INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Internet Radios in Theater View  (Read 21514 times)

Xtof

• Recent member
Favorite Internet Radios in Theater View
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:32:16 am »

Hello,

I'm new to MC and I have been looking for an answer to the following question in the Wiki and this forum but could not find any.

I'd like to get rid of my old FM tuner and use MC instead. Is there a way to get easy and direct access to my favorite internet radios in Theater View. I can access them all through radiotime (under Audio/Connected Media) but I have not found a way to set MC up so they would appear in theater view and be easily accessible with a remote control.

Any help would be appreciated (if you believe this is not possible, please say it as well)

Tx a lot.
Xtof.

Audionut

• Recent member
Re: Favorite Internet Radios in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:53 am »

Hello,

I can see two ways to do this:
a) save the radio streams when you connect them, so that they appear in connected media view. Then add them to a playlist and name the playlist "Web Radio" or something like that. You can then access the Internet Radio stations by selecting the "Web Radio" playlist with your remote from Theatre View
b) again, save the radio streams when you connect them, so that they appear in connected media view. Then edit the meta data for each station and put them into the same genre, for example "Web Radio". You can then access the Internet Radio stations by selecting the genre "Web Radio" with your remote from Theatre View

b) is the one I use, have not tried a) but I guess it should work just the same.

Hope this helps!

Joerg

Xtof

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:51 am »

Tx Joerg,

If I understand correctly what you suggest this is about first saving the internet radio as a music file (whatever format) and then playing it later. If this is correct, it is not what I'm looking for. I would simply like to be able to have a new view (or something similar) in the theater view that would list my favorite radios and when I click on it, it start playing it live.

Xtof.

Audionut

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:32 am »

I think my suggestion is what you are looking for! You are not recording the stream to a file for later playback, you are only saving the URL for the live stream to have quick access to it. When you do as I suggested, what you select from the Theatre View will instruct JRiver to open the Live stream, not a recording of the stream.

Joerg

Xtof

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »

Joerg,

Tx again . Very clear now.

I have treid it and I can indeed add a URL to the connected media list ... but I can not find a way to edit its metadata.

Xtof.

Audionut

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »

You are welcome  :)

If you look into "Connected Media" / "My Connected Media" you should find the entry for your saved stream URL. In this view find the "Genre" column and just enter a value right there (F2 or right mouse click "Rename") to enter a value like "Web Radio" for the Genre of your stream.

Joerg

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:46:46 pm »

There is a simple—but not particularly intuitive—solution to this. To summarize the issue: Without getting into details I don't fully understand, "Connected Media" is clearly something different than other views. It has special properties supporting online media, but one of it's differences is it's not available in Theatre View. Regular views, however, will handle any type of media—including those located on the Internet. So...

Create a "Radio" view with a Rule for file display that includes only online sources: ([Filename (path)]=[http:". Then drag & drop items you've added to "Connected Media" to "Radio" to "import" them. They remain the same "file" and can be tagged in either location, but you will be able to configure "Radio" just like any other view. Mine is a Panes view which allows me to quickly select a stream based on provider, genre, location, bitrate, etc. In the same way, a "Radio" view can be added to Theatre View.

Xtof

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »

Rick.ca,

Tx.

Well ... I'm trying your trick but I'm getting stuck somewhere. Here's what I have done :
- Right click on the left pane and choose Add Library view
- Pick "Empty view", give it a name (Web radios) and locate it at Root, Click OK
- View as Panes, Did not add a category, In the settings box :
    - in Included Files, Set rules for file display ... I imported your condition ([Filename (path)]=[http:"
    - I unchecked the next bux Use parent rule for file display

Now, the individual items under Connected Media can not not be dragged and dropped anywhere. I just can not pick those items and move them (neither in my new view, neither somewhere else).

Any idea what is at work here. Note that I'm using MC 15.

Xtof.

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »

The set up of your new view sounds fine. And this may be what you're doing, but just to be clear: Drag items from the "My Connected Media" child view. In other words, by "item," I mean one file or stream from the details pane, not the entire branch in the tree. You have to get an entry there first, by one of several different means (adding from the file menu, a link from a web page, etc.). I don't think there's any difference between MC15 and MC16 on this behaviour.

Xtof

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:08:02 am »

Rick,

Tx.

The issue really is that I can not pick the sub-items within the Connected Media tree and drop them anywhere. When I click and drag on one of the subitems the mouse pointer does not change into a draggable thing but remains the standard arrow, indicating that I can't drag and drop it.

Having said so, I have found a couple of other ways to achieve this but none are really satifactory :
- Option 1
    - Add a Root Item view in Option/Theater view, call it something like "Web Radio's"
    - Add web pages directly to it in Options/Theater view with the web radios URL
    => web page displayed within theater view OK
    => silly to add each page
- Option 2
    - Create shortcuts within a directory in Windows Explorer with radio URLs
    - Import this directory as documents in MC
    - Tag the document with genre "Web Radio"
    - Create the necessary Theater View with the correspoding filter
    => When played in theater view, this opens a separate web browser page => not good for home theater

I think I am going to go with Option 1 unless someone has a more elegant solution.

How can we introduce a feature request for this : I would like this basic web radio functionality to be much more integrated with MC. I would like to :
- be able to easily select my favorite radios from a wordwide list
- create a home theater view where each one would appear with its logo
- be able to tag those with genre, bit rate, ...
- play them directly from the theater view having a nice layout with the station logo, playing now infor and may be a couple of other information (all directly in theater view rather then on a web page)

Xtof.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:35:00 am »

Sorry, I have no idea why you're unable to drag & drop. Maybe the screen shot will help.

Clearly, it could be easier. But what I've illustrated is MC's ability to handle radio streams in exactly the same manner as any other media. This is more effective than attempting to develop unique handling for every different type of media.

Also consider the fact most internet radio "stations" don't want their stream pirated so you don't have to see/use their website. Many have effective means of preventing it. Others try with means that can be circumvented—but that's not something the program can be expected to do "automatically."
Pages: [1]   Go Up