INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server: what's the right strategy?  (Read 1384 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Library Server: what's the right strategy?
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:30:48 am »

Hello,
I've been using a shared library staying away from library server.. now want to make a switch.

What's the right way of using the library server?

I just tried:
-- installed MC15 on the fileserver and set it to run as Media Server, serving the library.
-- on my clent, I connect to that library.
-- all the above seems to be working

Now, the questions:
-- how do I import the new content? "Import" on the client is disabled. "Auto Import" on the server is the only way?
-- what happens when two clients are connected?
-- how/when a client updates the server? There's an option "Auto sync.. on shutdown". Only on shutdown?

Sorry, if these are obvious things..
Thanks!
--max

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library Server: what's the right strategy?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33:06 am »

Played some more with LS.

-- when I do Search for Library Servers, the client finds the server and all is well
-- I add this remote library in library manager as 192.168.0.XXX:52199 named "Fileserver" and set it as default
-- when after a while I restart MC on the client it won't connect to "Fileserver" library. If I do Search for Library Servers, then it connects.
Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong?

My older questions remain:

-- how do I import the new content? "Import" on the client is disabled. "Auto Import" on the server is the only way?
-- what happens when two clients are connected?
-- how/when a client updates the server? There's an option "Auto sync.. on shutdown". Only on shutdown?

Thanks!
--max

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library Server: what's the right strategy?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:43 pm »

I am curious about this as well.  My goal is to have one pc do all the tv recording and be the library server of all media types.  Then, I need to be able to schedule, watch, and delete tv recordings from a client pc.  I also need to be able to add and edit photos from the client pc and have them show up in the server.  There are currently several barriers to this scenario:

1) I can watch tv recordings from the client just fine but when I try to delete nothing happens (no error and the file is not removed).
2) There appears to be no way to schedule tv recordings to happen on the server from the client.
3) I can add photos from the client by having auto-import set up on the server on a network drive and copying photos to that drive.  However, if I add keywords to photos they are never written to the files themselves even if I do a manual library sync.
4) Even if all the above was working it seems that a manual library sync would be necessary too often to make it usable for others in my household.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP
Pages: [1]   Go Up