INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stops Responding - Win 7 64 bit  (Read 4486 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
Stops Responding - Win 7 64 bit
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:42:48 am »

I'm having an issue with MC and win 7 64 bit.  The program constantly stops responding and then win 7 shuts it down.  This happens when it sits for a bit then I try and play an mkv or at the end of watching a movie (mkv).  Basically all the time.  The only time I don't have issues with mkv's is when start the program up.

I say this happens with mkv's because it's really all I'm playing at this point.  I will try and let it sit for a while then play a home movie (m2t).

I went to the event viewer and it just basically said mc shut down it didn't really give any reason why.

I can't seem to pin it down.  It's not a power setting because it stops responding at the end of a movie (ie. when I press stop) and I don't think it's a hardware issue becuase this doesn't seem to happen with other players such as windows media classic or acer arcade which came with my system.  I've changed filters and that doesn't help either.

Funny thing is it wasn't happening when I first started and I haven't changed a thing.  I guess that's computers.

Are there any known issues with MC 14 and win 7 64bit? Is there a log that I can post that will give you more of an idea as to what happened?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stops Responding - Win 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:48 am »

If it happens when using Theater View but not when Standard View, it's either the video driver or DirectX.  Updating both wouldn't hurt.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:47:43 am »

Yes...in theatre view.  I'm updating my video card right now.

Anyway to tell which one it is?  Are there known issues with 7 64bit and jrmc?

It's happening every time now which is brutal because I spent $400 on this thing only for it not to work. 

wongjai888

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:50:15 am »

MC14 works well with Win7 64-bit.  I've been using it for several months now and it's never crashed (other than when viewing images, but that bug has been fixed).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:58:39 am »

There are no known issues with Win7 64 bit.

Update DirectX from Microsoft.  Even if it's new.

Test in Standard View.  Theater View uses 3D, which may not be working correctly on your hardware.  Standard View does not.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:30 am »

Thanks...should I install / reinstall both 9c and 10?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:30 am »

Just visit the Microsoft web site and follow the instructions for updating.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:23 am »

Will do.  It appears it was a video card issue.  I updated and it looks like we're fine...I was fine before too which is the odd part but nevertheless.

I feel like a meatball because normally I do all this before posting but didn't this time.

Thanks for the support.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:51 am »

You're welcome.  Good it's working.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:43:58 am »

Spoke too soon.  "Media Center has stopped working".

Crap....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:35 am »

It still may be a driver issue.

Did you update DirectX?

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:54:25 am »

Yes...oddly enought I rebooted and jriver gave me the media center did not close properly screen with the option to disable things...I didn't click anything and a few minutes later I look up and it says jriver media center is not installed on this computer.  Please install first.

Maybe I should back up my library and uninstsall and reintsall?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:00 am »

Reinstalling wouldn't hurt, but I don't think that this is an MC problem.

Did you try running in Standard View?  If that works, the problem is with 3D and that's either the video card or DirectX.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:08:43 pm »

Ya standard view seems to work fine.  I downloaded directx and rebooted.  Left it for a bit in standard view then went to play a file and works fine.

Crap...what's the point of an HTPC if I can't use theatre view.  Does it make any sense that I can browse in theatre view fine but when I select a file to play or when I press stop when watching a file then it stops responding?

Anything you guys can do on your end?  I guess it is a driver / hardware issue but who knows if it will ever get fixed from acer.  The funny thing was that it was working fine up until a few days ago.

This is really disappointing because I sent out and bought this plus a nas and drive for a total of $800 now it effectively useless.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »

Do you have a different video card you can try?

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:35 pm »

It's an acer revo so no.  You can't try anything else.

I seem to have solved it albeit likely termporarily.  I uninstalled haali, and cccp and jriver.  I uninstalled the video drivers then rebooted and loaded the most recent.  Rebooted then installed jriver.  Then resintalled cccp and update haali.

It seems to work right now but it worked like this before so I'm not holding out hope.  I'll update in a few weeks and let you know.

However when I reinstalled cccp a problem has arisen...I can't seem to play 2 movies.  This happened on my last system and when I updated to cccp it solved the problem.  Not this time.  It tries to play it then just skips to the next movie.

One thing that seems to bother me (maybe you have an answer) is that the hanging only happened with video.  It didn't happen in theatre view when I was going through pictures.  Anyway some of this can be attributed to some coding issues with jriver?

I suspect I'll be updating this thread with a "I knew it" sooner rather than later.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:45:52 pm »

Ya, it's back to not working so I'm really at my wits end here and the store won't take it back becasue it's a software related issue.

I'm working through all the past nvidia drivers with no luck.

If anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them.  The issue I'm having in my head is that it was working flawlessly for about a week so I must have done something in the meantime.  I know computers just stop working but that's hardware and this seems to be driver issue.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 06:17:30 am »

So given it was working at some point I went to a restore point near or at the first time it was working and it seems to be working now.  But before I restored  I looked at the programs that would be affected and in the list was directx.  So I'm thinking at some point over the week I must have downloaded a directx update that doesn't jive with my card.  I don't think it's a driver issue becuase before I restored I uninstalled the video driver and then rebooted and it auto installed driver version 186.....even after I did this jrm still had problems but when I restored I went to see what driver version it restored to and it was 186 so I'm pretty confident its not a driver issue.

Suffice to say I'm not going to install any updates and leave it as is.

Thanks for all your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:35 am »

Ya, it's back to not working so I'm really at my wits end here and the store won't take it back becasue it's a software related issue.
Search for some other 3D programs to see if you can duplicate it with another one.  Games often use 3D.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 08:37:51 am »

I wonder if it is happening when the video changes format; mov to mpg for example.  In that case, Quicktime may be used for one and not for the other.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:25 am »

From my experience the video choice doesn't matter based on the way I was testing it.  It seems to be some conflict between a directx update and my video card.

Neveretheless got it rockin but if this thing comes out of the box with those updates it could be problematic for other customers.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:02 am »

Can you explain what you did to solve it?

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »

Yes....actually Jim I posted it in another forum (should have added link before but here it ishttp://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55664.0.  I simply restored back to an earlier point where it was working out of the box.  I no longer have the directx update on my system so I can't say which one it was exactly...sorry in retrospect that would have been helpful.

I suspect this will get solved with an update to the drivers as some point but thankfully it worked out of the box.

Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up