INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding streams to library  (Read 4604 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Adding streams to library
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

I currently download/create m3u files with links to web radio. Playing these files in MC results in streaming audio.  Because MC thinks these files are playlists, it stores in the Imported Playlist section of Playlist with a name of HTTP Stream. I would like to see it imported as data or audio where they can be easily manipulate (genres, quality, etc) just as you do with audio files.

This doesn't work for all streams, but seems to for most... Add a stream using Connected Media. Select "Add stream to Connected Media" to include the item in My Connected Media. This records the URL of the stream as a Filename, where it can be tagged like any other file.

Rick, the Connected Media is a very nice feature for sites that have multiple streams available from 1 link. I especially like the record function. However, The current method I use of importing is less cumbersome than having to add each individual stream. It would be nice if I could add these imported entries to My Connected Media from Recently Imported.

I wasn't suggesting this out of any particular fondness for Connected Media. I wanted to do exactly the same thing as you ("easily manipulate (genres, quality, etc) just as you do with audio files"), and this is the only solution I could find. MC treats M3U files as playlists (because that's what they are), and I doubt that's going to change. But it is possible to record a URL as a file, and catalog it just like any other media file. I found one way of acquiring and recording a URL was to use Connected Media. If the stream is playing, a more direct way is to select it in PN and Import Into Library.

Having imported the stream URL, adjust your views so they're available where you want them. If your main audio view is restricted only to Media Type = Audio, they will be there. I tag them with Genre = Radio to isolate them. I also have a separate "Radio" view that is restricted to Filename (path) starting with HTTP: or MMS: (so they show up there even if I haven't tagged Genre = Radio). See the attached screen shot. The last entry is one I just downloaded, played and imported, but have not yet tagged.

These M3U seem to normally include a number of similar URL's that all play the same stream. I can only guess that redundancy is so it one fails another can be used. I have yet to notice any obvious problem from having imported only one URL for each stream. I have no idea whether the redundancy is unnecessary, or I'm just lucky.

I've also used this technique in a number of cases where a playlist file is not provided and the URL is not otherwise exposed. This seems common for commercial radio stations who obviously want you to listen, but only at their site. For many of these, the URL can be found using a sniffer like URL Snooper.

FPacheco

• Recent member
Re: Adding streams to library
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:03:46 pm »

I tried some of your suggestions over the weekend, especially the Import what's currently playing, but selecting Playing Now displays a blank screen and no Import Into Library option.   I think if I could get this to work, it would help my current situation, although I remain concerned because I have no tangible asset that I can safely store in the event MC loses it's tag. It would be more efficient if MC imported a file of streaming URL(s) (whether m3u or something else) and placed them directly into My Connected Media.

My current method of importing m3u files I think remains much faster.  Funny thing is MC reads the URL in the m3u file and ends up importing 2 items for each file (the m3u file and the HTTP Stream entry). Now I need to find a way to associate these 2 files and customize a view that will display them for ease of manipulation.

I'd appreciate other suggestion you may have.

FP

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding streams to library
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

I tried some of your suggestions over the weekend, especially the Import  what's currently playing, but selecting Playing Now displays a blank screen and no Import Into Library option.

If it's currently playing, it must be in PN. "Import Into Library" will appear on the context menu—unless it's already in the library. If your playlist actually contains multiple unique streams (rather than alternate URL's for the same stream), you can add them to the library all at once.

I remain concerned because I have no tangible asset that I can safely store in the event MC loses it's tag.

Export them all to an MPL playlist file.

It would be more efficient if MC imported a file of streaming URL(s) (whether m3u or something else) and placed them directly into My Connected Media.

It's likely MC is going to continue to treat playlist files like playlists. I don't know of any other way to do what you want, other than what I've suggested.

Pages: [1]   Go Up