INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Audio Hardware Inventory  (Read 8053 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
MC Audio Hardware Inventory
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »

Seeing as audio playback is one of the core functions of MC, and recent advances have caused in influx of new users and new functions, I propose this thread as a repository of the hardware you use, or are familiar with, so as to engender the sharing of correspondence, co-operative troubleshooting, and subjective or objective experiences, between members.

MC Version
Operating System (32/64bit)
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version
DAC (if any)
File Storage/File types
Preferred mode of operation
Tested modes of operation
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings)
Previously used hardware

Am I forgetting anything?

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
Re: MC Audio Hardware Inventory
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:18 pm »

I,m new to "computer" listening and never tought I be one of the bunch putting my near 2 000 CD's on a HDD. But in the later years  the option listening from low resulotion MP3 files has been much greater. When I first heard of a "Audiophile DAC" the Musicstreamer II+ I decided to give it a try. So I ended up with MC 15
and the latest build. New to this there have been some trying around but now I have everything working fine.
The only thing is that I wish MC was for music only as I don't need all the TV YouTube stuff.

Here is my setup:

Ampflier: Harman Kardon
Computer: Asus Eeebox
External USB HDD: Lacie 1 TB
ExternalUSB HDD: Western 1,5 TB for backup
DAC: Musicstreamer II+
MC 15 latest build, running with Wasapi, exclusive access 24/96000

Both HDDs have the portable install of MC 15
I had some trouble with the sound, as it was staggering there was some noise almost as the sound between two radiostations, but it was solved with an self powered USB hub, and to change the HDD to another USB ort on the computer.
Righ now everything is running very okey and with this setup I have at least the same sound  as from my CD player, might also say I ripp my files to wav.

Blue Boy

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:56:45 pm »

Welcome aboard!

Glad you are getting great sound with a method you once overlooked.

You can go to Options>General>Features and disable some things if you like, like Video Support.

Media Jukebox is free but i don't think you get Library Server or many other features that I personally find very useful.

I,m new to "computer" listening and never tought I be one of the bunch putting my near 2 000 CD's on a HDD. But in the later years  the option listening from low resulotion MP3 files has been much greater. When I first heard of a "Audiophile DAC" the Musicstreamer II+ I decided to give it a try. So I ended up with MC 15
and the latest build. New to this there have been some trying around but now I have everything working fine.
The only thing is that I wish MC was for music only as I don't need all the TV YouTube stuff.

Here is my setup:

Ampflier: Harman Kardon
Computer: Asus Eeebox
External USB HDD: Lacie 1 TB
ExternalUSB HDD: Western 1,5 TB for backup
DAC: Musicstreamer II+
MC 15 latest build, running with Wasapi, exclusive access 24/96000

Both HDDs have the portable install of MC 15
I had some trouble with the sound, as it was staggering there was some noise almost as the sound between two radiostations, but it was solved with an self powered USB hub, and to change the HDD to another USB ort on the computer.
Righ now everything is running very okey and with this setup I have at least the same sound  as from my CD player, might also say I ripp my files to wav.

Blue Boy

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:28:36 pm »

My current system

MC Version - latest version
Operating System (32/64bit) -  Windows 7 x64
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version - M-Audio Profire 610 with latest version driver
DAC (if any)- Naim DAC
File Storage/File types - Lossless
Preferred mode of operation - JRiver with WASAPI as bit-perfect
Tested modes of operation - Foobar 1.03 with WASAPI
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings)- Default with JRiver MC
Previously used hardware
- Musiland 01USD with 1.8.6 beta driver
- HiFace with 1.3.140 driver
- RAL-2496UT1 - Japanese TAS1020B chipset with own firmware for Async. mode.  Very much same as Ayre USB technology.
- For DAC...  too many to mention.  ;)

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:22:40 pm »

I have been experimenting with "audiophile" systems for the last 3 years trying to build a reasonably priced, high fidelity stereo system. I have tried numerous speaker and amplifier combinations and demo'ed a bunch of ridiculously expensive setups. I am pretty convinced that async USB when properly clocked is a great sounding interface.

So after many trials and tribulations, I am really happy with my current system and have ripped all my CD's and currently am downloading HiRes files from various sources on the internet. I just love having everything on computer and searching for music remotely without touching a disc or physically having to load a CD player. JRiver has been a great application since I got everything set up correctly.

