INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-ch rerouting and XO  (Read 3203 times)

Bibo

• Recent member
Multi-ch rerouting and XO
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:11:25 am »

I have been using v14 for 2ch with Allocator XO plugin.
For LP and HP filters I would set 4ch output format in DSP Studio.

MC v15 has a new audio render that allows ASIO to be used for DVD playback.
I have a 4ch set-up, so I would like to retain the above filters for Front-L/R and have a HP filter for my Surr-L/R. All together I would have a 6ch output.

My questions are:
1) Can I set a DVD/BR to playback at 4ch?
2) I can have 2 instances of Allocator XO plugin - one for Front-L/R, the other for Surr-L/R - but how can I set which audio channel  to send to each plugin?
3) How can I set 6ch output format in DSP Studio?

I thank you in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multi-ch rerouting and XO
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:30:50 am »

1) Can I set a DVD/BR to playback at 4ch?

Yes.

Options > Video > Audio > Playback device > Same as device used in audio playback

DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels > 4 channels

2) I can have 2 instances of Allocator XO plugin - one for Front-L/R, the other for Surr-L/R - but how can I set which audio channel  to send to each plugin?

No.  The plugin would need to be smart enough to support 4.0 or 5.1.

3) How can I set 6ch output format in DSP Studio?

DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels > 5.1 channels
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bibo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:27 am »

I am not sure I made my self understood (sorry for my English).

When I say DVD/BR playback at 4ch that is probably a downmix 5.1ch->4ch.
However, in the Output Format I need 6ch.
Is it possible?

My Allocator XO plugin can do 2ch->8ch that is why I need two instances.
So the 1st instance would receive ch1+ch2 for Front-L/R, split them and send to ch1-4 output.
The 2nd instance would receive ch3+ch4 for Surr-L/R, apply HP filter and send to ch5-6 output.

If DSP Studio does not allow it, would it change in the future?
In DSP Studio is it possible to load Console VST host? I know I can do it within Console.

Thanks for your patience.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:51:58 am »

I am not sure I made my self understood (sorry for my English).

When I say DVD/BR playback at 4ch that is probably a downmix 5.1ch->4ch.
However, in the Output Format I need 6ch.
Is it possible?

I don't think you can get exactly what you are looking for.  You can tell Media Center to output any number of channels and perform no mixing.  Then you can do mixing with external (VST, etc.) DSP plugins.

We could update DSP Studio to better support speakers that require multiple channels, but I'm not quite sure what the user interface would look like to do this cleanly.  This is why we've focused on the most typical configurations: 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 5.1, and 7.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:45 am »

Because Allocator XO only supports 4 channels, you can't pass the six channels through. If it supported more channels and just passed through the additional channels, then it would work. For MC to work around this issue it would need to support VST plugins on a per channel basis by allowing channels to be combined into groups. I use the Voxengo VST plugins and they allow assigning channels to groups. You can then apply the plugin's features to each group.

If MC supported Groups, here is how it would work. You would set your output in MC to 4 channels. You would label channels 1 and 2 as Group A. Group A could then use the Allocator XO and be separated into 4 channels for a two way crossover. This would then use outputs 1-4. Group B could be routed to outputs 5 & 6.

Bibo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:19:10 pm »

Yes, Allocator XO plugin supports only 2ch IN -> 8ch OUT.
That is why I use two instances of it.

What you describe I normally achieve it with Console (http://console.jp/en/about/about_1.html) which among other things is able to assist you with complex routing tasks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:48:32 pm »

If you are using Console you might still be able to do what you want. You first need to specify the four channel output before it gets to the MC DSP. This is done by either using AC3Filter or ffdshow. I have a 4 channel setup at my office and have used either for 4 channel output. You can specify these filters for audio too and they will insert themselves into the audio chain. Next you need to specify 5.1 channels with "No mixing (unused channels silent) in MC's Audio Output DSP." This will allow the 4 channels of audio plus 2 silent channels to be passed on MC's DSP. You should now be able to route these 6 channels to Console and use them how you want. Channel 1 and 2 would go to the first instance of Allocator and channels 3 and 4 would go to the second instance of Allocator. For the output, you could route the first Allocator's 4 channels to outputs 1-4 and the second Allocator's channels to 5-6.

I just realized that since you are using Console you are probably using XP. Unless something has changed I couldn't ever get it to work with Vista. I'm not sure if what I wrote applies to XP.

Bibo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:22:26 am »

If you are using Console you might still be able to do what you want. You first need to specify the four channel output before it gets to the MC DSP. This is done by either using AC3Filter or ffdshow. I have a 4 channel setup at my office and have used either for 4 channel output. You can specify these filters for audio too and they will insert themselves into the audio chain. Next you need to specify 5.1 channels with "No mixing (unused channels silent) in MC's Audio Output DSP." This will allow the 4 channels of audio plus 2 silent channels to be passed on MC's DSP. You should now be able to route these 6 channels to Console and use them how you want. Channel 1 and 2 would go to the first instance of Allocator and channels 3 and 4 would go to the second instance of Allocator. For the output, you could route the first Allocator's 4 channels to outputs 1-4 and the second Allocator's channels to 5-6.

With ffdshow (the one I tried) it's possible to map F-L/R, C, LFE, S-L/R...

However, the problem is MC does not support Console. It has a strange behaviour with it. Although Console is not even in the DSP list, sometimes when I am about to instal a plug-in DSP Studio tries to load it by itself.
DSP Studio can only install Console VST plug-in as a 2ch-IN and 2ch-OUT, so I cannot really insert any XO plug-in. Whereas I should be able to see the number of channels I set in the Output module - i.e. 5.1ch - that is 6chIN-6chOUT.

Is it possible for MC to support Console (30 days trial at http://www.console.jp/en/download.html)?
Thanks

Bibo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »

In MC's Audio Output I set 5.1.
Allocator XO vst plug-in is 2ch-to-8ch.
Unfortunately, DSP sends all 6ch to Allocator, even if it process only 2 of them. I was hoping that the 4 remaining channels would go through, but they don't. The sound card receives only 2 ch.
DSP needs a way to route channels to different plug-ins.

Console would be perfect! :)

Please, would it be possible for MC to support Console?  :-[ :-[
It is a pretty standard software for this job due its ability to link inputs and outputs between plug-ins. It would mean to increase MC's DSP ability/capacity a lot!  8)  :-*
Thanks

Bibo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:45:25 pm »

I am really sorry if I repeat myself. I would like to have a reply from the developers abot this issue.

Please, would it be possible for MC to support Console plugin?   

It is a pretty standard software for its ability to link inputs and outputs between plug-ins.
I think it needs to communicate with MC's Audio I/O.
It would extend MC's DSP capability!   

Thanks for your patience

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:05 am »

HI

I have console working as a vst plugin with MC15.

I believe your problem that colsole only sees 2 channels can be fixed by running the console app 'console setup' in the start menu. This sets the channel config for the plug-in mode of console.

My problem is that the plug-in mode of console ignores the default.csp file. So every time MC loads I have to manually open DSP manager and tell console to load default.csp.  

Is there a way to automate this action with a script within MC?

Or simply get the DSP studio to load the plugin with a saved file using the 'Program: Unnamed slot' drop down?

Alternatively, is there any chance that the MC developers will provide VST host functionality within MC? It is almost there, all we need is the ability to manually wire the channels (as in console) and run multiple instances of VST plugins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up