INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV playback in MC15  (Read 2079 times)

Batsy2

MKV playback in MC15
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:43 am »

I did some searching on playing mkv files in mc, but it's not clear to me on how to do this.  Some posts say mc can play mkv and other posts talk about using filters or plugin's.  Can someone help get me going in the right direction?  Much thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MKV playback in MC15
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:00:04 am »

I did some searching on playing mkv files in mc, but it's not clear to me on how to do this.  Some posts say mc can play mkv and other posts talk about using filters or plugin's.  Can someone help get me going in the right direction?  Much thanks.

MKV is a container format, so anything can be inside.

Try reading about DirectShow on our wiki (link above) and install CCCP.

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:48 am »

also see my thread, I just solved this same thing

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59543.0

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:53 am »

Generally, it should Just Work if you have the DirectShow decoders available for Windows Media Player to be able to play them.  This is primarily Haali Media Splitter and FFDSHOW (with Gabest's VSFilter if you need subs).  CCCP is an easy way to get a standardized and working full filter set for a wide variety of media types.

If you don't know exactly what you are doing, it is best to not go mucking about in MC's Options -> File Types (or Options -> Video).

One last thing you MIGHT need to do, if you are on Windows 7, is enable third-party H264 decoding via FFDSHOW or CoreAVC or whatever you might use.  Microsoft built in some decoders with Windows 7 and the system won't let you override them without a "hack".  This tool can help you do that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »

(with Gabest's VSFilter if you need subs)

Speaking of subs, I've created some MKV files straight from DVDs using MakeMKV (no audio\video stream conversion), but I have some issues with subs.

VLC can play the subs perfectly for all MKV files I created, but both Window Media Player and MC have problems with only a few of the mkv files: subs are either not seen at all or are a little bit out of sync. Note that with most files subs are played correctly by WMP\MC as well.

As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be with DirectVobSub (used by both WMP and MC).

Is there any setting that can be configured in DirectVobSub or in MC to (try and) fix this problem?
If not, is there an alternative to using DirectVobSub to play subs?

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »

Make sure you are using VSFilter and not actually DirectVobSub (though sometimes the application names are used interchangeably).  These are actually both the same program by Gabest.  They used to be called DirectVobSub, but the name was changed to VSFilter a long while ago.  Old versions of DirectVobSub are known to cause all sorts of issues.

You can download the latest version here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter_DirectVobSub

VLC just uses a built-in version of VSFilter to do it's thing.  VLC is not a DirectShow player (it doesn't, and cannot, use Windows DirectShow filter components), so it isn't always a great comparison tool.

Batsy2

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:21:13 pm »

CCCP got everything going, thanks for the help!!

robydago

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »

You can download the latest version here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter_DirectVobSub

I think I had that version already, but I downloaded it and installed it again from your link anyway.

No luck: still same behavior.

To be more accurate, I have two kinds of problems:
- in some files subs are not selectable (seems like directvobsub can't find them inside the mkv file)
- in some files subs are selectable but while, in the same file, the English subs play ok, the Italian ones play erratically: they are not really out of sync, some phrases are played ok, but others are played too fast (like 1/10th of a second) and so cannot be read at all.

I created a lot of MKV files with AutoMKV, but only few of them have these subs issues.

I know VLC is not a DirectShow player, but whenever I have a problem with MC I now test one different DirectShow player (WMP) and a non DirectShow Player (VLC) to better understand the problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »

I know VLC is not a DirectShow player, but whenever I have a problem with MC I now test one different DirectShow player (WMP) and a non DirectShow Player (VLC) to better understand the problem.

Yeah.  That's always a good idea.  I just wanted to be sure you knew.

Sorry... I'm not much help in the subtitle realm, being a native English speaker, and you know the new world order latin and all that.

robydago

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

Glynor,
thanks anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up