Here is the current setup, which sounds great by the way IMHO:

MC Version                                        Latest version of MC15.
Operating System (32/64bit)                 Windows 7x64
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version    USB - EMU 0404 external with Transparent Audio USB Cable
DAC (if any)
File Storage/File types                         FLAC
Preferred mode of operation                 JRiver with Creative ASIO driver
Tested modes of operation                   ASIO/WASAPI with Ayre QB9
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings) -   
Previously used hardware -

Speakers                                          Green Mountain Callisto
AMP                                                 Ayre AX7e
Subwoofer                                        DIY with Seas driver and O-audio amp

I find the inexpensive EMU using balanced outputs to compare favorably to DACS costing much much more. The Ayre favors balanced input so it seems very compatible with it. I am going to be trying some other DACS soon as well as listening to the Ayre again.

Thanks JRiver!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »

MC Version                                        MC15.134 (.58 causes playback glitches)
Operating System (32/64bit)                 Windows 7x64, 4GB RAM, ZOTAC ION
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version    Lynx AES16-E
File Storage/File types                         FLAC, APE, some MP3
Preferred mode of operation                 WASAPI (ASIO when monitoring digital RIAA)
Tested modes of operation                   ASIO/WASAPI                   

Previously used hardware: M-Audio 24/96, M-Audio delta, EMU 0202, EMU 1212M, EMU 1616M, HiFace, Musiland.

Notes: (buffer settings, playback options, & DSP settings)  - All DSP off for primary DAC, Replay Gain for secondary; upsampling some times.

Speakers                                          Omega 3i
AMP                                                 Decware Mini-Torii
Subwoofer                                        Omega Deep Hemp
DACs                                                Antelope Zodiac + // Matrix mini-I // Maverick D1 // EMU 0202

gappie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 04:45:05 pm »

good idea.

my setup is more a home studio then audiophile.

latest 15 and 14 on a xp machine.
two soundcards connected: main card a rme fireface 800 (firewire), other card edirol UA-700 (usb).
using analogue outputs from the cards only. just 4 from the fireface for mc output.
most files APE, but also wav, mp3, wma. (and mkv, dvd files)
using asio most of the time, for both cards the native drivers (use asio4all only when you must). used some direct sound and kernelstreaming also.

when someone has problems getting one of the two cards working under mc feel free to contact me. they have been working great with mc since i started to use it, so since 11.

:)
gab

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »

MC Version:  Tomorrow's Beta Release
Operating System (32/64bit):  Windows 7 64 bit
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version:  Asus Essence ST with H6 daughtercard
DAC:  See above
File Storage/File types:  APE and FLAC
Preferred mode of operation:  ASIO
Tested modes of operation:  ASIO, WASAPI
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings):
     Output mode settings - Use large hardware buffers is unchecked
     Output mode settings - Buffering is set to Most Responsive
     Output Format DSP - 7.1 with no mixing for audio and JRSS for movies
     Voxengo Plugins - BMS for bass management, Sound Delay for distance & level settings, GlissEQ for parametric EQ
Previously used hardware:  M-Audio Revolution 7.1, Creative X-Fi Elite Pro, tested an Echo Audiofire 8

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:09:38 am »

MC Version:  Tomorrow's Beta Release
Operating System (32/64bit):  Windows 7 64 bit
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version:  Echo Audio Audiofire 8 with analog output
DAC:  I'm using the Audiofire 8 as an 8 channel external DAC
File Storage/File types:  APE and FLAC
Preferred mode of operation:  ASIO
Tested modes of operation:  ASIO, WASAPI
     Output mode settings - Use large hardware buffers is unchecked
     Output mode settings - Buffering is set to Most Responsive
     Output Format DSP - 7.1 with no mixing for audio and JRSS for movies
     Voxengo Plugins - BMS for bass management, Sound Delay for distance & level settings, GlissEQ for parametric EQ
Previously used hardware:  M-Audio Revolution 7.1, Creative X-Fi Elite Pro, Asus Essense ST with H6 daughtercard

Hi Mojave,

I see that you have replaced your Asus Essence ST with the Echo AudioFire 8. Per your recent suggestion my long term plans call for getting an AudioFire 12 to help enable Active Crossovers. I'm curious what kind of differences you found when you made the change, especially re SQ. And are you totally pleased with it? Any problems?

Thanks,
Rod

ths61

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »

MC15/16 has a lot of nice new features since the last time I used it.  

UPDATE:  I have 4 MC systems setup now.  1 in each of 2 offices, 1 in the TV room and one in the 2-channel music room.

