INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Stacking Movie files with ext. subtitles (srt) by filename. is this doable?  (Read 2518 times)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.

I was wondering if i can achieve the following:

Let's say i have a folder with movies and their corresponding external subtitles as SRT files. What i want to do is to have the files  stacked (or auto stacked) by taking the filename (path) into account. So if i import let's say Armageddon movie (movie file being Armageddon.mkv and its subtitle externally saved as Armageddon.srt into the same folder) i want to be able to create a stack of the movie+the subtitle for organizing purposes.

Is something like that doable ?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

If you import subtitle files and include them in a view, then they can be stacked with their video files. But why would you want to do that? Is there something you need to do with the subtitle files in MC?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Is there something you need to do with the subtitle files in MC?

Perhaps Arbiter would like to move them together with the video files.

I have subtitle files in my media library. I use an all media view for organizing them.

A couple of old screenshots:

Similarly also my music library contains files that are not audio:

... During the last few years I have used MC for moving my "auxiliary" files together with the main media files. It is possible because MC can handle and tag image files and documents as well as audio and video files.

Here are some old example screenshots from my library:

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

I have imported the cover art, other related image, document, subtitle, etc files and tagged all files with common basic tags (the tags that I may use in a naming rule if I move the files). For tagging and renaming files I use "all media" view schemes which don't have media type restrictions.

Since I always store the linked cover art file in the media files' folder the link doesn't contain a path and it will always be correct if the folder and all files inside it are moved.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I just tested stacking my "Babylon 5 / season 1" avi and srt files. I used the "Autostack by name" command and defined avi to be on top. It worked fine. I can move both file types by selecting only the avi files in a video view and moving them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rick.ca

Perhaps Arbiter would like to move them together with the video files.

Perhaps, but the "i have a folder with movies and their corresponding external subtitles as SRT files" made me think not. If file management were the only need, I would recommend showing them only in a separate view designed for that purpose. And in that view, stacking would work, but seems contrary to the purpose. But maybe he just wants them available for his reading enjoyment. :-\

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.

Thanks for the responses and sorry for my late reply :P

Pretty much yes! What i want to achieve, is to be able to use the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" to organize my movies but without leaving the *.srt files behind.

But what i can't find, is a way to have mc auto-import the *.srt files. I have configured the folders i need for auto-import to watch and i have data support enabled but mc wont import them.

what am i missing ?:(

rick.ca

what am i missing ?

Nothing I can see—SRT is not among the file types that can be selected. You could import them from the Explorer context menu, but that's a long way from "automatic." Maybe Alex has a suggestion.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I use drag & drop.

In Windows explorer: search for .srt, select all, drag & drop into MC.

It isn't automatic, but it is fast and not difficult.

IMHO, JRiver could add the common subtitle file types to the importable document file types.

EDIT

Another easy way is to browse the video folders inside MC in Drives & Devices, search for .srt, select all and do "right-click > Import Into Library". The Drives & Devices section in the tree can be set to "show files in subfolders".

rick.ca

IMHO, JRiver could add the common subtitle file types to the importable document file types.

But what about those INFO files? ;)

I often wonder why MC doesn't support adding any file type to those it will recognize and handle. Maybe there would be consequences I'm not appreciating, but this would make it so much easier to deal with special circumstances. It would also make the "any media" part of the Mission completely undeniable. 8)

In this case, for example, it would be nice to be able to add a "subtitles" file type, designate it as a video media type, assign extensions, specify that such files be opened with notepad, and include it in files to be auto-imported.

Another (hypothetical) example: Some of my MKV files have content not handled well by the filters specified for MKV files. I would like to call these MKVx files, and specify different filters (or an external application) to handle them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up