INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to use my Android device (EVO) as the only remote control for MC  (Read 8977 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

As it says, I want to be able to use (only) my EVO as the remote to control the playback and navigation of MC running as the Library server on the HTPC.

I'd like to be able to navigate to, drill down, select, play, pause, skip, advance, add (as next to play), add to playlist, etc with just the device.

I know WebRemote is able to do this for Audio, but I'd like to be able to control everything from this (or some other) interface, and I'd love it if this could be Wife (non-technically savy) usable with minimal hand-holding.

an interface that looks more like a remote would likely be easiest/best I think.

Ideally, it could eventually allow direct control of my Receiver thru the RS232 port, but I can live with internal MC attenuation for a (long) while :)

I saw Tremote, but it requires MC to be installed on the controller, which I can't do on the EVO, so it's out.

thoughts?  in the works, someday, maybe, pound sand??
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Do you have the latest Gizmo?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

yep, but it only plays the media on my handheld (which is very cool, but not what I'm looking for)

I think WebRemote is much closer, but I don't think it manages video or pictures (yet? :)).

However, if you're suggesting Gizmo as a format for a working remote to control another running version, that might work, but I think all Gizmo provides is the playback control transports, any selection is done in the web you get when you select media, not directly in Gizmo.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

WebRemote can start (or control) both image and video playback.

However, it sounds to me like you're looking for a remote control more like the one you'd use sitting on the couch.  Remotes like that assume you're staring at a television.  

Currently the Media Center Remote we're selling is our recommended solution for things like controlling Theater View / Display View.  Doing the same with an Android has been discussed, but there are no concrete plans.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator

yep, but it only plays the media on my handheld (which is very cool, but not what I'm looking for)
Sorry.  My mistake.  It's hot here.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

WebRemote can start (or control) both image and video playback.

However, it sounds to me like you're looking for a remote control more like the one you'd use sitting on the couch.  Remotes like that assume you're staring at a television.  

Currently the Media Center Remote we're selling is our recommended solution for things like controlling Theater View / Display View.  Doing the same with an Android has been discussed, but there are no concrete plans.

I'll have to play with the WebRemote and controlling images and playback.

I really don't want a(nother) physical remote if it can be avoided.  Putting the "controls" onto the device, and having it execute commands directly thru the web interface is much preferred to having to install an IR receiver and manage another piece of hardware in the house.

I would LOVE to see you guys embrace Android and get a remote and portable player working on the platform; I'm sure you'd get a great ROI on the development time in new customers who don't have such things available to them currently.

I'd pay for these things in the Marketplace if they were available :)

with that said, I've seen bits and pieces of things around that one could create a "remote control" interface using some of the currently available tools.  I have no programming experience or any related design/theme/customization skills yet, but if the tools are/were available, I'd devote some time to working on this.

Where would I look to get started on this, if possible?

thanks again for your quick responses; it's a big part of what I love about this place/program :)

JimH

• Administrator

WebRemote lets you use a browser to control MC.  If you wanted to build a native application for a device, you would probably use MC's Web Services Interface:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Web_Service_Interface

Thanks for the kind words.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

Yeah, I think that's what I remember seeing, thanks for the link.

Anyone know of any source or project that I can use as a jumping off point, or do I need to start from scratch on this  ?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

Matt (or anyone), can you please point me to a guide/tutorial/explanation/something that can tell me how to get started making or modifying to end up with a remote control interface?  The only thing I want to program is MC, I'm not trying to control anything else at this point.

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about programming, so the very basics are most welcome.  What program do I need to open what files in order to see how things work, and then to allow me to modify to suit my needs.

I see that Osho has modified a simple.xml file but it contains 4 html files, and a few other things, and I really don't know what to do with it to modify the design and layout and functionality.  I'm guessing that's not even what I should be starting with.

I've looked at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/WebEngine_SDK and http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Web_Service_Interface

but neither really gets me moving forward.  I understand the information enough to know how it might work, and could play around, but how/where?

some basic, read this, look here, here's where you should start info would be fine

or specific, get this program, open this file, move this here, information would be most welcome.

I'm not stupid, just ignorant about this stuff at this point :(

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen

I'm not a programmer but I suspect making use of what's already out there might save some time.  I believe the framework you want is already there.

