INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI and kernel streaming not working  (Read 7083 times)

jherbert

• World Citizen
WASAPI and kernel streaming not working
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:31:09 am »

I cannot get WASAPI and kernel streaming to work. Direct sound works without any problems. Kernel streaming hangs the application, WASAPI generates the following error:

Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files, Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location.

Error details:

Playback could not be started on the output 'Windows Audio Session API WASAPI using the format 44100 Hz, 16 Bits Per Sampie, 2 Channels'.

This output format may not be supported by your hardware, You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options.

As mentioned, no problems with direct X from 32 to 96k. There are no DSP plugins involved. OS is Windows 7, output goes to a matrix mini-i DA via a teralink X2 USB>SPDIF-Converter.

This used to work before. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WASAPI and kernel streaming not working
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

In MC's options for Audio, did you choose the sound card?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:51 am »

Try using DSP Studio > Output Format to set a format that the card will support.  WASAPI exclusive doesn't allow Windows to do format conversion (which is good) so you're required to tell Media Center how to convert the audio data.

24-bit, 48 KHz would be a good start.

You might also need to toggle the WASAPI option for how to present 24-bit data in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... (with WASAPI selected), but only do this if you can't find DSP Studio settings that get playback working.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:31:51 am »

Took the suggested steps, still does not work. The tests on the Windows Mixer level work fine for all sample rates from 32 to 96 kHz.

Also there is no problem with directx or wave output. Which I do not care for because I want bit perfect playback.

Is there a way to do a complete (complete!) uninstall followed by a clean install?

EDIT: I had the buffer set to 3 seconds, plus I did set "play from memory". I reduced that to the minimum setting and am doing fine now. Go figure.

I did increase the buffer due to noisy playback that was cured by increasing its size.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:46:29 am »

I don't think an uninstall / reinstall will help, but you could try it.  It never hurts to download and install the latest build over the top of the current install.  This replaces all the files with the latest.

As for your issue, could you try to get WASAPI not exclusive working first?  Uncheck the WASAPI option 'Open device for exclusive access'.  Then make the output format correct with DSP Studio.

Let us know if you get that going, and we'll go from there.

Thanks.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:09:41 am »

solution found: I had the buffer in output mode set to 3 seconds, plus I did set "play from memory". I reduced the buffer to the minimum setting and am doing fine now. Go figure.

I did increase the buffer in the first place due to noisy playback that was cured by increasing its size.

What might have helped would have been a "reset to default" function or a "recommended" setting (as can be found in other sections of the program, e.g. prebuffering).
Pages: [1]   Go Up