INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Setting Up DSP (MC15, Receivers and Filters)  (Read 2016 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Thoughts on Setting Up DSP (MC15, Receivers and Filters)
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:45:02 am »

JRiver have spent a good deal of time in MC15 developing a wide range of DSP (Options --> Audio --> Audio Output --> ... DSP & Output Formats) and after an afternoon of playing here are some conclusions I've come to that may help others.

Where does the content come from?  After playing with many settings I've found that you first need to determin what device is going to apply what settings.  Many of the DSP options are available in MC15, the Filters (for Video's Audio), the Renderer, and last but not least the Receiver, eg in my setup (MC15, FFDSHOW Audio Decoder, Reclock Audio Renderer for Video, Yami V2700) I find I have:
- DSP / Sound Field Effects (eg Concert Hall, Church etc):  Available in MC15, FFDSHOW and the Receiver
- Equalizer:  Available in MC15, FFDSHOW and the Receiver
- Output Format (Sample Rate, Channel Mixing, Bitdepth, Subwoofer cross overs):  Available in MC15, FFDSHOW, Reclock, and the Receiver
- Room Correction (Individual speaker configs for Volume Levels, Distance, Bass Management, Polarity, Test Tones):  Available in MC15, FFDSHOW and the Receiver
- Tempo and Pitch:  Available in MC15
- Volume Leveling (Track based volume adjustment options):  Available in MC15

After getting some undesirable results, I realised that in many cases I had many of the same/similar DSP effects being applied by MC15, FFDSHOW, Reclock and the Receiver!  Clearly not a good outcome.  My setup is pretty simple:
- 5.1 Axiom Speakers
- Yami V2700 Receiver with inputs from a HTPC and a STB over HDMI
- HTPC has MC15 for Audio and Direct Show based Video Playback and TMT for Blu-ray / HD-DVD Disc and ISO playback

So my source material can be any of the following:
1) TV over the STB (both 2.0 and 5.1 in PCM or DD) direct to the Yami over HDMI
2) TV, Video based audio from MC15 (both 2.0 and 5.1 in various formats), decoded by FFDSHOW to LPCM then to Reclock as the Renderer then to the Yami over HDMI
3) Blu-ray / HD-DVD based audio from TMT (normally 5.1 but in various formats), decoded by TMT to LPCM then to Reclock as the Renderer then to the Yami over HDMI
4) Audio only from MC15 (normally 2.0 but in various formats), decoded to LPCM by MC15's renderer then to the Yami over HDMI
5) Radio (normally FM, some AM) comes from the Receiver itself

Where do you want to apply what DSP effect?  As much of my content does not come from MC15 (eg STB, Radio and Blu-ray/HD-DVD) I found I had to pick what device was going to apply what DSP effect and then disable the corresponding features at other levels, such as:
1) Room Correction:  This one is best done first as I want a balanced output for all devices (and some don't have DSP options), and hence for me is best done in the Receiver.  Here I can sit with my Test Tones, SPL Meter and balance each of the speakers for Volume Level, Distance, Bass Management, Polarity etc and it will then be consistant for all my sources.  In my particular setup I chose Main Vol 0db level at 75db (85db is way to loud for me), all speakers to full range, 80Hz sub cross over but bass going to the Mains as well (my main start to roll off under 80hz, and the sub is flat down to 18Hz but using all three gives me a pleasing seamless bass response).
2) - DSP / Sound Field Effects:  I do this one in multiple devices.  The Yami lets me assign a DSP / Sound Field Effect by input so I have:
  a) STB Input:  "Movie" - This will matrix a 2.0 TV Show into 5.1 which most importantly centralises speech from the center speaker, great for News etc but does not stuff up the 5.1 shows
  b) HTPC Input:  "Straight" - This turns off the Receivers DSP effects so that it just amplifies what it receives hence leaving the HTPC to do it's thing as follows:
    * TMT with Reclock (Blu-ray / HD-DVD):  Decodes to High Res LPCM in 5.1 and outputs as is with no additional DSP (perfect for these sources as I don't feel I need to play with anything)
    * MC with Audio:  I use JRSS v2.0 to mix this to 5.1 (note: this option in MC15 is under Output Format not Effects) as I prefer the fuller sound as I more around the house.  If I'm in the mood to sit in the "sweat spot" just listening to pure audio I'd turn this off as the 2.0 sound stage is better IMHO.
    * MC with Video's Audio:  As I use reclock for frequency changing and sync, I can not use the JRiver Audio Filter to apply my up mixing of 2.0 sources (eg Home Videos, DTV, older Music Videos etc) but instead I use FFDSHOW which also has a mixer that will expand 2.0 to 5.1 without touching 5.1 sources.

Each persons setup is different so there is no "one right way" on this one.  I do know that just applying DSP effects in one device without thing through where in the chain it sits has unintended consequences.  Eg - I was applying Bass Mgt in MC15 but with what was already setup in the Receiver made it way to warm.

I've attached screens shots of both MC15 expanding a 2.0 Audio to 5.1, and FFSHOW in MC expanding a 2.0 Video Audio's to 5.1 as well.  This is a tinkerers delight (no wonder Matt has spent so much time on it!)....whats your settings and suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up