INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-Sales Questions Prior to Buying Media Center!  (Read 8498 times)

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
Pre-Sales Questions Prior to Buying Media Center!
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:21:04 am »

At first glance of the forum I'm not sure if the Media Center product is for audiophiles only? I just want to play high quality music without taking a degree course. So having had a quick play with Media Center software, the usability looks very, very good - is this finally the end to my iTunes Stress, what about Pre-Sales and After-Sales Support? So Simple topic before I invest my hard earned cash and buy what looks like a very good product.

As a somewhat novice maybe other newbies and novices will get help with these basic Questions, so please chime in with any info or links to help articles.

*My main aim is to have just one main Media folder using the best audio and video format without any duplicates... to save space of course. I want to use this on iPhone or Android.

1. Currently i have iTunes on PC, organized by Artist > Album, its give me 3 years of hassle. I have approx 180GB of music and videos in this folder: Z Drive > Media > iTunes > (Music) (Video)

80% of the music files are MP3 and 20% M4A. I got tricked into converting my CD's into M4A by iTunes. Not sure which is the recommended format?

- Would you recommend keeping this iTunes folder and just hooking Media Center up to the media files within, enabling me to add any iTunes audiobooks in the future if i wish too. If so how do i get Media Center to connect to this Media folder seamlessly while adding the playlists i created in iTunes without them changing?

2. Would you recommend creating a new Media folder as an alternative to the iTunes folder and if so is there an easy way to consolidate in MC like within iTunes?

3. If i hook up MC to the iTunes folder and then change the Meta data within MC, will this change the original file Meta's in the iTunes folder?

4. Which format do you recommend using (based on quality and file size) when importing CD's: MP3, AAC, M4A, other? I imported a CD into MC and it was APE. Is this the default and can this play on iPhone or Android?

5. What kbps is recommended to rip from CD so when I burn them back to CD maintaining the CD quality? or does the KBPS not affect this?

6. I currently have an iPhone but am thinking of moving to Android. Can i play my M4A's or DRM iTunes Audiobooks on Android or do i need to convert them somehow and can your software do this conversion?

7. Is there a 'Locate Files' option to find missing files like in iTunes?

8. Is MC compatible with iPhone or would i have to switch to Android, which i don't mind doing btw?

9. How do you transfer music from MC to the iPhone or Android, is it as simple as drag and drop?

Any responses big or small are appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pre-Sales Questions Prior to Buying Media Center!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:45 am »

At first glance of the forum I'm not sure if the Media Center product is for audiophiles only?

No.  There are plenty of people here who would consider themselves as such, and MC is capable of fulfilling their needs, but it has many other use-cases as well.  I absolutely do not consider myself an audiophile.

If you spend a little time to get it set up properly, I can guarantee that MC will meet your needs much better than iTunes ever could.  Welcome!

1. Currently i have iTunes on PC, organized by Artist > Album, its give me 3 years of hassle. I have approx 180GB of music and videos in this folder: Z Drive > Media > iTunes > (Music) (Video)

80% of the music files are MP3 and 20% M4A. I got tricked into converting my CD's into M4A by iTunes. Not sure which is the recommended format?

- Would you recommend keeping this iTunes folder and just hooking Media Center up to the media files within, enabling me to add any iTunes audiobooks in the future if i wish too. If so how do i get Media Center to connect to this Media folder seamlessly while adding the playlists i created in iTunes without them changing?

2. Would you recommend creating a new Media folder as an alternative to the iTunes folder and if so is there an easy way to consolidate in MC like within iTunes?

These two things are related, so I figured I'd address them together.  Yes, I would probably import your files where they are now.  This is easy in MC, simply go to the Tools menu and choose Import, then walk through the wizard.  You can either simply scan the folder one time, or you can set it up as an auto-import folder (where MC will "watch" the folder and automatically detect and import any new files).

MC doesn't itself particularly care where the files are stored.  They can be in one place on one drive, or spread across multiple drives, including network locations.  It doesn't matter.  It will manage them all and can be used to reorganize the files on disk if you choose.

