INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: Active zone on Web Remote based on IP address  (Read 2257 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Suggestion: Active zone on Web Remote based on IP address
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:10:45 am »

In my house I have 10 zones, and most of those zones has their own control. I've been using NetRemote up to now, but that will not (as far as I know) be ported to Android, which is a shame. But the first tablet based on Android will arrive here next week (or maybe not, I forgot about Turkey Day, so it may be a week delayed because of some men in strange hats shooting birds in the forest some time ago) and I'm pretty sure there will be more of those coming. So I would like it if they could get directly to theyr assigned zones, like when my son connects to Web Remote from his Nook Color, which I will (like I do with all computers on the network) give a set IP addres on my in house DHCP server.

I have 2-19 reserved for desktops, 20-29 reserved for laptops (yes, I do have more computers than I need...) and 90-99 for cell phones, so I will give the tablets 30-39.

So when 192.168.0.30 connects, it will be started in the Mastiff Junior zone, when 192.168.0.31 connects it will be to the Master Bedroom zone (I'm waiting for the NotionInk Adam for myself), and when 192.168.0.32 connects it will be to the little miss Mastiff zone. I'm guessing that pretty soon basic Android tablets will be so cheap that I can have one in each room where I have a zone, like a touchscreen panel on the wall. So is this already achieveable with some clever HTML coding that I have no idea how to do, or can it be implemented in the server itself?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

)p(

Re: Suggestion: Active zone on Web Remote based on IP address
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:06 am »

Another solution could be to use the devices mac address. That will also work with dynamic ip's. Its the way squeezeserver differentiates between squeezeboxes and has always just worked.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:34:19 am »

Yep, you're right. That is another solution, and I guess it's better than mine, really. Another idea: Maybe we could even have one zone that any unknown MAC/IP goes to? In my case that would of course be the guest room.

Edit: Come to think of it, I would like to have the option to lock the unit to the zone (but still be able to let some units be unlocked). With NetRemote I have had Mastiff Junior sending Rage Against the Machine to little miss Mastiff's zone to pi... her off, and that would be nice to avoid. A NetRemote war with RAtM and Hanna Montana as the main weapons does not sound good, I can tell you!  >:(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:13:15 am »

On Android, use Gizmo.  

Gizmo is JRiver's Android application designed for remote controlling Media Center.  It can also play on the Android itself.

Each device will remember the zone it used last.

We're actively developing Gizmo, so feedback is welcome.  Look on the Media Network board for more information.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:14:56 am »

Thanks, I've read about the Gizmo. But the problem is that the Nook Color is locked, so you can't install third party apps on it. Which only leaves the webreader.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:21:21 am »

WebRemote is not designed to target a discrete zone.  It only controls the active zone.  It can change the active zone in Playing Now.

If you could find a way to run Gizmo, I think you would be happier.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:23:10 am »

OK, thanks! I'll have to wait and see if they manage to root that Nook, then.

yoyoc

• World Citizen
Nook color has been rooted...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:22:55 pm »

... Gizmodo reports today.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »

Yeah, I know. I've been following the work on XDA Developers all week! :) I'm getting my son's Nook tomorrow. Unfortunately there is a problem: I need the installation file for Gizmo, since only Google approved units gets into the market, as far as I know. I tried to ask for it in the Network forum, but didn't get an answer at all. Does anybody here have an APK to spare? ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:04:56 pm »

Yeah, I know. I've been following the work on XDA Developers all week! :) I'm getting my son's Nook tomorrow. Unfortunately there is a problem: I need the installation file for Gizmo, since only Google approved units gets into the market, as far as I know. I tried to ask for it in the Network forum, but didn't get an answer at all. Does anybody here have an APK to spare? ;)

I would think we could upload it somewhere public.

I'll follow-up tomorrow.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:09:10 am »

Sounds great, thanks! For my part I've already gotten it in an E-mail, but having it available somewhere on the site (perhaps as the first thread/post in the Network forum) would seem like a smart move to me since there are a bunch of rooted/non standard Android things out there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »

A download link for Gizmo was added to the bottom of this page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo

When possible, please use the market since it helps our download count and automates updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up