INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get this View's Panes to show?  (Read 5395 times)

chrisjj

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I get this View's Panes to show?
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:21 am »

Thanks.

Lasse_Lus

Re: How do I get this View's Panes to show?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:31 am »

go to the root in this case Album, it seems like you are in the tree...
MT5FR

chrisjj

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:54:47 am »

Yes I am on an album, and Yes the panes appear when instead I am on "Albums", but how do I get them to appear on an album?

chrisjj

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:41 am »

Anyone, please??

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:16 am »

Once you drill down into the tree, you are in a File List.  The panes disappear.  Disable "Support tree browsing" and use the panes instead to select albums.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:00:55 pm »

(Wot MrC just said... :)

Yes I am on an album, and Yes the panes appear when instead I am on "Albums", but how do I get them to appear on an album?
You can't.

You choose one or the other. If you want panes, then select the view 'root' and then filter the list using panes, if you wish to drill into the tree to filter the list instead, that is fine, but now, you are 'tree browsing', and the panes are automatically disabled.

-marko

chrisjj

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »

You can't.

You choose one or the other.
OK, thanks. I was expecting Panes to be available because they are in the program I'm migrating from (EDIT: program name deleted).

Related question: how do I get Panes for playlists? I do hope this is possible, because I have massive playlists for which I really do need Panes filtering.

Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:00:46 am »

You can't get panes for playlists..... but....

You can get playlists in panes...

First, you would need to place the playlists you would want to work with into a single playlist group, and then you can add this group as a pane in a library view.

For playlist management this is an outstanding solution as you can select files in the list and then use the tagging mode check boxes to add or remove tracks from playlists. Smartlists work just as well in this scenario, but obviously, by their nature (a smartlist is really a 'saved search'), you cannot add/remove files from those using a playlist pane.

Have a poke at your options in "customise view", look at categories in the top left, hit the "Add" button and choose "playlist group", choose your group, take the rest as defaults and hit OK. These tend to work best when used as the first pane on the left.

If you need more help setting it up, just shout.

-marko.

chrisjj

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:30:00 am »

> You can't get panes for playlists.....

Aw, shame. Thanks.

> You can get playlists in panes...

> Have a poke at your options in "customise view", look at categories in the top left, hit the "Add" button and
> choose "playlist group", choose your group, take the rest as defaults and hit OK.

Done: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2275/regionf.png

But it has no visible effect. And when I reopen Customise View... I find Show Categories In This Order has been emptied.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:55:52 am »

Works fine for me

Sean

chrisjj

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »

Works fine for me
And for me... as far at those dialogs, e.g.

But no further e.g. when I use "Customise this view..." again to verify, the playlist group is gone:

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

Very strange.
I do not see anything wrong with your screen shots, and just in case you were wondering, I tested that this works using the latest available install of MJ14 from this board. After a default, clean install, there is only the "Smartlists" group to choose, so that's what I went with.
Does that one also disappear for you?

-marko.

chrisjj

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:46:01 pm »

Very strange.
Mystery solved. There's a crucial further requirement - playlist may not be empty. GOK why though, since using panes to fill empty playlists is surely valid. But no matter because this block is easily fooled: add a track, create the view, remove the track - the playlist remains.

For playlist management this is an outstanding solution
Indeed it looks more powerful than any other program's options e.g. offers one-click playlist intersections.

Though I can't understand the requirement to move playlists to a Group. Why does the View config not simply allow "Playlists". I tried working around with Search List "Playlists | is any", and though this includes all tracks of all playlists, I can find no way of getting a pane to show all playlists themselves.

as you can select files in the list and then use the tagging mode check boxes to add or remove tracks from playlists
And even read-only the tagging checkmarks are very useful - for showing the playlisting of the selected track(s).

But please, how does one "add tracks from playlists" using this tagging mode?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 02:09:50 am »

But please, how does one "add tracks from playlists" using this tagging mode?
You can use tagging mode to add tracks to playlists by selecting tracks in the list and then clicking in the empty tagging check box.
You can remove tracks from a playlist by selecting tracks in the list and then clicking in the populated check box.

This can be really handy for managing playlists that will be synced to a handheld device, for example, which may require one final tip:
Add a smartlist to your playlist group that includes all of your audio files, but excludes all of the other playlists in the group. Now, when you select this entry in the pane, none of the files in this list exist in any of the other playlists, and can be added by selecting files and ticking the tagging mode check boxes. Hitting refresh updates the list removing those files that have just been added to playlists. New playlists can easily be added to the group right there in the pane using the "New Playlist" entry shown at the bottom of the pane when files are selected.

Playlist sub-groups, though they cannot be created directly in the pane, also work, showing up in the pane as expandable/collapsible playlist branches! So simple, yet so powerful.

-marko.

chrisjj

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

Returning to the OP issue... given
You can't.
may I ask if you had this 600-track compilation album http://www.tango.info/02480002101123 and wanted to browse it by genre, how would you? Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 02:26:02 am »

I would have an album pane and a genre pane to the right of it. Selecting that album in the album pane would list the 600 tracks, and the genre pane would adjust itself to only show the genres included in the selected album (because that's how it works) and selecting any given genre in the genre pane would filter the list so that only tracks of the selected genre, from the selected album, were shown.

or am I misunderstanding the question?

-marko.

chrisjj

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:07 am »

Thanks Marko, you understood fine.

I would have an album pane
OK, done that. Using Panes: Left, I have that album pane the full height of the window, so in terms of number of entries visible it is as good as the tree.

and a genre pane to the right of it
Not possible here. "Add category to right" adds it below, reducing the Album pane to a much inferior 50% view capacity of the tree. The only way I find to avoid the second pane diminishing the first is to use Panes: Top ... which itself diminishes the Album pane even more.

MrC

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »

OK, done that. Using Panes: Left, I have that album pane the full height of the window, so in terms of number of entries visible it is as good as the tree.
Not possible here. "Add category to right" adds it below, reducing the Album pane to a much inferior 50% view capacity of the tree. The only way I find to avoid the second pane diminishing the first is to use Panes: Top ... which itself diminishes the Album pane even more.

The bug here is that menu item "Add category to the left" (or "right") should be "top" / "bottom" when panes are at left/right instead of the default panes on top.

chrisjj

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »

The bug here is that menu item "Add category to the left" (or "right") should be "top" / "bottom" when panes are at left/right instead of the default panes on top.
Rather I think the command "Add category to the right" should do what it says. That's much more useful.

MrC

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 02:43:11 pm »

Panes are linear, one dimensional.  You want them to be two dimensional.

chrisjj

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 05:47:26 pm »

Panes are linear, one dimensional.  You want them to be two dimensional.
Nope. I'd be happy if this one right/left dimension that is offered was actually delivered.

MrC

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 05:55:05 pm »

No, that's not correct.  When you have Panes: Left, this would add panes in the Y axis.  You now want to expand a pane to the right which would be the X axis.  Both N x 1 and 1 x N matrices are still two-dimensional.

chrisjj

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »

No, that's not correct.  When you have Panes: Left, this would add panes in the Y axis.

No. When I have Panes: Left, "Add category to right" would add a pane in the X axis... if it worked properly i.e. as self-described.

Both N x 1 and 1 x N matrices are still two-dimensional.

I'll settle for your previous "Panes are linear, one dimensional".

chrisjj

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »

Mystery solved. There's a crucial further requirement - playlist may not be empty. GOK why though, since using panes to fill empty playlists is surely valid.
Fixed in MC18. Thanks Devs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up