INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD Audio Playback  (Read 6486 times)

Douglas MacKenzie

• Recent member
HD Audio Playback
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

I'm having trouble getting 96KHz/24 bit Flac files to play back and would appreciate any advice.

Configuration:
  * 32-bit Windows 7 machine; 3GHz Pentium 4 processor; 3GB memory; lots of hard disk space
  * Audio interface: DACmagic DAC attached via USB
  * MC 15.  Configured to output via WASAPI, exclusive access, flush device buffer on pause, Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package.  Output format bitdepth: 24-bit; No resampling.

The file that I'm playing is a 24/96 track purchased from HDtracks.  Looking at the file characteristics with explorer confirms that the file is indeed 24/96.

When I play the file, I get music, but the LED on the DACmagic says that its receiving a 48kHz signal, not 96kHz.

The DACmagic manual says that the maximum frequency supported by USB is 48kHz - is this correct?  If so, do you think this is my problem? 

Thank you,

Doug MacKenzie

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: HD Audio Playback
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »

The resampler in the Windows 7 audio engine should be bypassed when the WASAPI Exclusive mode is enabled. MC should show a playback error if the device does not support 96 kHz.

I wonder what component is resampling, if any. Have you installed a driver for the USB audio device?

Does the DAC correctly show 44.1 kHz if that mode is enabled in MC's resampler when you play a 96 KHz file? What does it show if you play a 44.1 kHz file and set MC to 96 kHz?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »

When I play the file, I get music, but the LED on the DACmagic says that its receiving a 48kHz signal, not 96kHz.

The DACmagic manual says that the maximum frequency supported by USB is 48kHz - is this correct?  If so, do you think this is my problem?  
I don't think USB is limited, but maybe the DAC's driver doesn't like it.  We've seen USB DAC's that do work at 96 KHz.

You could also have MC resample to 48KHz.  Player/Playback Options/DSP Studio/Output format.

Wikipedia has some information on USB.

Welcome to the forum.

Douglas MacKenzie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:02:32 pm »

Yes, I  had to install a driver supplied by DACmagic – the explanation was that the standard Win7 driver wouldn’t work (which was correct).

I played with the MC resampler.  Bumping it down to 44.1 kHz produced no sound at all.  But, the LED on the DACmagic still indicated 48 kHz.  Changing the setting back to “No resampling” restored the sound.

So, I’m suspecting that the DACmagic USB driver is behind this behavior.  Do you concur?

I’ll go ask the question on the DACmagic forum.  If I resolve it, I’ll post back here.

Thank you,

Doug MacKenzie

Douglas MacKenzie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:29:13 am »

Thank you for your assistance.

I consulted DACmagic via their support forum and learned that the USB input is indeed limited by design to 48 kHz.  If I want to play 24/96 files, I have to use one of their TOSlink/SPDIF inputs.

So, it appears that all is working as designed.

I'm reallly enjoying MC - great product!

Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:33:34 am »

Thank you.   And thanks for the report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up