INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oppo BDP-93 as a DLNA renderer  (Read 19992 times)

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Oppo BDP-93 as a DLNA renderer
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:51 pm »

Just curious if anyone is successfully using the Oppo BDP-93 as a DLNA renderer?
Does it show up as a "zone" to be played to, etc.

petacat

Re: Oppo BDP-93 as a DLNA renderer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »

The 95 certainly does not show up as a DLNA renderer. It uses the same firmware related to the DLNA.

Great pity really. The Oppo would be a brilliant renderer/endpoint for all media that matters (to me).

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:23 am »

Any chance they'll update the firmware??

petacat

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:23:31 am »

I can only hope they do. It would make a great end point/Renderer with really good sound quality. Playback from the Oppo interface plays with gaps ... not good for live music and classical (or Dark Side of the Moon for that matter).

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »

I am confused, or misunderstand.

OPPO claims they are DNLA compliant.... plus they add the ability to decode flac files so that you don't have to convert to lpcm?

Is it hit or miss that a box will show up as a DLNA renderer?

Is it the case that you always need to fix the firm ware on the box... not the software of the DLNA server?

You would think that boxes should be able to live on the network and decode Flac files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »

I am confused, or misunderstand.

OPPO claims they are DNLA compliant.... plus they add the ability to decode flac files so that you don't have to convert to lpcm?

Is it hit or miss that a box will show up as a DLNA renderer?

Is it the case that you always need to fix the firm ware on the box... not the software of the DLNA server?

You would think that boxes should be able to live on the network and decode Flac files.
There are multiple levels of DLNA compliance. The simplest which the Oppo implements is DMP (player). This means you can browse on the Oppo to music served by a DMS (server). The Oppo doesn't implement DMR, which means you cannot push content to it from MC (or any other DMC (controller)).
There are lots and lots of DMP's that don't implement DMR (the PS3 is one notable example).

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:05:32 am »

final update

Any chance they'll update the firmware??

I asked on the oppo forum. at AVS... rdgrimes who seems to be Knowledgeable about all things oppo... said.

NO.  No plans, no intentions, no implied promises. It is what it is...
Moreover,   It's a crap interface and in the distant future... they might work out a different network streaming solution.... no promises... not a high priority.

Another thread on AVS 2 channel forum generated a bit more communication on the history of the DLNA interface and the take home message was...
get a USB DAC of the performance level you want.

battlescarze

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »

There are multiple levels of DLNA compliance. The simplest which the Oppo implements is DMP (player). This means you can browse on the Oppo to music served by a DMS (server). The Oppo doesn't implement DMR, which means you cannot push content to it from MC (or any other DMC (controller)).
There are lots and lots of DMP's that don't implement DMR (the PS3 is one notable example).

Can someone provide a bottom line answer in plain english? Does the OPPO-BDP-93 work with JRiver MC18 or not? If yes, what are the proper settings for playing MKV, TS, AVI files in 1080i/p and 5.1 audio?
Thanks!

lc0

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:19 pm »

Oppo BDP-93 can't be DMR (Digital Media Renderer), but BDP-103 can.

[Edit by JimH -- please see the wiki topic on DLNA for descriptions of DLNA parts.]

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »

Well, that Oppo might not but the 105 does (and works).  However, MC17 recognizes its existence only sporadically.  Any ideas about that.

Kal
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

gmeardi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »

>  However, MC17 recognizes its existence only sporadically.  Any ideas about that.

Well, with MC18 and the Oppo 105... it works, but I've to close and reopen the MC Server after having switched on the Oppo.  And then I've to kill and reopen JRiver Remote on iPad/iPhone.
Strangely MC doesn't poll (look for) the Oppo Renderer after the init procedure.

JRiver, what do you say about that?

