INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tip: Ending a remote desktop connection...  (Read 3205 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tip: Ending a remote desktop connection...
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:33 am »

For some unknown reason, PCAnywhere, which performs flawlessly between family connections at opposite ends of the country, keeps crashing when used over my LAN.

So, I started using windows built-in Remote Desktop Connection, which works really well. The only thing irritating me about it was that when terminating the session, it left the HTPC at the windows login screen, so I went in search of a solution...

This little nugget works a treat on Windows Seven: http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows/how-to-restore-a-media-center-session-after-using-remote-desktop/

Code: [Select]
%windir%\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#0 /dest:console
Create the shortcut, then pin it to the start menu, start theatre view, press the windows key and hit the shortcut.... Excellent.

-marko
* marko has just listened to Chris Evans playing Postively 4th Street on Radio 2 - Also excellent!! :)

dcwebman

Re: Tip: Ending a remote desktop connection...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

Thanks for the tip. The free version of Logmein works pretty well too.
Jeff

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Tip: Ending a remote desktop connection...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »

Hmmm, not working for me.

I use Remote Desktop Connection via my Mac, connecting to Win 7 Prof x64.  The shortcut doesn't disconnect RDC on the Mac, nor restore the console login.  The session number is correct (same as shown in the article).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up