INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug Report - File List view columns - Picture intensive post  (Read 3693 times)

Doberman

• Recent member

I did a check and didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.  I apologize if it's been brought up already.  I've created a separate thread as I'm including a buncha pics and didn't wanna clog up the official .44 thread.

Since at least .35 my File List columns have been screwy.  They will not stay in the order I place them, and they will not save in that order either.

As we will see, this seems to be the default that it keeps returning to.  I've gone through and removed the columns I don't need from the "Audio" preset that the list starts on, and added BPM as well as a custom expression column which shows whether the track is currently in "Playing Now."  (Thanks for that addition, by the way.  :)  )

So, I rearrange the columns into the order that I need them.  (Note that the "Playing Now" list was already reordered this way, and will stay as such.

So everything's as it should be.  Now I'm going to temporarily change the sorting and drop the grouping.

Here we go, sorted by BPM now.  Column are still as they should be.  All is well with the world.   I'm about to push the "Refresh" button over there on the left next to the tab.  In 14, this would gimme back my grouping, keeping my columns as they are, so I'd be back to what's in the 2nd picture above.

But unfortunately, what we get is back to what seems to be a default or something.  My columns are still there, but they're not in the order I left them.  Booo!

OK, let's experiment a little more.  Bottom list back the way I want it.  All is good.

Let's change the column layout of the "Playing Now" list to the default "Audio" preset.  Ooops!  What's that on the bottom now?

No pictures for this last bit, you'll have to trust me.  :)  My options are set to "Last Location" & "Last Exit View" in the Startup options.  If I exit the program with my bottom view laid out the way I want (Pic 2), it is back to the "default" order (Pic 1) upon reload.  Also, if I navigate away from the File List in the bottom pane to any other view chosen from the tree (Playlists, Start, Drives & Devices, etc.) I'm back to the incorrect default Pic 1 when I return.

Additionally, if I save the column view the way I want it (right clicking on a column & choosing "presets" - "save"), it gives me the incorrect ordering when I load the column view that way.

Same problem on two different systems, one of which had a clean wipe of all Media Center versions & a fresh load of 15.0.44 to ensure that there weren't conflicts or something.

As much as I appreciate the addition of the IsInPlayingNow(...) function and the locked views, this problem is actually fairly critical for me and will determine whether I stick with my trusty old 14 or upgrade to 15. 

I REALLY wanna upgrade, so I hope it's something that can be sorted (pardon the sorta pun.)

Doberman

• Recent member
Re: Bug Report - File List view columns - Picture intensive post
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:17 pm »

It also, I just discovered, resets itself when it auto-updates the library.  Just moved a coupla Louis Armstrong tunes into one of the Auto-Import folders and watched as my columns went back to the Pic 1 layout after it found the new songs.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:31:47 pm »

Is anyone else seeing this?  Can anyone else reproduce it?  Am I the only one who uses MC in a File List view, so I'm the only one who cares?  :)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:58 pm »

Is anyone else seeing this?  Can anyone else reproduce it?  Am I the only one who uses MC in a File List view, so I'm the only one who cares?  :)

No. A bit different but the same result....I am working with the stock Artist/Album view - trying to move the "track" column to the leftmost position and for the life of me - I cannot get it to stay there or even find a way to edit the default column layout of what I take is the "File List" view...

I have unlocked this view and poked around everywhere and cannot find a way to make my own column layout out of an existing one. Can;t even find the template or area where this "file List" view is being stored...

Where am I not looking?

Cheers,

VP

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:28 am »

I have the same problem. Save columns one way in a preset, load the preset and the columns return to some other way (some kind of default?). I posted a similar message in the bug section for 46, as I hadn't found these posts.

I agree it's a big deal and pretty annoying to boot, particularly when the columns are critical to what you are doing and they realign out of view--out of the visible window. -Chris

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:02:25 pm »

Has this been fixed?  Has it even been acknowledged by JRiver?

I'm past my trial period for 15, so I can't check the new versions to see.  The version notes make no mention of it.

After using 15 to DJ for a bit (before my trial expired), as much as I love the locked views & IsInPlayingNow(...) I realize that this issue overshadows those additions for me.  I'm gonna hafta stick with 14 unless this is rectified.  :(  I really wanted to upgrade to 15.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:33:01 pm »

I note your view tab includes "Dj Swing." This suggests you're somehow selecting this category, changing the view, then expecting the view to return to this state. The view only retains changes set at the root level. So when you do the refresh after sorting on BPM (or whatever), it the view reapplies the layout set at the root.