Once you get everything imported and set up the way you like it in MC, and you are ready to abandon iTunes, you can use the tools built into MC to consolidate your media files elsewhere to some place and folder structure of your choosing.  MC has a very powerful file organization feature under Right-Click -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, and Copy Files.

MC can handle pretty much any media format you throw at it, so no need to worry about those M4A files, so long as they aren't DRM-laden.  There is no one "recommended format".  That answer depends on your needs.

3. If i hook up MC to the iTunes folder and then change the Meta data within MC, will this change the original file Meta's in the iTunes folder?

It depends how you do it.  MC will change the "tags" in the file (the bits of the file that contain the metadata).  iTunes may or may not re-read these changes though.  I only use iTunes to sync to my phone, so I can't really speak to its capabilities.

4. Which format do you recommend using (based on quality and file size) when importing CD's: MP3, AAC, M4A, other? I imported a CD into MC and it was APE. Is this the default and can this play on iPhone or Android?

APE is a lossless format, similar to FLAC, which was designed by one of the main software engineers behind MC.  It is the default, but this can be changed under the Options panel to just about any format you want.

If you want to keep it simple, but high-quality, I would use the MP3 Encoder in VBR mode with the Target Quality set to either High or Extreme.  This should meet your needs in most cases.

However, it doesn't really matter which format the files themselves are in on disk.  MC will automatically convert them on the fly when you sync over to your handheld device.  When you set up a handheld, you can specify the file formats it is able to play.  If you sync over a file type that it doesn't support, MC will automatically convert it as part of the sync process.  This opens up your choices a bit.  Another option would be to rip your new files in FLAC or APE (a lossless format which is bit-for-bit identical to the original data on the CD, but compressed to save space), and then set up MC to convert on sync.  It can even keep a "conversion cache" of the converted files so that it only has to do this once per file.  However, you don't HAVE TO cache the conversions if you don't want these extra duplicates taking up additional space on disk (they won't show separately in the library, MC manages this part).  You can just have it convert-on-the-fly and then those converted versions are only copied over to your device and not kept elsewhere.

For example, my setup works like this:

1. Most new music I acquire comes from Amazon's MP3 Store, which sells high-quality MP3 files.
2. Most of my "older" library is MP3 in a variety of bitrates.  I'm slowly replacing my old 128kbps MP3 files as I have time.
3. If I rip a new CD, I choose either FLAC or MP3 set to VBR High, depending on how much I "care" about the quality of the music.  Aphex Twin, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd get FLAC, the latest pop crap from Lady Gaga that my wife wants gets MP3.
4. My "handheld" (which is, in this case, a folder on my C drive - I import those files into iTunes and it contains ONLY those) is set to Convert Unsupported Formats and High Bitrates and uses the MP3 encoder set to VBR High Quality Portable.  This provides enough quality that you can't tell the difference when you are playing the files back from my phone, but saves some space and allows me to fit more on my device.
5. These converted files are "cached" and stored in a "stack" with my existing files.  That means that the original source file essentially has a "related" file that is connected to it.  It works and acts in MC like one single file (you only have to apply metadata to it once and only see it once in the library in most cases), but MC actually tracks and works with both files on disk.

You will get the best compatibility and sync support using an Android phone.  Apple's iOS devices are locked-down and cannot be supported directly by MC.  There are some workarounds (I personally use an iPhone), but it isn't a "tier one" experience.

5. What kbps is recommended to rip from CD so when I burn them back to CD maintaining the CD quality? or does the KBPS not affect this?

If you really want to maintain the full CD quality, then you have to use a lossless format like APE or FLAC.  The bitrate is not relevant for these file types, because they are PERFECT copies.  If you want to use MP3 for compatibility reasons or to save space, then VBR set to High or Extreme should be "transparent" (meaning that the human ear can't discern the difference between the original and the compressed format) for most sources.

6. I currently have an iPhone but am thinking of moving to Android. Can i play my M4A's or DRM iTunes Audiobooks on Android or do i need to convert them somehow and can your software do this conversion?

