INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Server Home Page -- New Servers in MC15  (Read 3995 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
NEW: Server Home Page -- New Servers in MC15
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

MC15.0.33 added a Server Home Page for access to MC servers that you've started:

Configuration for servers:

More Pictures

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: NEW: New Servers in MC15
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

In the screen above, MC is set to use Library Server on port 52199 (left side) and to also run the DLNA components (check boxes on the right side).

From a client machine, you can connect to your server machine in two different ways:

1.  If you know the address of the server, you can type a command like this in your browser: http://199.242.131.157:52199 .  If successful,  you'll see the first web page in the post above.  From there, you have several choices.  Not everything will work on every device used to connect (you can't stream to an iPhone if you're on a PC, etc.).

2.  Or you can use the new MC feature called "Enable Easy Access".  This registers your server with a JRiver server.  The JRiver Access Server then checks to see if your server is accessible from the Internet.  If not, you will need to configure your router and firewall.  The JRiver server then converts the command needed to a short Access Key which can be used or shared, in order to connect from another PC.

We've made these changes to make it easier to access your servers, both from home and away from home.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Server Home Page -- New Servers in MC15
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:12:19 am »

This looks like some big progress! A few questions immediately come to mind. These are related to our WHS server and a few client machines.

1. If changes are made on the client will they reflect in the server? How far does this go: ie only library DB changes or include deletion and addition of new media?

2. What if more than one client is logged on at the same time - any issues re changes?

3. How will this affect TV recording when the tuner is in the server?

I'm sure many more ? will come to mind later.

Thanks so much for pursuing the server/client part of your software. I'm quite certain that more and more people will get this kind of system to use with all their media.

Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:03:35 am »

Thanks for these features. Especially the testing of the connection function. I now know exactly which questions to ask the tech support guys at my ISP; their router firmware doesn't allow port forwarding it seems.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:06:28 am »

Fabulous!

Question: Once the connection is made from client to server, can a server-side media file that is in the library be copied/downloaded by and to the local client? (Or "just" played?)

For instance, are these actions possible?

Lets someone (who has been granted remote access) grab a photo from the library to add to a (local) album.

Lets the library owner retrieve a "left home without it" music track for local use

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »

Fabulous!

Question: Once the connection is made from client to server, can a server-side media file that is in the library be copied/downloaded by and to the local client? (Or "just" played?)

For instance, are these actions possible?

Lets someone (who has been granted remote access) grab a photo from the library to add to a (local) album.

Lets the library owner retrieve a "left home without it" music track for local use

From my experience, you cannot directly copy a file to the client machine; you can just play it.

HOWEVER, you can indirectly get the file if you use the handheld sync feature and copy the file to your handheld player, or USB stick drive. This works! You then have the file on the client machine.
I started a thread discussing this here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57214.msg388158#msg388158

MusicHawk

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

>> you cannot directly copy a file to the client machine; you can just play it.

Bummer. Well, the expanded client/server - local/remote capability is wonderful, no bummer there.

But what I've long wished for in MC is the ability to select and copy files at the file level -- sort of a reverse Import (Export?).

In a local situation it would be a big help in MC to directly grab and copy (export) one or several media files to a different location (might not be an external location or drive, so the sync workaround is limited..). Just a quick "copy here" action, not a complex Rename, Move & Copy that requires configuration (and thereby blows away the prior configuration).

Of course this can also be done outside of MC by locating the file on the disk.  But sometimes there are several such files, grouped together in MC by name or artist or playlist or whatever, yet located in several places on-disk, so it's quite a chore to round them all up to make physical copies at one location. I do this all the time to move a limited number of files from my huge desktop drive to the small drive on a laptop.

In a remote library situation, enabling the local MC client to do this might be the only solution because the remote drive might not be otherwise accessible.

So, the feature request is for a right-click Copy File... option that acts on all selected files as a batch. It probably opens the Windows file dialog to select a location, and if more than one file is selected it does not allow renaming (so it doesn't stop on each file).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:54:16 am »

>> you cannot directly copy a file to the client machine; you can just play it.

Bummer. Well, the expanded client/server - local/remote capability is wonderful, no bummer there.

But what I've long wished for in MC is the ability to select and copy files at the file level -- sort of a reverse Import (Export?).

In a local situation it would be a big help in MC to directly grab and copy (export) one or several media files to a different location (might not be an external location or drive, so the sync workaround is limited..). Just a quick "copy here" action, not a complex Rename, Move & Copy that requires configuration (and thereby blows away the prior configuration).

Of course this can also be done outside of MC by locating the file on the disk.  But sometimes there are several such files, grouped together in MC by name or artist or playlist or whatever, yet located in several places on-disk, so it's quite a chore to round them all up to make physical copies at one location. I do this all the time to move a limited number of files from my huge desktop drive to the small drive on a laptop.

In a remote library situation, enabling the local MC client to do this might be the only solution because the remote drive might not be otherwise accessible.

So, the feature request is for a right-click Copy File... option that acts on all selected files as a batch. It probably opens the Windows file dialog to select a location, and if more than one file is selected it does not allow renaming (so it doesn't stop on each file).

If you have files selected in MC and the target window open in Explorer, you can simply drag the files over from Standard View. Works better with a multi-monitor setup of course. And IIRC the copying process locks up MC so you can't use it for anything else until the copying is done. Hmmm... perhaps that could be improved by the team?

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:58:43 pm »

Hello,

I am having a hard time trying to set up the tremote. I followed the instructions but once I get to connect to library and enter my access key It ask me for a user name and password. I've never entered any username or password anywhere so I don't know what to write there.

Any ideas?

Also, I've wanted to try "Enable easy access" but don't see It anywhere.

So far not working...

Anyone can help me please?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up