INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio distortion every 3-4 days [was caused by] Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 11118 times)

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe

Ever since getting a new computer and Win7, I get audio distortion at about 3-4 days of uptime in MediaCenter (could be other audio players, but who uses anything else?) when I open multiple tabs at once in Firefox while they are loading.

I have no idea why...

But I do know that if I kill Microsoft Security Essentials (MsMpEng.exe) and restart it, the problem goes away another 3-4 days.

I now do this kill/restart (of the service) in a batch file daily.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

DoubtingThomas

Re: FYI - audio distortion every 3-4 days.... Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:52 pm »

Jim, I saw his thread months ago and even put the pgms he listed in the list of pgms to for MSE to ignore, no help.

And I never ever see MsMgEng sucking up processor time.

A co-worker brought up the high cpu issue and just for the hell of it (desperate...), I tried killing it and presto audio distortion was gone and did not come back on a MSE restart, for another 3-4 days.

Who knows... but I have a work around, restart MsMbSvc daily from a scheduled event.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
Re: FYI - audio distortion every 3-4 days.... Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »

You can try running Microsoft's SysInternals Process Monitor to log file access activity related to Microsoft Security Essentials to help track down what is causing the resource conflicts and ultimately the audio distortion.  This Microsoft Answers thread explains how to get Process Monitor set up to view only relevant MsMpEng.exe events (you need to set a few filters).

The heuristic scan in MSE seems to run into resource hogging problems in certain situations.  You may have a particular file on your computer that drives MSE nuts trying to scan.  Either because that file is aggressively locked or maybe utilizes some sort of code obfuscation or code packing in the executable.  Archive files that contain nested archives and files that do code packing can also drive MSE nuts as it keeps digging deeper and deeper.  Encrypted archives can also drive MSE nuts, same with excutables that contain encrypted or packed code sections.

If you can figure out what file or application is you can add an exception for it in MSE. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up