INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VST problems, again  (Read 2191 times)

jherbert

• World Citizen
VST problems, again
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »

I am trying to use a vst plugin in mc15 but cannot get it to show its configuration screen nor to initialize properly. It works well with sound forge pro 10 and foobar.

The plugin in question is a convolver for filters generated with acourate. It switches filters depending on the samplerate of the file to be played and allows for selection of 3 different sets of filters. Really neat, but not working at all with jriver, which is too bad as jriver is the best player I know. 

Is there a source of information what jriver expects in a vst plugin, or a source for common problems? Any input is really appreciated. In addition I would be more than happy to mail the plugin in question for a closer look, should that be possible.   

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: VST problems, again
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:44:33 pm »

Please send me a copy of the plugin.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

You could also ask the plugin author to take a look, because perhaps they're assuming a function will be called that isn't, or aren't handling the threading model of Media Center properly.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:38 pm »

Thanks for the email.

That plugin is both a Winamp2 and VST plugin all in one DLL.  Media Center is installing it as a Winamp 2 DSP.

I've never seen both plugins in one DLL before, but I suppose Media Center should give VST precedence over Winamp 2 in a case like this.

Build 72 will have this:
Changed: If a DSP plugin is both a Winamp 2 and VST plugin, it will be used as a VST instead of as a Winamp 2 plugin.

You will probably want to uninstall and reinstall the plugin once this is available.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:35 pm »

Thanks a lot, Matt. I look forward to build 072. I really appreciate your help.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:28:55 am »

After taking out the winamp part initialization and interface do work now. Unfortunately another problem popped up. While everything seems fine, MC15 reports “output format not supported” and the filter is not active.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:57 am »

When calling effOpen, effSetSampleRate, and effSetBlockSize, we assume non-zero return values are failures.

The plugin in question returns 1 when calling effSetSampleRate.

Reading the documentation, it's not as explicit about this as it should be.  This link does say "always returns 0, unless otherwise defined."

I'm not aware of any other good way to test if a plugin open fails except for checking these return values, and this method works with most plugins.  If anyone has any tips, we'd appreciate them.

Thanks.

jherbert

• World Citizen
VST problems, solved
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:40:06 am »

Matt,

your input was most helpful. It is great that I can use my favorite room correction software perfectly integrated with MC15 now. Thank you so much. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up