INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 2-channel Blu-ray sound  (Read 24899 times)

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
Best 2-channel Blu-ray sound
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »

First: a big THANKS to the J River team for a wonderful media center, and being so invested in making it continually better. And now with the addition of Blu-ray playback I've found my ideal all-in-one media player.

Speaking of which: until recently I've used TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum for playing back my Blu-rays, but has always been somewhat annoyed by a lackluster 2-channel sound with limited LF(low frequency) capability. (I only use 2-channel sound, and so finds it a great audio option when Blu-rays feature a 2-channel LPCM track in addition to a possible multi-channel track.)

But now having tried out J Rivers Blu-ray playback, in 2-channel mode, it's very obvious that LF extention and power is much more pronounced, indeed unrestrained, compared to TotalMedia Theatre, and this of course makes me extremely happy - also being the (2-channel) audiophile that I am! Moreover sound quality in general from J River is a definate step-up. However, I've noticed the constant updates especially with regard to video decoding, and so I hope there won't be any future "downgrades" with regard to 2-channel sound in the audio department, for reasons that might perhaps prove beneficial to multichannel sound, and so this is just a little prayer of mine that the J River team will do what's in their power to at least maintain the great 2-channel sound(with unrestricted LF extention) found already!

Furthering: is there any way to maintain 24-bit audio playback from a multichannel track on a Blu-ray when being down-converted, if there isn't a dedicated 2-channel lossless track already, to 2-channel output? I'm just interested in the best 2-channel sound available via Blu-ray playback, and of course the best picture quality possible as well... :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best 2-channel Blu-ray sound
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »

so I hope there won't be any future "downgrades" with regard to 2-channel sound in the audio department

Maintaining a first-class audiophile-quality playback system is a top priority for JRiver, and plenty of people here are 2 or 2.1 channel aficionados (not to mention the people who work there).  I wouldn't worry about that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:53 am »

Since you already own TotalMedia Theater Three Platinum, you can use its DTS-HD decoder with the LAV Audio Decoder to get 24-bit playback.

1.  Download LAV Filters (this includes both a splitter and an audio filter). You should download the 32-bit zip file and extract it to a location of your choice. I use C:\Blu-ray\LAVFilters.

2.  Copy the dtsdecoderdll.dll file from the TMT 3 installation to the LAV Filter folder.

3.  Run the installaudio.bat and the installfilter.bat file in the LAV Filter folder.

4.  With version 16.0.100 or later of MC, go to Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings and set the DirectShow selection method to Red October with additional filters.

5.  In the decoders section at the bottom of General Video Settings choose Blu-ray and add LAV Splitter as the Source Filter and LAV Audio Decoder to Other filters.

You will now get DTS-HD and TrueHD decoded properly and maintaining the 24-bit resolution.

If you are using a subwoofer I would go into the DSP Studio and set Output Format to 5.1 Channels, mixing to JRSS, and check move center to front L/R. This will give you the front soundstage from L/R, but won't mix the sides or rears into the fronts. I am using it this way in my office right now.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

Since you already own TotalMedia Theater Three Platinum, you can use its DTS-HD decoder with the LAV Audio Decoder to get 24-bit playback.

1.  Download LAV Filters (this includes both a splitter and an audio filter). You should download the 32-bit zip file and extract it to a location of your choice. I use C:\Blu-ray\LAVFilters.

2.  Copy the dtsdecoderdll.dll file from the TMT 3 installation to the LAV Filter folder.

3.  Run the installaudio.bat and the installfilter.bat file in the LAV Filter folder.

4.  With version 16.0.100 or later of MC, go to Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings and set the DirectShow selection method to Red October with additional filters.

5.  In the decoders section at the bottom of General Video Settings choose Blu-ray and add LAV Splitter as the Source Filter and LAV Audio Decoder to Other filters.

You will now get DTS-HD and TrueHD decoded properly and maintaining the 24-bit resolution.

If you are using a subwoofer I would go into the DSP Studio and set Output Format to 5.1 Channels, mixing to JRSS, and check move center to front L/R. This will give you the front soundstage from L/R, but won't mix the sides or rears into the fronts. I am using it this way in my office right now.

Wow, many thanks for your über-cool help and instructions on getting the most of my 2-channel Blu-ray sound!! Can't wait to try it out, which unfortunately cannot be done until next week in that my remaining sound setup is right now "in limbo."

I didn't know my TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum contained a DTS-HD decoder, but that's just wonderful that it does, and that it can be used in conjunction with J River Media Center this way.

Thanks again!

Best,

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »

Hmm, how do I access this file?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »

I found the dtsdecoderdll.dll.

However, when I tried to run the "installaudio.bat and the installfilter.bat file" I got the following message:

The module "LAVAudio.ax" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

Any idea how to get about that?

