INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Library - Audio Conversion not working?  (Read 1947 times)

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
Sync Library - Audio Conversion not working?
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:29 am »

I have my main music library on my Core i3 Notebook.  I would like to be able to sync my library across to my netbook as well. However, my netbook is limited to a 16GB SSD (while my music library is over 30GB).  I just bought a 32GB SD card to sync my music onto as a sort of permanent "media drive" for the netbook.

I realize that 32GB of workspace isn't going to be enough to transfer over my library at it's full quality, so I was hoping to setup a Library Sync with music being transcoded to "HQ Portable" mp3s upon sync.

So here is the problem.  I've set all the options, and I've set the audio conversion to 'always convert audio' with an 'HQ portable' setting.  When I hit okay, the Library Sync starts copying files across the network, but it doesn't seem to be transcoding them upon transfer.  Is this a bug, or is it supposed to work this way?

I'm using 15.0.172.  I've tried doing a handheld sync across the network, howver, MC15 doesn't seem to remember the last sync, and wants to resync everything each time (and creates duplicates instead of replacing files).  Any advice people?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Sync Library - Audio Conversion not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »

So here is the problem.  I've set all the options, and I've set the audio conversion to 'always convert audio' with an 'HQ portable' setting.  When I hit okay, the Library Sync starts copying files across the network, but it doesn't seem to be transcoding them upon transfer.  Is this a bug, or is it supposed to work this way?

Could you please post exact step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem?

I wonder if you have stumbled on a technical limitation if you are using a Library Server client for converting files to a Handheld (I mean the the Handheld feature in MC).

The served files are provided as HTTP streams. The local converter may require access to the complete source file which isn't available when the conversion process should begin.

I'm using 15.0.172.  I've tried doing a handheld sync across the network, howver, MC15 doesn't seem to remember the last sync, and wants to resync everything each time (and creates duplicates instead of replacing files).  Any advice people?

The actual HTTP address that is used during streaming is different from the filename that is listed in the Filename field. Perhaps the "Handheld logic" cannot handle such a situation.

I have used a local library that has direct access to the media files (through network shares) for syncing Handhelds on a remote PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Sure. 
1. start MC15.0.172 on server computer (my core i3 notebook), enable Library Server w/access key and authentication.
2. start MC15.0.172 on client computer  (my atom netbook), go to file->library->Sync Library.
3. Search for computer location... it finds "m01p://192.168.1.102:52199"
4. set options below
     Actions --> merge files, merge playlists
     File Locations --> Audio: D:\Music\[Artist]  (D: represents my SD Card, no other locations checked)
     Audio Convertion --> Always convert audio -- MP3 encoder -- VBR encoding (HQ Portable)
5. Hit "OK".  Library Sync starts in action window.  I test one of the copied files on netbook SD card, and it is still a 320kbs mp3, not HQ Portable VBR.

The SD card isn't functioning as a Handheld device in my client computer.  I'm treating it as a secondary hard drive.  If I change the Audio Location to "C:\Music\[Artist]", the same thing happens, the files aren't converted on sync.  If files aren't meant to be transcoded, what is the option to transcode doing in the Library Sync menu?

sheltem

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

I have the same problem, except I am trying to sync some music from my Library Server to an Android phone.  Specifically my flac files are not converting; it copies the flac files without any conversion and strangely the song remain in queue. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up