I believe Android can handle M4A files, but if not, MC will convert them on the fly.  Like I explained above, any file that your handheld does not support, MC can convert on the fly as you sync.  For DRM though, you could run into trouble.  MC generally cannot convert files that have DRM applied (it can often play them, but not convert them).  Audiobooks purchased at iTunes will not work if they contain DRM.  The only way to remove DRM from the files is to use the burn/re-rip trick in iTunes (or some variant of the same).

I believe that Audible now supports Android, but you'd have to check with them to be sure.

7. Is there a 'Locate Files' option to find missing files like in iTunes?

I'm not familiar with that feature.  However, MC has quite powerful organizational tools.  You can certainly locate files on disk.  However, MC can also automatically monitor folders and import files for you (and remove missing files from the library, if you choose).  It has a powerful expression "language" that you can use to search for pretty much anything you can imagine (and some real wizards here who can figure out how if you need help).

It is generally best if you do your file maintenance and organization from within MC, so that it doesn't "lose" the files.  There are some work-flow implications of this, but generally, the tools MC provides will be faster and more powerful than doing anything directly in Windows Explorer.

8. Is MC compatible with iPhone or would i have to switch to Android, which i don't mind doing btw?

9. How do you transfer music from MC to the iPhone or Android, is it as simple as drag and drop?

MC does not directly support any iOS devices or newer iPods, but it is possible to set up with few quirks.  As I mentioned, you will have a better and more seamless experience with Android.

I will comment more directly on this in a few minutes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:16:33 am »

Glynor, thanks for your reply even though this isn't my question.  A lot of good stuff in there.  I agree with the MP3 VBR High/Extreme settings and the FLAC stuff for more important stuff too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:47 am »

MC uses a "sync" paradigm, much like iTunes.  Basically you connect your device and it will show up in MC under Drives & Devices.  Then you can choose files you want to sync to the handheld.  When you press the "sync" button, it will copy those files over to the device, applying any conversion settings you've enabled in the process.  You can set the handheld device up to automatically load from playlists (of both the manual/static variety and the smart/automatic variety).

For my devices, I have a set of complex "smart playlists" that do things like this for my handheld.  I'm going to describe some of these here.  I've also included the import/export code for the Smartlist creator tool.  You do NOT have to create these rules using this complex expression "language".  There is a simple wizard that lets you create your rules using a "filter" and "rule" system.  However, you can use the "code" I've provided to import the rules into your own Smartlists, if you choose.

1. Recent Top Hits: creates a list of my top 150 most commonly played files, but only includes them in the list if they've been played at least once in the last 24 weeks.
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[audio] [Last Played]=<24w ~sort=[Number Plays]-d ~n=150
2. 200 Recent Imports: creates a list of the last 200 most recently imported audio files, excluding Audiobooks, multi-channel files, and files I manually set to 1 star rating.
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Media Sub Type]=[Audiobook] [Channels]=<=2 -[Rating]=1 ~sort=[Date Imported]-d ~n=200
3. 600 Favorites: creates a list of 600 files, randomly selected from a "pool" of all of the files I've rated 4 or 5 stars, then sorts that list nicely so that it isn't all mixed up in the list.
[Rating]=>=4 [Media Type]=[audio] [Channels]=<=2 ~sort=Random ~n=600 ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Track #],[Name]
4. My Manual iPhone list: A simple manual playlist.  This allows me to easily add files that I want to make sure end up on my phone manually.  If I want to delete them from the phone, I simply remove them from this playlist and then re-sync my device.

