INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Cuts Out When Skipping FW/RW in WASAPI Mode  (Read 1550 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio Cuts Out When Skipping FW/RW in WASAPI Mode
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

I'm experiencing a regular problem with my output mode set to WASAPI - Event Style (and the Video output set to Same as Audio), and I skip forward and/or backwards a lot with my remote or keyboard.  I've noticed this most often when I start a new video file playing back, and then quickly start to skip forward or backwards repeatedly from the initial playback position (in order to reposition the playhead).  This happens most reliably with Video files, but I've also been able to reproduce the issue with Audio playback (but I generally have to use a longer-than-normal audio file).  It doesn't seem to happen every single time I try, and often skipping forward and back works fine, but it happens often enough that it isn't workable.

When this happens, the file will continue to play, but no audio is emitted.  MC seems to "think" the file is still playing correctly (the VU meters up top keep dancing about normally).  However, once this issue occurs, if I skip to the next file in the Playing Now list, or attempt to play any other files in MC, the files "fail" to play.  I get no error message, but MC skips past them, showing the "Opening" OSD text over and over, and skipping files one after the other.  I never get the "X number of files have failed to play" error dialog.  It keeps going until I stop it, and the files that "played" do show an increase in the play count (as though they played through to completion).

The only way to "fix it" is to close and restart MC.  After that, MC will perform normally until the issue recurs.

I'm using the current build of MC.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 6870, and am using it's HDMI audio output, with the current drivers (10.10).  I've tried increasing the Hardware buffer size to 100ms, which seemed to somewhat mitigate the issue, but I can still reproduce it with regularity.  I did also see this issue once when I set the output mode to "vanilla" WASAPI instead of the Event Style variety.  I'm not sure what else to try.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio Cuts Out When Skipping FW/RW in WASAPI Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »

Anyone?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:12 am »

Poke....

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:26 am »

I'm using the current build of MC.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 6870, and am using it's HDMI audio output, with the current drivers (10.10).  I've tried increasing the Hardware buffer size to 100ms, which seemed to somewhat mitigate the issue, but I can still reproduce it with regularity.  I did also see this issue once when I set the output mode to "vanilla" WASAPI instead of the Event Style variety.  I'm not sure what else to try.

The HDMI, unfortunately, has that dreadful handshaking (HDCP?) process when something is changed.  When the music is switched, the HDMI might consider it's time to go through handshake again.

To determine whether the HDMI handshaking is the culprit, you could try using another sound card with optical or coaxial digital output or a standalone USB DAC.
Nelson

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »

Unfortunately, that kind of test really won't help me.  That would be testing with an entirely different audio device, using different drivers, and different abilities....

Like I said... It works, most of the time.  I can even skip around quite a bit and it is fine.  It really seems to be if I immediately start skipping forward or back when I first play the files that causes it the most frequently.  Also, when it initially "breaks", the video keeps playing, it is only the audio that stops working.  If it really was a HDCP thing, then it should block the video too and not just the audio.

I don't know.  It is weird, but it feels like it is buggy.  It could certainly be buggy drivers from AMD, but it could conceivably be something weird in the WASAPI implementation in MC.

Pages: [1]   Go Up