INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Organization  (Read 1634 times)

slowdown5646

• Recent member
Library Organization
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:10 pm »

I'm brand new to JRiver coming from iTunes and I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to.

1. Is there a way to automatically copy files to an organized library folder? I've seen that once you drag files into the library, you can then select them and copy them to a specific directory, but not having to do that every time I add files to the library would be nice.

2. I didn't copy my entire library over yet so I'm entirely sure if this has any effect, but there are arrows with numbers next to them (1 names, 2 album, 3 album as well, 4 track number - 2 and 4 show up in file view, 1 and 3 in artist). I thought it had to do with organization order but it seems to organize regularly. What exactly do these arrows mean?

3. Is there any way to share a JRiver library on other media players such as iTunes?

4. Also, is there any support for last.fm? I've searched awhile and can't find a straight answer. I see a page for a plugin which links to the J River last.fm page which has nothing there...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Organization
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:08 am »

I'm brand new to JRiver coming from iTunes and I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to.

Welcome to Interact!

1. Is there a way to automatically copy files to an organized library folder? I've seen that once you drag files into the library, you can then select them and copy them to a specific directory, but not having to do that every time I add files to the library would be nice.

Well, yes and no.  There is no way to automatically organize the file structure, but this is not really a negative thing.  When you select a set of files and right click -> Library Tools, you will find a powerful tool called Rename, Move & Copy Files.  This tool will let you organize and re-organize your file structure however you see fit based on the tags you've entered for your files.

This is a manual process, but that is usually better for workflow reasons.  I don't want MC moving my files around and renaming them until I've finished fully ingesting them and tagging them.  Often, valuable tag information can be automatically extracted from filenames and paths (using the related Library Tools -> Fill Properties from Filename tool).  If MC automatically renamed and moved your files upon ingestion, like iTunes does, then you'd be unable to extract that information from the existing file structure (because it would already be gone).

Also, the Rename, Move & Copy tool is smart, so you don't necessarily have to be precise with which files you select.  It won't bother touching files that are already "correct", and will only adjust those that need changed.  So it is often easy to just Select All and then use the tool to fix those files that aren't named/located properly.

Generally, I find the best practice is this:

* Have an "Incoming" folder, where all new media goes if you aren't ABSOLUTELY SURE it is already named properly.  For example, rips don't need to go there because they will automatically be structured properly via the Options -> File Locations -> Audio -> Folder/Filename Rules, but downloaded files from Amazon or other sources probably DO need to go to this Incoming folder.

* Set up Auto-Import to monitor this location.  MC will automatically find and import any files that show up in that folder.

* Have a separate storage location for your "permanent media" (this is M:\Music\, M:\Images\, and M:\Video\ for me, but you can structure this as you'd like).

* As new files are imported, get them tagged and all set the way you want them in the Library.  Then use Rename, Move & Copy to move those files over to the "permanent media" locations as you'd like.  This way, you can have one set of "Filename rules" for Audio files, and another for TV Shows, and another for Movies.  Since you apply the rules manually, you can easily select files based on their tags and quickly move them where you want them to live permanently.  The tool remembers the last used entries, making it easy to have a pre-defined set of renaming rules.

* A useful tip for doing this is to make a new All Media Top level View that contains a File Location pane, a Media Type Pane, a Media Sub Type pane, and a few other panes to help you quickly sort the files into groups.  That way you can easily show all of the files in your library under M:\Incoming\, but subfilter that to show only Video files that are tagged as TV Shows.  Move them, then switch to Video files under M:\Incoming\ that are tagged as Movies.  Move them.  So on and so forth.

2. I didn't copy my entire library over yet so I'm entirely sure if this has any effect, but there are arrows with numbers next to them (1 names, 2 album, 3 album as well, 4 track number - 2 and 4 show up in file view, 1 and 3 in artist). I thought it had to do with organization order but it seems to organize regularly. What exactly do these arrows mean?

