INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play/convert DTS WAV (with CUE) --> FLAC?  (Read 11005 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
How to play/convert DTS WAV (with CUE) --> FLAC?
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:05:57 am »

I have some content in WAV files that I'd like to convert to FLAC (note: they play as static in MC) including
1) 6ch 44.1khz 24 bit DTS
2) 6ch 44.1khz 24 bit DTS (Multi track with cue file)
3) 2ch 44.1khz 16 bit PCM (Multi track with cue file)

I'm fine converting "normal" WAV/Cue files but as they don't play as static at present I figure there is some "magic" I'm currently unaware of - any hints on how to play/convert this puppies in MC?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: How to play/convert DTS WAV (with CUE) --> FLAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:12:58 am »

To get started on just playing DTS WAV files, I have done the following in the past. However, I no longer have any DTS WAV files to test if this works or if I am missing a step.

1.  Tag the files with a File Type of DTS.
2.  In Tools > Options > File Types > Audio > DTS use the Playback Method of JRiver audio engine (Using directshow filter).
3.  Select ffdshow audio decoder under Other Filters
4.  Click to configure ffdshow
5.  Under ffdshow's audio codecs, make sure that DTS has a decoder selected and at the bottom of that page make sure that Check for DTS In WAV is checked. The uncompressed format needs to be set to All Supported.
6.  Play your file.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

Thanks - I'll give it a go when I'm back.  Can MC then convert to other formats when duing DirectShow Filters?
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:10:52 pm »

Thanks - I'll give it a go when I'm back.  Can MC then convert to other formats when duing DirectShow Filters?
I'm not sure, but once MC can play them I usually don't have a reason to convert them. I guess it might be helpful with external devices.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:57 pm »

I'd really like to know the answer to jmone's original question, though.  To convert from DTS WAV to FLAC, is there anything in particular I need to know?  Best practices, etc?

I have a few DTS WAV files lying about too (mostly old live shows that fans have converted to surround).  I've gotten them working in the past with MC (and I think they work now, but I haven't checked in a while).  It would be really nice to get these into a more modern container.  Would FLAC be the best choice?  MP4 instead?

I'm guessing pulling out Foobar is going to be the best way...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

You could try to use eac3to to convert the files. It is probably easily done to FLAC with a command line expression.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

I did try eac2 and it worked on some, but not all, and of course you lose tags etc.  This is where MC works so well
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 05:02:39 am »

OK - Here is the process I used (based on mojave's suggestion) after a couple of hours of frigging around!

This example is for Album comprising a single WAV (DTS) with CUE file
0) Make sure the WAV and CUE files are marked as "Read Only" or MC will delete the original WAV file half way through the conversion process!
1) In Tools > Options > File Types > Audio > WAV > JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow Filter): Source Filter = File Source (Async.) / Other Filters = AC3 Filter / Video Renderer = Automatic
2) Import CUE file (you should now see each track including meta data & be able to play it)
3) Make sure the settings in AC3 Filter are to your liking (as these settings will determine the output file format as MC will play through this filter and capture the output as a file)
4) Select Files to Convert then Right Click --> Library Tools --> Convert Format and then make sure you select "Uncompressed Wave" & in options select "Replace original file on disk and in library" then --> Start

You now have the tracks as individual WAV files with Meta Data stored in the Library, now
5) In Tools > Options > File Types > Audio > WAV > Automatic (to change it back from the DTS decoding mode using AC3Filter to "normal")
6) Select the newly created WAV Files (you may have to go to Playlists --> Recently Imported) then Right Click --> Library Tools --> Convert Format and select "FLAC" --> Start

At this stage you should have FLAC Versions (you can now apply Cover Art and embed the Meta Data into the tracks with "Update tags from Library"

DONE!

**EDIT: I think you need to be using the JR Audio Renderer for this to work!
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:53:19 am »

Are they still DTS encoded then though?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

Nope, the decoding chain is WAV(DTS)-->WAV-->FLAC
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up