstation 3. The odd path I chose was to select Playstation 3 as receiver and then selected Advanced. That works for me.

I am using convert as necessary option. FLAC is working. Haven't tried MP3.

Current memory usage is 26MB. That's much better than 256MB. We'll see where it is as after a few days. What is real cool is that Media Center is not even registering processor cycles, 0%.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 10:21:09 pm »

I definitely hear the hiss.

Thanks for nothing guys, now I hear it..... ;D  (but then the PS3 is only outputting to a Plasma with inbuilt speakers).  What surprises me is that there is no transcoding....MC should just be decoding our FLAC (etc) tracks to WAV/LPCM for the PS3...no idead why/how the noise is being introduced.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up