I don't know how you're selecting the category, but I get the behaviour I describe by selecting branches or the root in the tree. The layout set at the root always applies to the branches. Any layout changes made in the branches are temporary.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26:01 am »

I note your view tab includes "Dj Swing." This suggests you're somehow selecting this category, changing the view, then expecting the view to return to this state. The view only retains changes set at the root level. So when you do the refresh after sorting on BPM (or whatever), it the view reapplies the layout set at the root.

I don't know how you're selecting the category, but I get the behaviour I describe by selecting branches or the root in the tree. The layout set at the root always applies to the branches. Any layout changes made in the branches are temporary.

I am selecting "DJ Swing" under "Genre" from the tree on the left.  The layout changes made to the branches may NOW be temporary, but they didn't used to be.  That's part of what I"m trying to ascertain here with word from Jim or someone.  Is this the result of a change in the program, or a bug?  If it's the former and I cannot get the layout to stay how I need it, then upgrading to 15 is not going to happen.  If it's a bug that'll eventually get worked out, I"ll go ahead and make the upgrade.

Here's the exact same steps done in 14 and then 15.

Select "DJ Swing" from "Genre" in the left tree.  Arrange the columns in the lower right pane how I want them.

Sort by BPM, temporarily removing grouping.

Press F5 or the "Refresh" button just to the left of the tab.  Back to how it was.  MC is set to start back up where it was closed at, so this is how it looks when I start the program each time.  Columns EXACTLY as I left them.

Here's the same sequence in 15.

"DJ Swing" selected from the "Genre" section in the tree.  The right side is now showing "File List" instead of "Panes" as it did in 14.  Is this the cause?  Is this some DIFFERENT sort of display listing that what it was by defualt in 14?  Regardless, columns set up how I wish them to be.

Sorted by BPM

And now after the "Refresh" button is pressed in 15.  Back to the default layout.  (Ignore the number of artists and such in the tree, I had some auto-updating going on as I was fiddling with folders on the new netbook as I was doing this.)

Now, I can select "Genre" from the tree on the left and get this below.  I can make the columns here how I want.  But when I then choose "DJ Swing" I cannot "Customize View" from the tab and tell it to use the parent's layout.  "Customize View" is greyed out for any of the lower branches on the tree after the top.  So this layout is NOT reflected in the child views.  (No further pics, but this was already set like this before I started the sequence above.)

So, again, I'll ask:  Is this a bug?  Is this the way the program works now?  (If it's the latter, is there a particular reason why it was changed?  Does it make something ELSE new & wonderous capable?)  And lastly, if the functionality has been changed, is there a way to get it back?  Can I create a custom view or some such that'll always keep the columns how I want them?

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:46:40 am »

So, again, I'll ask:

I was perfectly clear the first time: "The view only retains changes set at the root level. So when you do the refresh after sorting on BPM (or whatever), it the view reapplies the layout set at the root."

Is this the way the program works now?

Yes. It's not a bug. There have been a number of significant changes to how view schemes work. Ironically, the most significant ones were demanded by many who were unhappy with changes made in version 14 (or maybe it was 13) and wanted things back the way they were. I'm afraid you're out-of-sync with popular demand. ;)

But I don't understand what you're complaining about. The current design requires changes to the layout to be done at the root of the view. That means you can make whatever temporary changes you want anywhere else—without having to bother setting them back. If you want to make permanent changes, simply make them in the root. If you want to save a modified version of a view, make a copy of that view and make the modifications to the copy.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

I was perfectly clear the first time: "The view only retains changes set at the root level. So when you do the refresh after sorting on BPM (or whatever), it the view reapplies the layout set at the root."

Yes. It's not a bug. There have been a number of significant changes to how view schemes work. Ironically, the most significant ones were demanded by many who were unhappy with changes made in version 14 (or maybe it was 13) and wanted things back the way they were. I'm afraid you're out-of-sync with popular demand. ;)

But I don't understand what you're complaining about. The current design requires changes to the layout to be done at the root of the view. That means you can make whatever temporary changes you want anywhere else—without having to bother setting them back. If you want to make permanent changes, simply make them in the root. If you want to save a modified version of a view, make a copy of that view and make the modifications to the copy.

Am I not perfectly clear in stating that changes made to the root of the view do NOT carry over to the children?

Or am I not clear on what you're meaning?

As I stated above, if I make changes to the column layout in the "Genre" view, it is NOT reflected when I actually choose a specific genre.  As evidenced in the pictures above.  I show in the 4th pic of version 15 that I HAVE changed the "Genre" root view to the layout that I desire.  Yet when I choose "DJ Swing" as the specific genre to display, it reverts to some other layout. 

And really?  There are people who DON'T want their layouts to stay the way that they set them?   

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »

Am I not perfectly clear in stating that changes made to the root of the view do NOT carry over to the children?

