INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: load new library from external data file (xls, mdb, etc)  (Read 1484 times)

jbpsrca

• Recent member
load new library from external data file (xls, mdb, etc)
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:45:33 pm »

Hi folks,

Just installed Media Center 14. Looks great. But...

All my files are .wav files with no tag data. I have extensive tag information in an MS Access database (including most standard Tag fields, plus many custom Tag fields).

What is the easiest way to import this data into an MC 14 Library? Is there some type of batch data load feature that I haven't found yet? Is there some way to do an ODBC type connection to the MC 14 library database? Or upload an XML file of Tag data?

Once loaded, is there some facility for easy mass maintenance of Tag data for multiple files (such as Excel style copy / paste to multiple rows, etc - seems like Expression language might have some use for this with the Replace command, but I haven't found much practical samples of how to use Expression language extensively yet).

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: load new library from external data file (xls, mdb, etc)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:55 am »

All my files are .wav files with no tag data. I have extensive tag information in an MS Access database (including most standard Tag fields, plus many custom Tag fields).

What is the easiest way to import this data into an MC 14 Library? Is there some type of batch data load feature that I haven't found yet? Is there some way to do an ODBC type connection to the MC 14 library database? Or upload an XML file of Tag data?

You can user MPL playlists for importing data. MPL files are in xml format. Export a playlist in MPL format for inspecting the file structure.

A couple of posts & threads that might help:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50126.msg360076#msg360076
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40963.msg279717#msg279717

EDIT

Once loaded, is there some facility for easy mass maintenance of Tag data for multiple files (such as Excel style copy / paste to multiple rows, etc - seems like Expression language might have some use for this with the Replace command, but I haven't found much practical samples of how to use Expression language extensively yet).

MC has some great features for tag maintenance, but they may not be similar to what you use in Excel tables. Perhaps you could post some examples of what exactly you would like to.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jbpsrca

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:58:23 am »

Awesome, Alex.

Your previous posts were perfect. I can easily create an XML MPL file to do what I want using the File Import Playlist step. Wonderful!

In terms of Excel - like Tag Editing functions, I do this type of stuff al the time.

Here's an example: I just bought a collection of Diana Krall CDs, and import into the library. But I don't like the standard Genre of "Jazz" assigned to them, I'd rather consider her "Nightclub" Genre. I'd like an easy way of selecting a Field (Fields) and specify a criteria (Artist = Diana Krall), and then set all values for another field in one easy step (change Genre to "Nightclub"). In Excel, I'd filter Artist for "Diana Krall", then Paste "Nightclub" into the Genre column. In SQL, I'd use a Select / Update statement. What would be a similar function in MC?

Another example: I just imported an album, and I want to quickly work down the list of tracks and enter a Rating and Intensity value. In Excel, I just type the values in as I move my cursor down the rows. In MC, from a list view, it looks like I have to right click on a row, select Tag Edit, move my cursor to the left side of the screen, scroll through the list of available tags, and then enter the values. Not impossible, but a few too many clicks and movements to be preferable.

Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:23:19 am »

Here's an example: I just bought a collection of Diana Krall CDs, and import into the library. But I don't like the standard Genre of "Jazz" assigned to them, I'd rather consider her "Nightclub" Genre. I'd like an easy way of selecting a Field (Fields) and specify a criteria (Artist = Diana Krall), and then set all values for another field in one easy step (change Genre to "Nightclub"). In Excel, I'd filter Artist for "Diana Krall", then Paste "Nightclub" into the Genre column. In SQL, I'd use a Select / Update statement. What would be a similar function in MC?

I would simply write Diana Krall (or [Artist]=[Diana Krall]) in the search box and change the Genre either

-- directly in the Genre column in a list view (click inside the Genre column, select all files [Ctrl+A], and press F2 to edit).

or

-- in Action Window > Tag (select all files in the list and change the value in Tag)

Another example: I just imported an album, and I want to quickly work down the list of tracks and enter a Rating and Intensity value. In Excel, I just type the values in as I move my cursor down the rows. In MC, from a list view, it looks like I have to right click on a row, select Tag Edit, move my cursor to the left side of the screen, scroll through the list of available tags, and then enter the values. Not impossible, but a few too many clicks and movements to be preferable.

You can simply click the stars in the rating column. It shows five dots that change to star symbols when clicked. A sixth clickable item shows up when you hover over it and the file is rated. It removes the rating. If you want to rate more than one file select the files first.

Intensity is intended to be filled automatically by the file analyzer, but you can create a user field that shows up as a "5-star" field and works similarly like the Rating field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jbpsrca

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »

excellent. thanks! That's all the tips I need for this one. Now that I'm getting familiar with the interface, I like alot of the tag editing features. This looks very flexible and powerful, once you figure out how to click around and select, etc.

appreciate your help! great forum , here.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up