INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC vs. MC 15  (Read 2562 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
EAC vs. MC 15
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:30:21 am »

I'd like to know more about MC's ripping function, I use FLAC lossless compression to store CD audio. Does it compare favorably to the program Exact Audio Copy? Also, does it use error correction, can it handle CD's that have scratches or skips?

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: EAC vs. MC 15
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:36:33 am »

Media Center has very good secure ripping.  It reads each sector at least twice, and defeats drive caching.

It gives you a report at the end of each rip, and if it tells you that you have a secure rip, you can take it to the bank.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:45:39 am »

Ooh.  Welcome back.  Did you have a nice trip?

PS. MC's secure ripping mode is awesome.  Try it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:56:25 am »

@Glynor,  Thanks, I guess you saw my post from yesterday! User error strikes again. I ran a bunch of checks on my system, and there was trojan/spyware on my computer (I took the problem post down, I have appreciated the advice from this forum very much and didn't want to leave "bad press" up.) Solved it the old-fashioned way, reinstalled Win7... J River reinstalled with no problem, but I lost some customizations.

Any way to save custom views and library settings etc. for in-case-of-emergency reinsallations?

@Matt, That sounds great, I'll move to MC for ripping in FLAC. I had problems before with the EAC program anyway, so if your software runs comparable (or better) error-checking features I'd give it a try.

Thanks again,

Phil

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »

Error checking seems comparable in my tests, but MC doesn't do offset-correction the same way. If that doesn't matter for you I would use MC. EAC is a bit unstable and buggy as a program.

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:00:00 pm »

I always used EAC and works fine.
I see no reason to replace it for MC.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »

I have recently switched from EAC to MC for ripping. My main reason for doing this was a much smoother (for me) workflow. I hesitated for a long time because of the lack of offset correction in MC. J River won't be adding that feature, it seems, so it's up to you to decide if you can live without it.

There is one thing, however, that I feel MC could improve a little when it comes to ripping, and that is the rip report. It currently states date and time, and of course track listing and all the relevant info such as re-reads, unreliable data, unreadable sectors etc if you have a troublesome rip. I think the report should also include MC version and drive name/model.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:28:05 am »

There is one thing, however, that I feel MC could improve a little when it comes to ripping, and that is the rip report. It currently states date and time, and of course track listing and all the relevant info such as re-reads, unreliable data, unreadable sectors etc if you have a troublesome rip. I think the report should also include MC version and drive name/model.
This is coming in a future build:

"Changed: Secure CD rip report now includes program name/version and CD drive model and settings info."
Pages: [1]   Go Up