INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port forwarding on a Linksys WRT150N Wireless N Router  (Read 10302 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Port forwarding on a Linksys WRT150N Wireless N Router
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »

I wanted to open up a network for media streaming and remote control from outside the network.

The port, 52199, is used for Library Server in JRiver Media Center, but the procedure is the same for any internal server that is protected by a firewall.  The wireless router just needs to know what port the requests are for and then forward them on to the server.  This is called "port forwarding" and is configured on the router.

On the server, the internal address has to be fixed.  DHCP on the wireless router normally assigns addresses on demand to each new device, but to run a server the address needs to be fixed.  This is done in Windows Control Panel/Network.

So now a request from the outside world for port 52199 is forwarded to my internal address, 192.168.1.1.

And it works now.

Linksys has a very good support site.  Here's their article on port forwarding.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Port forwarding on a Linksys WRT150N Wireless N Router
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:04:35 pm »

One issue I had with my router also a Linksys was that it forwarded to a set NAT based IP Address.
However the machine was getting the NAT IP Address via DHCP, which meant it changed on a regular basis, and so the port forwarding would soon stop working.
Unfortunately the router did not have a way of statically assigning an IP address to the machines MAC Address in the DHCP server.
I believe I could probably get around this by putting a different firmware on the device.
However as a quick solution I manually assigned an address to the computer that I knew would work and not cause interference with the DHCP Server.

A quick way to test that the forwarding has worked for the library server is by finding your external ip address using a site like
http://www.whatsmyip.org/

and then typing the the external address into a browser with the forwarded port
so for example:
http://xx.xx.xx.xx:52199

Where the xx.xx.xx.xx is your external IP.  This should then open the web server's page up if there's a web page to connect to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up