Objectives: Best sound quality; easy of use; quickly access large libraries; HiRez Audio; WAF
MC Version: 18
Operating System (32/64bit):  Win7 Ultimate 64-bit; Core i7 2600S SandyBridge and 3770S IvyBridge, 16GB Ram, SSDs
Storage: 480 GB SSDs.
Network:: Gigabit / CAT6 hardwired
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version: DIRECTV HR20 Pace STB (DLNA Ethernet in, HDMI out)
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version: Asus Xonar Essence STX
DAC: Anthem Statement D2V Pre/Pro (HDMI and SPDIF inputs, XLR balanced outs)
DAC: Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 (Sabre 32-bit chip - up to 24bit/192KHz, USB2 and SPDIF)
DAC: DEQX HDP 3.0 (SPDIF)
File Storage/File types: Lossless FLAC and WAV [16/44 to 24/192]
Preferred mode of operation: WASAPI Event Style
Tested modes of operation: Trying to find best lossless means for HiRez Audio
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings): Added HDCD DSP for HDCD 24-bit conversions, WASAPI Event Style
Previously used hardware: Various Creative Sound Blasters, EMU 0404 USB and M-Audio USB
Amps: 4 channels of Wyred 4 Sound ASP1000 based amps, Mark Levinson, Jeffrey Rowland
Active Crossover: Bryston 10B Sub, DEQX HDP 3.0
Speakers: Biamped Magenpan 20.1's, Biamped 3.6's and Mini-Maggies.

Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:51:50 am »

Hi Mojave,

I see that you have replaced your Asus Essence ST with the Echo AudioFire 8. Per your recent suggestion my long term plans call for getting an AudioFire 12 to help enable Active Crossovers. I'm curious what kind of differences you found when you made the change, especially re SQ. And are you totally pleased with it? Any problems?

Thanks,
Rod
I ended up returning the AudioFire 8 and went back to the Essence ST. The Audiofire 8 had a harshness that I didn't like. It also didn't allow for volume control of more than the first 2 channels when using the Windows volume control. This made it a no go for games.

)p(

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 03:50:41 am »

When I use mc for audio

MC: latest beta
Files: Flac
DSP: Roomcorrection with the Voxengo PrestinceSpace vst plugin
output: virtual audio cable > squeezebox wavinput plugin > squeezebox digital out
amp: Tact m2150 digital amplifier
speakers: KEF XQ5

But lately I have mostly gone back to using squeezeserver directly controlled by ipeng on an ipod touch. One of the reasons was the excellent Spotify plugin which I use a lot now.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:29 am »

Storage: Thecus N5200B NAS with 3 x 1 TB hard discs. This is stored in a hall cupboard and is connected via CAT6 ethernet cable to;
System: Sony Vaio laptop - intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.1 GHz, 4GB RAM; OS = Windows 7 32bit
Software: JRiver Media Center 15 with ASIO output plugin / ASIO4ALL v2
Interconnect: GoldX firewire cable, to
DAC: Weiss DAC2
Interconnect: Nordost Red Dawn XLR, to
Amp: Classe CAP-2100
Atlas biwire speaker cable, to
B&W 804s floorstanders

HiFiTubes

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »

I have been experimenting with "audiophile" systems for the last 3 years trying to build a reasonably priced, high fidelity stereo system. I have tried numerous speaker and amplifier combinations and demo'ed a bunch of ridiculously expensive setups. I am pretty convinced that async USB when properly clocked is a great sounding interface.

So after many trials and tribulations, I am really happy with my current system and have ripped all my CD's and currently am downloading HiRes files from various sources on the internet. I just love having everything on computer and searching for music remotely without touching a disc or physically having to load a CD player. JRiver has been a great application since I got everything set up correctly.

Here is the current setup, which sounds great by the way IMHO:

MC Version                                        Latest version of MC15.
Operating System (32/64bit)                 Windows 7x64
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version    USB - EMU 0404 external with Transparent Audio USB Cable
DAC (if any)
File Storage/File types                         FLAC
Preferred mode of operation                 JRiver with Creative ASIO driver
Tested modes of operation                   ASIO/WASAPI with Ayre QB9
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings) -   
Previously used hardware -

Speakers                                          Green Mountain Callisto
AMP                                                 Ayre AX7e
Subwoofer                                        DIY with Seas driver and O-audio amp

I find the inexpensive EMU using balanced outputs to compare favorably to DACS costing much much more. The Ayre favors balanced input so it seems very compatible with it. I am going to be trying some other DACS soon as well as listening to the Ayre again.

Thanks JRiver!