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:06 am »

Hi
JRiver 18 can definitely recognise an OPPO BDP-103 but not consistently in my system - specifically when any other user is logged onto the home network the OPPO connection is dropped. This is not an OPPO problem - I get exactly the same problem with a Chord DSX1000 renderer. The only way around this problem I have found is to install BubbleSoftApp as a media server. In other words I have paid 50 bucks for a glorified library. I had the same problem with Whitebear and JRiver recommended using Powerline adapters - which I did to no effect.
Keith

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 12:28:38 pm »

Hi
JRiver 18 can definitely recognise an OPPO BDP-103 but not consistently in my system - specifically when any other user is logged onto the home network the OPPO connection is dropped. This is not an OPPO problem - I get exactly the same problem with a Chord DSX1000 renderer. The only way around this problem I have found is to install BubbleSoftApp as a media server. In other words I have paid 50 bucks for a glorified library. I had the same problem with Whitebear and JRiver recommended using Powerline adapters - which I did to no effect.
Keith

Sounds like what I ran into; Zonealarm was blocking firewall ports. I replaced it with another solution, and no more issues.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80955.0

davide256

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »

:) I've just started using the BDP-103  as a DLNA renderer and I'm liking it much more than when I was using a second PC as the renderer. Natural, no edginess. What a surprise since I found the BDP-103 SACD playback a snooze compared to computer audio. I run my media server direct Ethernet connected to the Oppo, it is a bit slow (2~3 minutes) for the Oppo to pop up in in JRiver's player menu to choose. Definitely use the audiophile 24 bit dac DLNA server option and no other if you have an external DAC connected as I do to the Oppo coax out. I made the mistake of leaving one of the other DLNA server types enabled and got MP3 level playback for a moment until I realized what was happening and removed it from the list

musicmax

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »

:) I've just started using the BDP-103  as a DLNA renderer and I'm liking it much more than when I was using a second PC as the renderer. Natural, no edginess. What a surprise since I found the BDP-103 SACD playback a snooze compared to computer audio. I run my media server direct Ethernet connected to the Oppo, it is a bit slow (2~3 minutes) for the Oppo to pop up in in JRiver's player menu to choose. Definitely use the audiophile 24 bit dac DLNA server option and no other if you have an external DAC connected as I do to the Oppo coax out. I made the mistake of leaving one of the other DLNA server types enabled and got MP3 level playback for a moment until I realized what was happening and removed it from the list

But no gapless, right?

Denti

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 04:44:55 pm »

But no gapless, right?

I'd like to know, too.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:07 am »

But no gapless, right?

As the previous poster already said, the BDP-103 is actually a pretty accomplished UPnP / DLNA Renderer. In particular for its support of high quality audio formats.

However it does not support the SetNextAvTransportUri method, and so it does not support gapless playback.

Another weakness is that it seems not to be able to display album art for the now playing track. (Or to be specific, when using MC 18 as the server, and Gizmo as the control point, it does not show album art. Nor does it do so when using MC 18 as the server, and Bubble UPnP (on Android) as the control point.)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:09:49 am »

So....Full functionality is available through the USB  Dac inputs.   Of course the limitation is that the MC PC must be within a USB cable range to the  Oppp 103.
(I never understood why Oppo did not implement a full DNLA interface....)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 01:13:15 pm »

So....Full functionality is available through the USB  Dac inputs.

I never understood why Oppo did not implement a full DNLA interface....

I talked to the people at Oppo, and it seems that the BDP-10x only supports track metadata and album art when it is embedded in ID3 tags in the music file itself.

This means that metadata and art will be displayed when playing files under the following circumstances:

• Files which contain an ID3 tag played via SMB off a local USB HDD.
  • Files which contain an ID3 tag played via the MC UPnP server, when the file is served in native non transcoded format.
  • Files played via the MC UPnP server, when MC is converting from native format to MP3. Since MC helpfully inserts an ID3 tag in transcoded MP3s.

