INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Displays  (Read 4825 times)

wmoan

• Recent member
LCD Displays
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:37 am »

Hi

Just wondering what the best way is to get MC working with an LCD Display.
I've been looking around and it seems there was at one point a plugin for LCDSmartie but all the information and link I have come across are either out dated or not working.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: LCD Displays
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question.... unless it was posted through a time-warp 15 years ago? Don't most people have LCD displays these days? I'm using two on this PC and MC runs just fine.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 01:20:46 am »

I was using LCDSmartie plugin (I have it - can share) but gave up on it - it messes up my setup - when it's active and you close MC, MC actually stays open - my setup doesn't like that. There's also Girder 5 which has built-in LCD support (and MC support) - I believe it creates the same problem. Why it's bad? I am using shared libraries and when MC is running there's no way of updating the library. I tried several workarounds (writing the info in a text file and reading it into LCDSmartie, for example) but after a few years of trying I've given up on LCD/MC completely. I have 2x16 and it's useless anyway. I now just have some weather info, current time and other junk like that on it (fed from LCDSmartie).

--max

Hi

Just wondering what the best way is to get MC working with an LCD Display.
I've been looking around and it seems there was at one point a plugin for LCDSmartie but all the information and link I have come across are either out dated or not working.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:34:51 am »

Is it really LCD, or is it VFD? I've had a VFD display on my HTPC cabinet for ages. It worked very basically before. Planned on showing playing now and other stuff, but never got around testing it. Now it's broken, and I need to replace it. Have LCD taken over the VFD screens?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

wmoan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:24:45 am »

I'm not sure I understand the question.... unless it was posted through a time-warp 15 years ago? Don't most people have LCD displays these days? I'm using two on this PC and MC runs just fine.

By LCD display I mean a small alpha-numeric 2 or 4 line display that sits in the front of the case :)

I was using LCDSmartie plugin (I have it - can share) but gave up on it - it messes up my setup - when it's active and you close MC, MC actually stays open - my setup doesn't like that. There's also Girder 5 which has built-in LCD support (and MC support) - I believe it creates the same problem. Why it's bad? I am using shared libraries and when MC is running there's no way of updating the library. I tried several workarounds (writing the info in a text file and reading it into LCDSmartie, for example) but after a few years of trying I've given up on LCD/MC completely. I have 2x16 and it's useless anyway. I now just have some weather info, current time and other junk like that on it (fed from LCDSmartie).

--max

Thinking about it, I guess there is no point having info displayed on it like track title or movie title, when it is displayed in giant letters across the TV screen. Plus the fact, the display is so small, you probably wouldn't be able to read it from across the room anyway :)
But I guess im thinking, it's there so I might as well use it!
I wouldn't mind a copy of the LCD Smartie plugin, just to have a little play about with simon.foote att blueyonder d o t .co.uk

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:55 am »

Thanks for the clarification - I figured it out after the first reply. If I had figured it out before, I would have chimed in in support of the question.

Vacuum Fluorescent Displays VFDs are much better received than most of the HTPC case LCD implementations - at least compared to the early Soundgraph/iMon ones. They were considered obtrusively bright, whereas the VFDs had a much cleaner look. I would have loved to have MC stuff displayed on my VFD - I didn't know it was possible. I just upgraded my HTPC and since I'm in MC15 90% of the time for media playback, I figured there was no reason to get a case with a VFD.
My older case will be retired tot he basement, where the VFD won't be visible anyway, otherwise this LCDSmartie software seemed like an interested plaything.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:14:28 am »

Exactly my thoughts...
Look in your mailbox - will email in a minute.
Also check this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538690

--max

Thinking about it, I guess there is no point having info displayed on it like track title or movie title, when it is displayed in giant letters across the TV screen. Plus the fact, the display is so small, you probably wouldn't be able to read it from across the room anyway :)
But I guess im thinking, it's there so I might as well use it!
I wouldn't mind a copy of the LCD Smartie plugin, just to have a little play about with simon.foote att blueyonder d o t .co.uk

wmoan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »

Exactly my thoughts...
Look in your mailbox - will email in a minute.
Also check this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538690

--max

Thanks Max

Having a little play now :)

...Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up