INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is it possible to play an artist's full work when a genre is shuffling?  (Read 5740 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

curious if its possible, to chose a genre, say rock and it plays songs and when you hear a song you really like to be able to right click it and choose load all songs by this artist? and it would grab all that Artists music and start playing it by album,track number basically disrupting the shuffle.

thanks

gappie

i dont think so. i do something like that for albums though. when radio is playing a song that i like and i want to hear the whole album, i just push the right button on my remote. that it works for album and not for artists, as far as i know, is that the expression language has an 'expand to whole album'.

:)
gab

HTPC4ME

and by doing so it will stop the shuffle,Radio?

maybe i should try radio instead of shuffle then from now on.. because alot of times i'll shuffle then really like a song then have to goto audio and search for that artist or album then right click and chose add to playing now next.

gappie

and by doing so it will stop the shuffle,Radio?

maybe i should try radio instead of shuffle then from now on.. because alot of times i'll shuffle then really like a song then have to goto audio and search for that artist or album then right click and chose add to playing now next.
yes, it would stop radio. and in my case it would stop the current track to and starts playback of the album.
the basis could be a smartlist with this rule:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [=isplaying()]=1 ~a
 :)
gab

HTPC4ME

sweet! will give it a try..thanks :)

rick.ca

This is what I do, using a set of views for the purpose—as described here. My "Playing" view has three nested views:

1. Album: ([IsPlayingNow]=[1] or [Media Type]=[Audio]) ~sort=[IsPlayingNow]-d ~limit=1,-1,[Album] ~sort=[Track #]

2. Artist: ([IsPlayingNow]=[1] or [Media Type]=[Audio]) ~sort=[IsPlayingNow]-d ~limit=1,-1,[Artist] ~sort=[Date (year)],[Album],[Track #]

3. Similar: ([IsPlayingNow]=[1] or [Media Type]=[Audio]) [Rating]=>=4 ~sort=[IsPlayingNow]-d ~limit=1,-1,[Style] ~limit=1,-1,[Year] ~n=20 ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Track #]

Regardless of what's playing or why (i.e., current "radio" play or not), I can switch to this view and see the entire album, or all the tracks of the artist. From there, I can choose to let radio play continue, play the album (using Play All), all the artist's albums, or select a "similar" track from the same or a different artist. Or select any track and play "as radio." It makes for a fun way to bounce around—not being tied to either a random or album mode of listening.

pcstockton

Re: is it possible to play an artist's full work when a genre is shuffling?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:24 pm »

Rick,

That is perfect.  I love MC. 

I will follow your link as I assume it tells me how to add views in "Playing Now"?

Thanks,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:33 pm »

Rick,

Ive been trying to use those pieces of code in about 100 different ways, and Im not sure what to do with them.

Exactly how do I create views with these?  Ive tried expression views but it doesnt seem to work.

Can you elaborate for a dumb-ass?

Thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »

curious if its possible, to chose a genre, say rock and it plays songs and when you hear a song you really like to be able to right click it and choose load all songs by this artist? and it would grab all that Artists music and start playing it by album,track number basically disrupting the shuffle.

You can do this without any fancy views simply using the Artist or Album quicksearch buttons and Select-All, Right-Click -> Play -> Add as Next to Play.  I explained this once before on Interact with screenshots and everything.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

Exactly how do I create views with these?

In a new view (the "File List" type is most appropriate), use the expression as the Rules for file display in the view configuration. Just select Import and paste it into the box.

Note the above expression for Album requires a unique album name—not such a good idea. The following will restrict it to the album of the currently playing artist:

([IsPlayingNow]=[1] or [Media Type]=[Audio]) ~sort=[IsPlayingNow]-d ~limit=1,-1,[Artist] ~limit=1,-1,[Album] ~sort=[Track #]

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:00 pm »

Thanks Rick.

I was pretty close.  Maybe some of my problem was the text in the Album expression.  I didn't yet try the artist or similar.

I will give this a shot right away.

-p

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:04:54 pm »

i am getting the same result.

No matter what is playing, I see the same ray charles album all the time in this "playing" album list.

any thoughts?

flac.rules

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »

I am also a complete newbie with views. I get the same problem as patrick, I only get one album in the view no matter what i play.

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »

I only get one album in the view no matter what i play.

It may not be clear from the above [IsPlayingNow] is a custom expression field using the expression IsPlaying() (i.e., add the field [IsPlayingNow] at Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields, set "Calculated Data" and enter the expression IsPlaying()). Does that help?

For those who may wonder, the rule doesn't need to use an expression field—[=IsPlaying()]=1 will work just as well as [IsPlayingNow]=[1]. But an expression apparently cannot be used as a sort parameter, which is essential to this smartlist (i.e., ~sort=[IsPlayingNow]-d).

Pages: [1]   Go Up