To be very specific: metadata and art will not be displayed when playing files under the following circumstances:

• Files which do not contain an ID3 tag played via SMB off a local USB HDD. e.g. WAV, AIF, M4A
  • Files which do not contain an ID3 tag played via the MC UPnP server, when the file is served in native non transcoded format.
  • Files played via the MC UPnP server, where MC is transcoding from native format to L16. Because it is not allowed to insert ID3 tags in L16.

Interestingly having tested the Oppo with the Device Spy tool, it appears that when MC pushes a music track to the player (via SetAVTransportURI), it does in fact store the metadata (passed in CurrentURIMetadata), and it returns the same data again when queried (via GetMediaInfo). So in other words the player receives and stores all the metadata and album art information. But it simply does not display that information on the screen. Go figure...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »

Interestingly having tested the Oppo with the Device Spy tool, it appears that when MC pushes a music track to the player (via SetAVTransportURI), it does in fact store the metadata (passed in CurrentURIMetadata), and it returns the same data again when queried (via GetMediaInfo). So in other words the player receives and stores all the metadata and album art information. But it simply does not display that information on the screen. Go figure...
It's probably just writing it to the CurrentTrackMetaData variable and ignoring it... Sigh..

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 03:25:33 pm »

Sigh..

Indeed...

BTW I also mentioned SetNextAVTransportURI support (lack of) to them but I don't think they even knew what I was talking about...

But more interestingly it turns out that the Oppos are built around a chipset from Mediatek; and apparently Oppo licenses the software SDK from them; so if we could eventually persuade Mediatek to do UPnP / DLNA properly, it is possible that we might get on-board a raft of hardware vendors in one fell swoop... Dreaming on...

davide256

• Recent member
Re: Oppo BDP-103 as a DLNA renderer
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:19 am »

some additional details on my experience of using the Oppo 103 as a DLNA renderer
1) the slow synch time was because usually the Oppo was in screen saver mode. If I hit the Oppo remote menu button so that the Oppo
went to home page, , synch occurs quickly
2) this is Ethernet connected... there is no USB cable length involved here. I currently have the control PC on a 25 ft Ethernet cable
about 15 feet away from the system using static IP's. This setup does mean that wireless is off for the Oppo.
3) I wanted to be sure before abandoning asynch USB that this wasn't a cable issue, so purchased a Wireworld Starlight 7 BNC to RCA digital cable
and a Supra USB cable to recable the JKMKIII (using Young driver). These improved sound but the basic issue of "bleached" midrange remained.
4) The asynch USB does have greater detail in high frequency percussion than the Oppo but it also has higher fatigue factor.This also did not improve
with better cables.
5) The Oppo is feeding a Metrum Octave DAC. Analog out of the Oppo isn't bad but doesn't measure up to the Metrum Octave.

scottm_dj

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »

As mentioned in a separate thread, I too am having a high-end Meditek player (in my case a Cambridge 752BD, which is an Oppo twin in this regard) reliably being recognized by MC.  I can play FROM the Cambridge using MC, I just can't play TO the Cambridge from MC.  It used to work when initially setup, not sure what happened.  Very frustrating as Gizmo is so cool!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

As mentioned in a separate thread, I too am having a high-end Meditek player (in my case a Cambridge 752BD, which is an Oppo twin in this regard) reliably being recognized by MC.  I can play FROM the Cambridge using MC, I just can't play TO the Cambridge from MC.  It used to work when initially setup, not sure what happened.  Very frustrating as Gizmo is so cool!

I answered your other thread. But since you player is an Oppo clone, it would be worth you checking what others have said in this thread; namely that when the Oppo is in sleep mode it may be slower for MC to discover it, than when the player is fully awake.

( ...and obviously the player must have the network renderer function actually turned on via its setup menu... )
( ...and I don't recall exactly but I think the player has two sleep settings "lowest power" (deep sleep) and "fast turn on" (snoozing) and I think it can only be discovered by MC when it is in the latter sleep mode... )

Pages: [1]   Go Up