INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: logitech dinovo mini, netbook, htpc remote, universal remote, keyboard based?  (Read 4406 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

whats everyone using? why? drawbacks? how are you using it?

ive been playing\tweaking with netbooks last few weeks. and its a great idea but with a big library it REALLY lags.

ive been looking at the remote offered here, logitech dinovo mini, universal remotes, keyboard based, harmony remotes,  etc.. and can't seem to find what will do it all.

any of you ran across a nice universal type remote that allows for minimum of 8 devices to control. allows for macros? has backlit keys, has the ability to use mouse on it, and the ability to use keyboard\text type input(for when you are in theaterview and choose say music\rock tesla, you would just type in tes. and the library would bring you right there) meaning the numbers also show letter decals so people know that the number 1 button is also abc?
do the harmony remotes allow you to control mouse? or input text for searching? are the buttons on it programmable?

docking stations? rechargable batteries?

the logitech dinovo mini looks nice its small. but doesnt allow for controlling other theater devices\lights. its almost looking like i will have to endup with theater remote and a htpc type remote\logitech dinovo mini?

any suggestions? tips on what you guys are using? what you have found in your google searches would be appreciated.
Ty

)p(

the logitech dinovo mini looks nice its small. but doesnt allow for controlling other theater devices\lights. its almost looking like i will have to endup with theater remote and a htpc type remote\logitech dinovo mini?

I use the dinovo mini in our theater setup. Works superb. The only drawback is that it does not have ir support. But you can workaround that by using an ir blaster from the pc with some control software that maps keyboard shortcuts to ir commands. For example hip...works very well and is free. http://www.byremote.com.au/downloads/default.asp?SCLASS=HIP

peter

HTPC4ME

so basically you have a seperate home theater remote for your components?

)p(

so basically you have a seperate home theater remote for your components?

Nope, this is our dedicated theatre setup...ie only projector, htpc and receiver controlled by the dinovo. I used to use the ir blaster/hip combo with the dinovo to control the volume on the recevier. Now I just have the receiver set on the highest volume I ever play and control the volume on the pc because I could not hear the difference in sound quality.

peter

imugli

• MC Beta Team

Hey Dude,

Replied to your other post re using the Harmony One as a keyboard / mouse, but will do so here too...

Basically, the One is a 'Host' if you will, with no native codes of it's own, so it needs to be programmed from an existing remote.

You could then use a third party program such as Girder or HIP to translate the IR command to a keyboard command and control the PC like that if you wished.

Question, though, if I may?

For mine the idea of a HTPC is to pretty much to away with the keyboard and control it using IR from 10 feet away. Is there a reason you need keyboard commands?

HTPC4ME

Thanks For Reply Guys...

yes.. when in  theater view. audio, video or images.. once you get to where you want to go. example.. audio, then genre, then rock, then there is certain artist i want to listen too... on the keyboard i just type tes. and it will automatically goto the band tesla.  so i def. need a  keyboard. plus it helps others who are looking for files. so they dont have to scroll through hundreds of thousands of files to get to the Letters Tesla.
Pages: [1]   Go Up