5. My Photos List: Just to show that you do NOT have to use these features just for music... This list includes the photos I've imported into my library within the last 16 weeks.  It has a few filters to exclude specialty images that I don't want included on my phone.
[Media Type]=[Image] -[Genre]=[Media Art],[Wallpaper],[Graphics],[Unsorted],[Icons] -[Filename]="M:\Users" [Date]=<16w [Filename]="M:\Images\" ~sort=[Date]-d
6. My iPhone "Mixer" List: This is a very complex list.  It first filters my entire library to exclude certain types of files that I don't want included in the "mix".  Things like Audiobooks, low rated files, files on removable disc, and similar things are excluded.  Then, it uses what is called a "mix" rule.  It limits itself to a certain number of tracks (1800 in my case) and picks from the library randomly but in certain, specified proportions to each other.  So, my list contains 6% files with the Genre "Alternative", and 10% "Americana", and 15% "Indie" among other categories.  These types of lists are a bit more complex to set up, but it shows the power that MC has in it's smartlist scheme.
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[File Type]=[cda] [Removable]=0 -[Keywords]=[noipod] -[Rating]=1 [Channels]=<=2 ~mix=1800,6%,{[Genre]=[Alternative]},10%,{[Genre]=[Americana]},6%,{[Genre]=[Classic Rock]},10%,{[Genre]=[Electronic]},3%,{[Genre]=[Folk]},15%,{[Genre]=[Indie]},4%,{[Genre]=[Jazz]},6%,{[Genre]=[Pop]},8%,{[Genre]=[Progressive]},10%,{[Genre]=[Psychedelic Rock]},4%,{[Genre]=[Punk]},6%,{[Genre]=[Reggae]},3%,{[Genre]=[Rock]},3%,{[Genre]=[Trance]},6%,{[Genre]=[Urban]} ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Name]
So, I have all of these playlists in MC in a folder called iPhone Lists.  Then, under Drives and Devices I've set up a "handheld" in MC.  Since MC does not (and cannot) directly support my iPhone, what I do is have a special folder on my C drive that works like a handheld in MC (you can do this).  I've set up my "handheld" to automatically use these 6 lists (and a few others).  Since many of these lists are randomly generated, the sync list changes each time I open it up.  When I click "sync" it goes through the folder and deletes anything that should no longer be there, and adds any new files that should be added.

Then, outside of MC, I use a program called iTLU (iTunes Library Updater) to scan this folder. It goes through this folder and adds the files it finds to iTunes (it also removes any missing files that have been deleted).  The ONLY files I keep in iTunes are those that I'm going to sync to my phone.  This makes it easy to deal with iTunes, because I just have it sync EVERYTHING over to my phone, instead of manually choosing things one-by-one.  My lists above are constructed to be of an appropriate size to not exceed the storage space on my phone.  Anything that MC puts in that folder when I "sync" to it, goes into iTunes, anything in iTunes goes to my phone.  Since the contents of that "handheld" folder are all essentially lower-quality duplicates of things in my "real" MC library, they can be deleted next time I sync and it doesn't matter.

That's one way to support an iPhone.  Another is to set up a full-library bi-directional sync.  There is a plugin available for MC that does this for you.  Instead of setting up a handheld directly in MC, you set this plugin up to automatically sync your actual full library over to iTunes (and back again).  This will essentially keep iTunes and MC "linked".  The benefit of the bi-directional approach is that you can use your phone to rate files and these ratings will end up syncing back to MC.  It will also preserve things like play counts including your iPhone stats.  The downside of this approach is that you have to continue using iTunes to select the music and video you want sent over to your actual phone, with all of the trouble and limitations that entails.  However, this may not be a problem depending on the size of your library and the complexity of what you want to accomplish.

My total library is around 4TB in size, including video, and well over 500GB if you only include audio, so that isn't a workable system for me.  If I try to import my full library into iTunes, it breaks iTunes.  It is just way too big.

If you decide to switch to an Android phone, the situation is somewhat simpler.  Instead of syncing to the folder and then using iTunes on that folder, you can simply sync directly to your Android device through MC.  Plug it in (or plug in the SD card if it uses one), and it will show up in the Drives and Devices part of MC.  Set it up once, pick your playlists (or the files directly), and then sync.  It will copy the files over to the Flash of the phone/SD card and you eject it and you are good to go.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:09:33 am »

I should note... With the sync system, you do not have to use complex playlists like I did.  You can also easily drag-drop files directly from any view in MC onto the "Device" in the "tree" on the left side of MC.  This will sync these files to the device (when you click the sync button).  If you click the Sync Handheld button in the "Action Window" on the left, it will also give you a drag-drop target (a "drop files here" box) that you can use from anywhere in your MC library.

