INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: one more pitch for list tag tick boxes  (Read 2301 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
one more pitch for list tag tick boxes
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:16 pm »

I like the recent changes to list tag editing but I miss the tick boxes because we now require 3*n instead of 2*n actions to select n items. I think you could add back the tick boxes with no loss or change to any of the recent improvements, and we would retain the old efficiency.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: one more pitch for list tag tick boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:48:09 am »

We did make a change to this recently:
Changed: When editing a list-type field that uses 20 or fewer choices (either acceptable values, or used by library), all the values will be shown in the list with the checked items at the top.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »

I think we are talking about different things.

To add list tag item requires 3 actions: scroll to selection, click, enter.  If you added tick boxes back we would require 2 actions: scroll to selection, tick box. The difference is not a problem when adding a small number (1-2) of list items.  But becomes a significant drop in productivity when adding many (3+) items. Unfortunately much of my tagging falls into the latter case.

It appears to me you could add tick boxes back with no loss or change to any of the recent positive improvements made to list tag editing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:39 am »

Using a check-box drop list like the Smartlist editor uses for artist, album, etc. lists might be nice.

I think checks would have to go straight to the list and not show in the 'Add' box, which might make some people unhappy.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:46:27 am »

Thanks for listening Matt.

Not sure why a tick going straight to the list would make people unhappy. But assuming it does make people unhappy, could we not still use ticks with the 'Add' box?

For those that like it the way it is: Search or scroll to item, select it (but don't click tick box), press enter twice. This works exactly as today with no change.

For those who like tick boxes: Scroll to item, click tick box, scroll to next item, click tick box, scroll to next item, click tick box, etc., press enter twice.

With this approach we get the best of everything.

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

I also request a return of checkboxes (AKA tick boxes ;D) representing ALL values of the current field, as an alternative to the new/alternative methods. This is (was) a unique capability of MC that handles a range of needs not met by the other methods such as pane tagging or search/sublists.

Pane tagging is useful if there are just a few fields to tag. I use it for my photos, for instance. I set up 5 panes, for each of the photo library fields I regularly update: Album, Events, Keywords, People, Places. The 5 panes plus drag-drop, checkboxes, etc. make for fast visual tagging.

But for my music library I would need 31 PANES. (My monitor can't handle it, but could MC do this?) Instead, the method that works very well (used for years) is the Tag action window combined with a custom view and 3 view panes.

My music library has (at least) 31 fields per record to view and edit simultaneously. Usually there are 23 (stock and custom) editable fields to tag, and usually 8 read-only fields I need to see while tagging. Several fields are list-type, which display as multi-line, so it's quite a pile of data. Working with it efficiently was possible through .122, but not in later builds.

I tag this library by having a view designed just to drive the Tag window. The view has all the needed fields, with the columns arranged in the desired Tag window order. The Tag window is set to show all the fields in the view.

View columns are sized so I can see almost all the values (or enough for my task) while moving through the individual fields in the Tag window. This is important because what I put in some tags depends on what I see in other fields of the current and nearby records/rows (a judgment, not formula, so an expression won't help).

The Tag window is height-maximized in the left column, so it shows all 31 or so fields without scrolling -- very efficient to Tab through and update. Also, this provides max vertical space for list-type fields to display their master lists. (Which is why I also request that the lists revert to using the full available height to show values, not just show 25 or fewer as in recent builds.)

To navigate the 80-thousand record database while keeping the Tag window maximized (which covers the tree), the view has panes (usually 3) providing direct access to the fields and grouping levels that I need to navigate, such as Artists (grouping size 1) > Artists > Name (Artists is a custom list-type field).

To handle this situation, I hope Tag window tagging, especially of list fields, can be re-optimized regardless of what other methods MC might offer for other situations.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

scthom

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:03:02 pm »

I 2nd the motion. I also preferred the checkbox listing also for list fields.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 11:15:31 am »

I 2nd the motion. I also preferred the checkbox listing also for list fields.

Me too.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

+1

I really want this for my custom tags.  I just want the list of all available choices with checkboxes so I can quickly multi-select all applicable values.  Pressing Enter really hinders the workflow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up