Using Eventghost (http://www.eventghost.org/) is a generic Remote Control App.  There are plugins already done for JRiver and there is already an ANdroid App for Eventghost ("Eventghost for Andoid" in the market)  All you would need to do is map an Eventghost layout for JRiver.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, that looks like a great option, I downloaded it and will see what I can get it to do :)

JimH

• Administrator

Why would you not use WebRemote?  Have you tried it?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen

Probably for the same reason I asked for the WebRemote functionality to be built into Gizmo.  The beauty of a separate app.  I could browse AND control JRiver at the same time.  It would be persistent control.  I do use WebRemote.  I'm also a long time NetRemote user and still have a half dozen Dell PDAs throughout the house - but they control JRiver, my AMP, XBMC, Security Cam viewer, etc.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

I also use webremote, in fact, what I really want is just to expand it's capabilities.

Basically, I want it to work like a touchpad controller (think Crestron type interface).

I think there might be a touchscreen control functionality with TheaterView, which would be fine.

I'm not wanting a traditional "remote control" per se, I just want to be able to control all of MC with my phone touchscreen.

pick what I want to play, tell it where to play, then control volume and play/pause/etc.

I think WebRemote is a great start, but doesn't offer enough control.

I tried to use WebRemote on my phone to play on my laptop a recorded TV show stored on the HTPC (running the Library Server) and it almost worked, but my laptop said it couldn't playback the codec, and it showed as a mpeg file in the playing now screen.  I don't think Recorded TV shows are mpeg, so something got lost in translation.

however, it's close.  some time spent on layout (copy theaterview for the most part) and I think it replaces a traditional remote, but let's me control all zones from one mobile platform that I'm going to have with me anyway.

Yeah, I still have to turn on the TV/Monitor and control the volume on the receiver, but I can use RS232 for the receiver, and I'm not yet too lazy to turn on the TV myself :)

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen

Yeah, I still have to turn on the TV/Monitor and control the volume on the receiver, but I can use RS232 for the receiver, and I'm not yet too lazy to turn on the TV myself :)

I am using EventGhost to control my Amp volume and inputs via RS-232 as well and controlling the TV power/inputs etc via EventGhost and my USB UIRT.   Only thing I would need to do is make the "pages" in the EventGhost for Android app.  I've got that functionality in NetRemote on my WinPDAs.

JimH

• Administrator

I also use webremote, in fact, what I really want is just to expand it's capabilities.

Basically, I want it to work like a touchpad controller (think Crestron type interface).

I think there might be a touchscreen control functionality with TheaterView, which would be fine.

I'm not wanting a traditional "remote control" per se, I just want to be able to control all of MC with my phone touchscreen.

pick what I want to play, tell it where to play, then control volume and play/pause/etc.

Other than style, that's exactly what WebRemote does.  If you want to change the style, you can edit the web pages and make another "Appearance".  In MediaNetwork options, you can browse to the folder:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\Data\WebRemote

Change the html and save with a new name at the same level as "Default".

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

Other than style, that's exactly what WebRemote does.

Yeah, but if the style doesn't show the options necessary to effect full control, it's still not a fully working remote control :)  that's the problem.

If you want to change the style, you can edit the web pages and make another "Appearance".  In MediaNetwork options, you can browse to the folder:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\Data\WebRemote

Change the html and save with a new name at the same level as "Default".

that's kind of what I was asking earlier when I asked how and where would one get started on trying to customize the webremote interface.

Unfortunately, I also have little experience editing/creating/modifying HTML, what program would you suggest one uses to modify these files?  something with a "preview/test" function would be great I would think.

I'd like to play around a bit and see if I can get this modified to include some of the things I want to have control of.

Thanks again.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: I want to use my Android device (EVO) as the only remote control for MC
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 03:23:55 am »

Hi Matt,

I was reading this thread with interest because I am also interested in using my Andoroid phone as a remote, but with the TV OFF. I absolutely love the idea of navigating my music collection on a handheld device, seeing albums, cover art, artist names, etc etc, just as you would if the music was local on the Android phone. XBMC have a fantastic solution for this which I installed last night and am fiddling with.

A Sonus-like handheld is what I would like my Android phone to be when controlling MC... very visual!

Thanks,

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up