Assuming you are syncing directly to a device, this sync tool will also show you how much room you have left and all of that.  So, if you prefer to do it manually, you can do it that way as well.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:32:19 am »

The downside of this approach is that you have to continue using iTunes to select the music and video you want sent over to your actual phone, with all of the trouble and limitations that entails.

While undoubtedly there is a downside somewhere, I don't think that's one of them. You can quite easily set up MCiS to sync one or several playlists that are automatically sync'd to your device, while barely touching the iTunes interface. MCiS will even send the sync command to iTunes - all you have to do is press the close button to get rid of iTunes once it's finished. Anyway, sorry to hijack ...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:28 pm »

While undoubtedly there is a downside somewhere, I don't think that's one of them. You can quite easily set up MCiS to sync one or several playlists that are automatically sync'd to your device, while barely touching the iTunes interface. MCiS will even send the sync command to iTunes - all you have to do is press the close button to get rid of iTunes once it's finished. Anyway, sorry to hijack ...

Prod, thanks for chiming in!  I should really look into MCiS again.  The last time I checked it out, it just seemed "focused" on importing your full library into iTunes and keeping them synced, which is my main issue with it.  I cannot import my full 4TB library into iTunes.  It usually won't even manage to open, and if you can get it to open, the performance is so terrible that it isn't worth bothering.  iTunes seems to do okay with medium-to-large-ish music libraries (not wonderful, but it is tolerable), but if you import more than a handful of video files into it, all bets are off.

Also, my iTunes library is on my laptop, which often CANNOT connect to the network shares where my main content lives.  My sync method copies only a selected "section" of my full media library over to my laptop (and actually converts the high-bitrates of these to much more manageable sized files).  Obviously, I can't copy the full 4TB library onto my laptop, and I can't always access those files when I need to use iTunes (which often happens "on the road" or in my office at work or other places).  I sync my phone with iTunes 4-5 times per week, to update podcasts and applications.  I don't update the music files on my laptop more than once every month or so.

Plus, how is conversion handled?  Most of that 4TB of content is obviously video content, but I also have lots of FLAC files and a smattering of other non-iTunes compatible files.  I heavily use MC's built in video conversion system to sync selected files to my phone.  Can MCiS handle all of this seamlessly like MC's regular handheld system can?

Sorry for the simple questions... The MCiS thread over there is SO VERY long, and I really just don't have time to sort through it all and figure out what is what.  I'd love to move on from my current system, because it is clunky and slow!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:14:17 pm »

I guess thinking back I did design it with the full library sync in mind, though as I added options here, there and everywhere, it became very flexible - though at the cost maybe of being a little bit of a hassle to get your desired settings.

First off, you can specify an MC view or playlist to limit the sync to... so in that respect it's very easy to limit MCiS to a dark corner of your library. MCiS does no conversion itself, it assumes you've already done that and it's in the MC playlist ready to go. I imagine you'd do your sync to handheld and then point MCiS at the playlist of converted files you just created. Then have MCiS import anything in the playlist not already in iTunes, and remove anything in iTunes that's not in the playlist.

However, to access both MC and iTunes SDK's at the same time, the sync has to be run on a machine with both MC and iTunes installed. That last issue may be the most problematic here - from the sound of your process, you're using two machines for your sync, with MC on one and iTunes on the other.

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:18 am »

Hi All and thanks for the very detailed responses Glynor, really appreciate the time taken to reply. I've been working on ecommerce projects for xmas so haven't yet upgraded my free trial to paid. I'm ready to move from iTunes now xmas is done and i'll have a few more reads through your replies and the forum to get a structure for my audios and videos.

Can I ask you Glynor where do you store 4Tb of audio and video. I currently store everything on 1Tb external HD but soon I'll need more space. Just wondering how you hold this.