I assume you have no problem with WASAPI and your 0404; it's quite a bit different from my 0202 USB which won't allow me to stop playback w/o crashing MC.

sillibil

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:57 pm »

MC    : 15.0.142
OS    : WIN 7 64x
Connextion  : Dig Audio Coax
DAC         : Caiman Beresford 7520SE
Files   : Flac / MP3 320
DSP   : Wasapi-Event Style
                    Exclusiv  24/96000
Speakers   : Adam 5 Aktiv / Headphones

SteveR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 06:48:28 pm »

MC Version  15 (latest version)
Operating System (32/64bit) W7 x64
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version Raeltek high def (standard in a Sony Viao F12xxx laptop with built in s/pdif out)
DAC (if any) Cambridge Audio DACmagic
File Storage/File types Hard drive, FLAC, wma lossless, some MP3
Preferred mode of operation WASAPI Event Stye
Tested modes of operation WASAPI, WASAPI Event, ASIO, Direct
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings) buffer 250ms, Exclusive WASAPI Event style, Bit depth 24, Volume levelling track based +6db, slight lift +0.5dB at 6KHz, +1.0dB at 12K and 16K to add some sparkle to a pair of Spendors in the midband presence and treble.
Previously used hardware None

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

I'm relatively new to this stuff also. I like the idea of having all my music accessible on my computer for the easier access and also to be able to play hi-res files. I'm in the process of improving my kit.

Present system:

MC Version                                              15.0.172
Operating System (32/64bit)                    Win7 (32 bits integral)
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version     Dell laptop
DAC (if any)                                              HRT Streamer+ (synchronous USB DAC)
File Storage/File types                               m4a, wma and FLAC
Preferred mode of operation                      WASAPI or Direct Sound
Tested modes of operation                       
Notes (buffer settings, playback options, DSP settings) - Open exclusive access, flush buffers, buffering close to minimal, 48 khz-16bits, resample only if out of range, clip protection

Preamp     ADCOM GFP-750 in passive mode
AMP          Musical Fidelity A3cr
Speakers  WLM LaScala monitors

Upcoming upgrades

Wyred4Sound DAC-2 (with USB input)
Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp
Room acoustics

Had some problems when switching to m4a file from another type. Problem resolved by specifying to use Quicktime instead of DirectShow for playing back m4a files.

globetrotters1

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:12 am »

This is our actual system

MC Version:  15.0.172
Operating System (32/64bit):  Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit on SSD, on quad-CPU motherboard
Transport/Sound Card & Driver Version:  ASUS Xonar Essence ST with H6 daughter card, 7.1 theater processor output
DAC:
File Storage/File types:  10.5TB RAID-6 (7.5TB usable) with 340'000 FLAC music files, still growing (60% classical music), 12TB movies
Preferred mode of operation:  ASIO
Tested modes of operation: ASIO, but would like to try out more
Previously used hardware:  Creative Audigy ZS2 on older motherboard with dual CPU

Very stable setup and very nice sound! Very happy with it!  :)

Tech improvements for the near future in planning stage:
- new motherboard with 6-core CPU setup and 6-12 GB memory
- 64-bit OS (would like to go to 64-bit, but need a working TV tuner setup for 64-bit, analog & digital)

Talos

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 01:54:48 pm »

Completely new to computer audio, so this is my first ever system.  I tried out at least a dozen different music servers before settling on J River.  My original thoughts were to focus on the Music Servers' database management capabilities, but eventually I learned that there are much bigger differences when it comes to playback.  As I need "bit-perfect" playback, I settled - very happily - on J River MC16 beta.

MC 16 beta
Windows 7-Ultimate 64-bit
MacBook Pro 17" 2010
Classé CP800 digital preamp
Classé CA-2300 power amp
B&W 802D speakers, Piano Black ;D!
FLAC, mostly red book rips.  Some 24/88.2 and 24/96.  The Classé doesn't (yet) support streaming at 196kHz or 176.4kHz although it internally upconverts to those bit rates prior to conversion.
WASAPI - event style.  The CP800 won't play unless I present all 16-bit data in 24-bit format.  (Don't yet know why).  All other settings are vanilla J River.
Source streamed over WiFi using D-Link DIR-655.  Play from memory OFF (it is buggy).  No problems with streaming over WiFi.
Synology DS411j NAS in 'Hybrid RAID' mode.  4x Western Digital RE4 500GB "Enterprise Class" HDs.

Other stuff....
CD Ripping done on a different PC with a much faster CD-ROM.  Ripping using EAC.  Tagging using MusicBee (I wish J River was as good as this).
Nordost Blue Heaven USB 2.0 cable (Oh boy!...  Wow...)
Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables
Still looking for a better XLR interconnect...

Pages: [1]   Go Up