INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manage Links Question  (Read 1681 times)

noose6767

Manage Links Question
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:24 am »

I have urls stored in my own custom fields (e.g "Artist Homepage Url", "Artist Myspace Url" etc).
Can someone explain to me how to configure the "Manage Links" to get it to just open a url from one of my custom tag
fields. I don't need a search url as I have the explicit url in the tag.

I'm sure this must be achievable but I guess I'm too divvy to suss it out, any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Manage Links Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:16 pm »

You could do a number of things:

Suppose not all files have all url fields populated, then you might prefer the link to search instead? You get it to do this by using an expression constructed like so:

if(isempty([URL FIELD]),Enter search url here,[URL FIELD])

Now, when you click the link, [URL FIELD] will be used if it is populated, otherwise, the search url will be used.

If you only want the link to show up when a file that has a populated [URL FIELD] is selected, you can select the link in the links manager, click on the "Edit search" button, then click on the "Add new rule" button, paste the following string into the right hand field [=isempty([URL FIELD])]=0 and then simply place [URL FIELD] in the search url field. My experience is that when using this approach, nothing is required in the "Base URL" field.

In these examples, you will need to replace "[URL FIELD]" with your custom field names, keeping the square brackets, of course.
Is that enough to get you started?

-marko

noose6767

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:56:17 am »

Brilliant, works great - Thanks a lot for your help

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:11:28 am »

You're welcome. It was a good question. Personally, I hadn't thought of using links this way until you asked.

Regards,
-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up