INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: change form c drive to another  (Read 1915 times)

boer1963

• Recent member
change form c drive to another
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »

Hello,

How can I change some files (dvd ord cd) from  my C: drive to a new drive directly form JRiver?

regards,

boer1963

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: change form c drive to another
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »

If only the drive letter is being changed:

1) outside of MC, move the files

2) inside of MC, select all the files you need to change drive letters for and Tools > Library Tools > Find & Replace
select "filename" in the left
enter "C:\" in "Find what:"
enter new drive letter in "Replace", example: D:\
press OK

boer1963

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:19:26 am »

Oke thx.

But if I choose option 2, does that mean that the coverart also changes to drive d, for example?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:35:45 am »

Try that with 1 file to check. But yes, I think so.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:45:24 am »

It is a sequence.

Do first 1) and then 2).   -- I.e. move the files outside MC and then fix the broken links in the library. Disable Auto-Import before proceeding. The newer Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool is better than the Find & Replace tool for this operation. You can find some instructions here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57922.msg392381#msg392381

If the cover art files are stored in the media files' folders they will be fine also in the new location (MC stores only the plain filename to the Image File library field in this case).

If the cover art files are stored in a separate folder (i.e. if the Image File library field values contain the complete directory paths) you should move the cover art files with the Cover Art > Save Cover Art To External Location Specified In Options tool before doing anything else. (Assuming you actually want to move also the cover art files.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:34:25 am »

I just moved a few thousand songs to a new drive.  I followed the first example because I store my cover art in the directory.  The key is making sure that the entire path is maintained on the new drive.  For example C:\Jazz\artist\album is moved to D:\Jazz\artist\album.  Then you can simple use the find and replace command.  It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

If you are unsure, you can move the files in windows and re-import them from the new drive.

Tunetyme

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: change from c drive to another
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:07:20 pm »

221bbs suggested only one procedure. It has two steps. EDIT: probably you mean my first example, not 221bbs'.

"Find and Replace" doesn't have a filename preview. The Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool provides a preview and some other features that may make it easier and safer.

The RM&CF tool is limited to file handling - renaming, moving, copying and also changing the filename field values "virtually" (i.e. only inside the library without touching the disk files even if they are available). Of course, the Find and Replace tool is still as useful as ever for the other library fields.

EDIT 2

C:\Jazz\artist\album is moved to D:\Jazz\artist\album.

It is also easy to change more than just the drive letter. For example:
From  C:\Documents and Settings\[usename]\My Documents\My Music\   to   D:\Music\
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up