Also what formats for video do you use. I have a plethora of Intern Marketing and business DVD's I intend to save to HD, how would you go about this?

Thanks
Ian

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »

Ian:

Glynor will steer you straight on everything. 

I am one of those who considers himself as an audiophile.  Media Center is great for my purposes.  The database is incredible and very fast.  I have over 25,000 audio tracks (600 GB) and 1.3 TB of movies.  The way I solved the storage problem is low tech.  I have an Icy Dock (trayless) drive in my PC and a 1TB internal hard drive.  I bought several additional 1TB hard drives where I store a backup of my music and I have a primary and a backup for each of my movie drives.  Drives are cheap and the time investment to rip and store your music or movies is significant.

Format:  you can use any format you choose with MC.  I use Flac.  I have also used APE which is faster and more efficient than Flac but Flac has a slight edge (for me) because there are more and more players that will play flac files.  The greatest advantage to lossless is you can recreate your CDs bit perfect.  MC will convert to MP3 or any other chosen format on the fly.  It is the perfect tool to maintain the integrity of your music will giving you compatibility with all your other devices.

Tunetyme   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 10:40:45 am »

Can I ask you Glynor where do you store 4Tb of audio and video. I currently store everything on 1Tb external HD but soon I'll need more space. Just wondering how you hold this.

I built myself a RAID box using a case from Addonics and a bunch of 1TB WD Caviar Black hard drives.  That 3TB RAID 5 volume covers most of the long-term storage, but I also have:

• 2 1.5 TB drives (in a RAID-1 config) that are used for DVR recording (SageTV does the recording, but I often watch the files using MC, and they are auto-imported into the MC library)
  • 3 separate drives that are used for archival purposes when needed.  These are used much like "floppy disks" using one of these (I also have one of these for my server machine).

I describe my disk setup and archive system in more detail here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61003.msg411222#msg411222

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

Thanks for the info guys.

What software / method do or would you use to back up DVDs?

Cheers
Ian

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:42:34 pm »

I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for most of the DVD.  I primarily use DVD Shrink as that allows me the ability to shrink a movie to fit a 4.7GB disk for backup.  These are freeware.  DVD Fab is a great product for some of the more sophisticated  encryption.  I found one disk that that doesn't decrypt.  Older DVD's can be handeled by DVD Shrink.  The newer ones you need to try different software until you find one that works for you.

I'm not the expert on this topic there are many others that will be able to give you more help.

Tunetyme

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »

I use DVD Fab.  Their HD decrypter works quite well for BluRay content as well.

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll grab your recommendations and give them a whirl.

Ian

tachyonv

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »

My primary CD player need is for a player that measures and displays total time for each album. Not (just) for individual tracks, but total play time for each albume. Cannot find this feature and without it, Media Center is of little to no use to me.

So, does Media Center provide this album level info? Cannot find it anywhere, if it does.

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »

My primary CD player need is for a player that measures and displays total time for each album.

MC will do so in a number of different ways. In a Panes View using the "Album Thumbnails" list style, the album duration is shown in the caption and in a pop-up (that also displays a track listing) on mouse-over. Using a "Details" list style, you can still select an album and see it's duration in the status bar. In a Category View using the "Details" list style, total duration can be displayed for any selected category—album, artist, style, year, genre—whatever. MC is somewhat more advanced than a "CD player." ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »

My primary CD player need is for a player that measures and displays total time for each album. Not (just) for individual tracks, but total play time for each albume. Cannot find this feature and without it, Media Center is of little to no use to me.

So, does Media Center provide this album level info? Cannot find it anywhere, if it does.

That's an odd need, but yes...

Select your CD (so navigate using the tree to Drives and Devices and then select your optical drive), and then select all of the files.  The total runtime of anything you have selected is shown in the lower status bar of the application.

There are other ways too, but that's a start.

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:16 pm »

That's an odd need, but yes...

Oops. I suppose the question was about playing CD's. :-[ 
It didn't occur to me people still do that! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up