This is the sort order for the file listing.  MC supports "complex sorting".  You can change these by clicking on the list headers in the reverse order of how you want them to sort.  I don't actually like to do it that way, so I turn that feature off (you can disable it via Options -> Tree & View -> Sorting -> Save changes on list header clicks).  So, for example, if you wanted to sort your music files alphabetically by:

1. Artist
2. But then "inside" each artist sub-sorting by Album
3. inside each Album sub-sorting by Disc #
4. inside each disc by Track #
5. and then lastly if a bunch of Track numbers match, sub-sorting by Name

This is a common sorting pattern.  To achieve this, you would click the list headings in this order:

1. Name
2. Track #
3. Disc #
4. Album
5. Artist

Each time you click on a new heading, it "sorts" by that heading "primarily" but keeps the remainder of the sort order intact.  So, that's why you click on them in the REVERSE order of how you want them to end up.  You click on Artist LAST because you want that to be the "top level" sorting field.  This works okay if you just want to sort by 1-2 columns, but usually I find it is easiest to disable this feature, and to set up my sorting manually via the other mechanism.  You can also define sort order this way:

1. Select a View in the Tree.
2. Right click on it, and choose Customize View.
3. In the dialog that appears, click the Set rules for file display button.
4. In the dialog that appears, add a new Modifier in the lower "Modify Results" section.  Change this modifier type to "Sort By".
5. In the box to the right click Add and then choose the Tags you'd like to sort by one at a time (you can do both normal and reversed sort orders this way).
6. As you add these different tags to the list, you can drag them up and down to re-order them.
7. When you are done, click OK twice to exit the Customize View dialog and enjoy your results.

If you do it this way and disable the Save changes on List Header clicks option, you can still resort a list on-the-fly by clicking on a list header, but your changes will revert when you switch views.  This is actually nice because you can have a view with a complex sort pattern set up, and quickly switch it to sort by Filename or File Type or some other single-use item for just a minute, but then it is easy to get it back to the way it was by simply switching to a different view in the tree and then back again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:05 am »

3. Is there any way to share a JRiver library on other media players such as iTunes?

MC can share it's library with MANY devices and applications via the DNLA features under Tools -> Options -> Media Network.  You can also share your library with other copies of MC on the network (or, if you set your router up properly, even over the Internet).  See the Media Network forum here and the Wiki for further details.

However, this does not work with iTunes.  If you also want to share your library with iTunes, the easiest way is to use FireFly Media Server.  Firefly is a system service that runs when you boot up your computer.  Basically the way it works is that you point it at one or more folders that it will "watch" and any files in there it will import into the "iTunes Share" that it creates on the network.  So, if you follow my advice above, you'd just point Firefly to watch the M:\Music\ folder, and maybe the M:\Incoming\ folder too (so you get that new stuff that you haven't gotten to organize yet).  Like I said, it creates an iTunes share that you can connect to with other copies of iTunes just like you would if you were actually running iTunes itself!  You don't even need to have iTunes installed at all on the machine that is running the sharing system if you don't want to.

Firefly reads the tags saved to the files by MC, so the files will show up in connected copies of iTunes tagged properly (usually anyway, iTunes uses some dumb tagging conventions).  I've been using Firefly here at work for YEARS and it works great.  One other nice benefit of Firefly is that it does not have the 5-connected-user limit like iTunes does, so you don't have to worry about people not disconnecting from your share.

My "iTunes Library" on my network at the office is the largest and most popular of the shared libraries at my office, and I don't even have a copy of iTunes installed on my windows machine at all (which is where my media library lives).  Often people I meet at the office know about my music library long before they know who I am or who's library it is.

4. Also, is there any support for last.fm? I've searched awhile and can't find a straight answer. I see a page for a plugin which links to the J River last.fm page which has nothing there...

Yes.  Some of that information you found is old and outdated.  Last.fm support is now built-in.  No plugin is required.  Configure your account under Tools -> Options -> Services -> Last.fm.  I'm not a heavy Last.fm user, so I won't comment further, but I have tried it and scrobbling works great.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

slowdown5646

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:38:52 am »

Thanks for all the well-thought out answers, just about everything has been resolved! I'm loving how easy, nice looking, and fast this application is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up