INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't modify "Playing Now" list when "Playing There"  (Read 1445 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Can't modify "Playing Now" list when "Playing There"
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:43:29 am »

From a client MC PC, with my MC server library loaded, I cannot modify (change playing order) of the "Playing Now" list when "Playing There" (on the server's sound system).  I hope that makes sense.

I can add tracks to playing now, but I can't drag tracks up and down the list to change the order... as I can when "Playing Here".  Is this normal?  Please advise if you can.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Can't modify "Playing Now" list when "Playing There"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:01 am »

I was hoping someone could verify if this was a limitatation of "Playing There" or if there is some setting I can change.  thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:37 am »

This is a limitation of Library Server zones.  We hope to remove the limitation in the future.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:27 am »

This is slightly of topic here, but it might be good to post all replies that are related to the Playing Now zones in one thread.

I just encountered a bit similar problem when I was playing linked output to two local devices. MC handled correctly many things, for example skipping, but when I changed the order of the following tracks to play in the Zone 1 the change was not replicated in the Zone 2. After the track change the two zones didn't play the same track.

The system seems quite complex for just replicating the output. Could the linked local devices be presented as a single Playing Now list and the decoded stream be splitted to two or more output streams just before the zone specific DSP chains?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:41 am »

The system seems quite complex

I think the user experience of linking zones is pretty simple.  Could you describe what about it feels complex?

Could the linked local devices be presented as a single Playing Now list and the decoded stream be splitted to two or more output streams just before the zone specific DSP chains?

It was a design goal to build a system that could support DLNA or remote zones.  This means the split must be at the zone level, not at the output stream level.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:11 am »

I think the user experience of linking zones is pretty simple.  Could you describe what about it feels complex?

I mean "technically complex" because the system needs to maintain two or more separate Playing Now lists. Obviously there is some complexity because the zones don't always stay linked as expected.

It was a design goal to build a system that could support DLNA or remote zones.  This means the split must be at the zone level, not at the output stream level.

I understand what you mean, that's why I said "local" devices. Perhaps a simple alternative system could be used when two local sound devices or a splitted multi-channel device is used.

It is actually a bit surprising that Windows doesn't provide a way to link the installed sound devices, not even the redesigned Vista/Windows 7 audio system.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up