Sorry if I misunderstood. Too many screen shots, I suppose. But this is not the behaviour I'm observing.

And really? There are people who DON'T want their layouts to stay the way that they set them?

Sure. It's very convenient to be able to temporarily rearrange things for some specific purpose, and not have to worry about putting it back the way it was.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »

Sorry if I misunderstood. Too many screen shots, I suppose. But this is not the behaviour I'm observing.

You can change the file list layout for the "Genre" main tree selection and every actual genre choice you make will reflect this change in the resulting file listing?  Doing exactly what I show above?

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »

Layout changes in the root are remembered for Pane and File List view schemes, but not for Category schemes. I don't use those, but I suppose that's in keeping with the design purpose of allowing the layout to be configured differently for each level. If you don't want that, you should be using a Pane or File List view.

gappie

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 05:02:03 am »

there is a trhread where the same problem was discussed in dutch
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58006.0
i had a hard time reproducing it. but actually its simple, and it seems like a bug to me. it only happens on a view when enabling tree browsing. when you make a new smartlist, and set the columns as you want, (leave the smartlist and come back!) and then save the new columns as a new preset. go to the view where you have a problem, and use the new preset instead of moving around the collumns again, the changes that are set by the preset do stick.

:)
gab

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:22 pm »

Layout changes in the root are remembered for Pane and File List view schemes, but not for Category schemes. I don't use those, but I suppose that's in keeping with the design purpose of allowing the layout to be configured differently for each level. If you don't want that, you should be using a Pane or File List view.

So I assume that you CAN NOT do what I asked in my last post, which it seems that you've been claiming was possible?

As I understand it, I AM in a Flie List view.  Says so right there in the tab.  'Course in 14 the exact same steps resulted in a tab that said "Pane" and not "File List" as in 15.  But regardless, looks like a "File List" view to me.

As for making it convenient to make changes without worrying about it going back, it seems to me to be much more INCONVENIENT to make changes that don't stick.  And on top of that, it DOESN'T go back to some built in defualt.  It goes back to the columns that I've added or removed, just not in the order I left them in.   It's all spelled out quite clearly in the posts & pictures above.

Rick, I apreciate that you try to help people as much as possible here in the forums, but I'm getting the feeling that you're not actually going through the steps I'm outlining in order to actually see the results.  I'd ask that you please do so.

Until Jim or Matt or someone deigns to tell me otherwise (and hopefully explain WHY views that remembered my settings fine in 14 no longer do in 15) I'm gonna continue taking this as a bug.

Gappie, I'm not entirely certain that we're talking about the same thing here because what you seem to have suggested as a fix does not work for me.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »

I agree with Doberman. It is some sort of bug or a truly weird idea of a feature. What would be the purpose of remembering the just saved preset in terms of it's columns, but not their order. If the new preset was either ignored or completely nullified after certain operations then what rick.ca said could conceivably make sense, but partial changes or enforcement eludes my kind of logic. -Chris

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:22 am »

Rick, I apreciate that you try to help people as much as possible here in the forums, but I'm getting the feeling that you're not actually going through the steps I'm outlining in order to actually see the results.  I'd ask that you please do so.

Why? Don't you already know what you saw? Isn't it more useful for me to do my own tests, report my own findings, and offer my own interpretation? Well, in this case, clearly not... ::)

gappie

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:55 am »

Gappie, I'm not entirely certain that we're talking about the same thing here because what you seem to have suggested as a fix does not work for me.
im fairly sure we are talking about the same thing. there is also a bug with making presets (you first have to leave a view or smartlist before making it). you could try it with the image preset, and do it not on the root, but on one of the genres or something like that. and its only about the not adding or changing the column layout. it is not entirely mend as a fix. more as showing that it is a bug and where in the proces, its possible to change the columns, but only via a preset.

:)
gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:16:18 am »

So, again, I'll ask:  Is this a bug?

I think so.

We don't want to allow the 'Customize View...' dialog when drilled into a view (i.e. looking at only 'Dj Swing' genre) because it's confusing to make view-level changes when zoomed into a small part of the view.

However, this disabling of 'Customize View...' is also disabling any column changes from being saved for levels inside the view.  This is a bug and will be changed in build 56.

It's not clear to me, due to the length of this thread, if this is the only issue.  Please try the build once it's available and let us know if there's more work to be done.

Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »

However, this disabling of 'Customize View...' is also disabling any column changes from being saved for levels inside the view.  This is a bug and will be changed in build 56.

What's odd is that the column changes are saved in the new preset, it's the order that isn't. So it may not simply be due to the disabled "Customize View..."

I'm pretty sure this was the only bug discussed in this thread. I'll be glad to see it exterminated as it's making things quite cumbersome for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up