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »

Run the "installs" as admin.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:24:44 am »

Hmm, I thought I was already doing that. Perhaps I'm not downloading the right file, and this is not for Windows 7(64-bit)?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:53:40 am »

It worked! Sorry, I right-clicked on the files and ran them as admin. I'm a blundering novice on these things...

Thanks!

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 03:12:20 am »

mojave -

How do I "add LAV Splitter as the Source Filter and LAV Audio Decoder to Other filters."? Or rather where?

Best,
M

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:06 am »

mojave -

How do I "add LAV Splitter as the Source Filter and LAV Audio Decoder to Other filters."? Or rather where?

Best,
M

I'm stuck here. Through where do I find this so-called 'Source Filter' and 'Other filters'? And how and where is the adding of the LAV Splitter and LAV Audio Decoder done?

In the bottom Video section under 'Decoders...' I've chosen Blu-ray, actually it was chosen already, and just below the 'Decoders...' section is the option 'Playback Method.' Is this where I'm supposed to add the LAV Splitter and Audio Decoder?

I would appreciate any help from hereon...

Best,
M

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:44:56 am »

First, you need the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version of LAV Filters. This is because MC is 32-bit.

Things keep changing with the new releases. With 16.0.101, you go to Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings. Under DirectShow Selection Method go to advanced and choose one of the Red October with additional filters option. Now at the bottom you should be able to select LAV Audio Filter under Other Filters. The source filter can be left to automatic. It will select LAV Splitter.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:38 am »

I just was doing some testing. Don't install LAV Splitter. Just install LAV Audio. LAV Splitter is used internally by MC when Red October is in use so you don't need to install it. For some reason the manual installation is causing a conflict.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:26:02 am »

First, you need the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version of LAV Filters. This is because MC is 32-bit.

Things keep changing with the new releases. With 16.0.101, you go to Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings. Under DirectShow Selection Method go to advanced and choose one of the Red October with additional filters option. Now at the bottom you should be able to select LAV Audio Filter under Other Filters. The source filter can be left to automatic. It will select LAV Splitter.

I got the 32-bit version, so that's as it should be. And I've run the "installaudio.bat and the installfilter.bat" as well. Red October with additional filters is chosen. I got the latest J River MC 16.0.101.

But it's from here I'm lost: "Now at the bottom you should be able to select LAV Audio Filter under Other Filters. The source filter can be left to automatic. It will select LAV Splitter."

The only two options at the bottom is 'Decoders, Renderers &...' and 'Playback Method,' and under none of these is there anything to be found of 'Other Filters.' Neither is there any sign of 'Source Filters.' That is: is see no options for LAV Audio Filter or LAV audio Splitter.

What could I have done wrong?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:33 am »

I just was doing some testing. Don't install LAV Splitter. Just install LAV Audio. LAV Splitter is used internally by MC when Red October is in use so you don't need to install it. For some reason the manual installation is causing a conflict.

I'm a bit confused now. How don't I install the LAV Splitter? The initial installation contains both LAV Splitter and LAV Audio.

I've just deleted LAV folder and uninstalled the installaudio.bat and the installfilter.bat files. Think it's better I start from scratch.

So, what is it I'm supposed to do now?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:09 am »

Ok, now I've only run the install-audio batch file, and NOT the install-splitter batch file. Is that correct?

Still no sign of 'Other Filters' and LAV Audio...

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:01 am »

Under 'Playback Method' I had to choose "J River video engine ...," and up came 'Source Filter' and 'Other Filters.'

However, under these options I can find no LAV Audio :(

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:20 am »

Ok, now I've only run the install-audio batch file, and NOT the install-splitter batch file. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

Here is what your screen should look like. If you click the drop down arrow to the right of Other Filters you can select LAV Audio Decoder. Did you change the DirectShow selection method under General Video Settings?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 10:06:54 am »

Yes, that is correct.

Here is what your screen should look like. If you click the drop down arrow to the right of Other Filters you can select LAV Audio Decoder. Did you change the DirectShow selection method under General Video Settings?

Thanks for the screen image. And yes, I've now made the change under General Video Settings.

But I can't find LAV Audio under 'Other Filters.' Could I have made a mistake somewhere?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:38 am »

Oh bugger, under 'Playback Method' I had to choose "J River video engine ...," and up came 'Source Filter' and 'Other Filters.'
Whoops! I forget about that step.

You might need some more files. Here is a quote from yesterday on the LAV Filters thread:

Quote from: nevcairiel
Note that 1.1.0.0 needs some special setup if you're using Win7, as it requires the 2003 edition of the MS C runtime, which does not have an installer for Win7, for some reason (msvcr71.dll and some other dll)

Quote from: nevcairiel
You need to get msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll and put them in the System32/SysWOW64 folder (on 32-bit or 64-bit systems respectively). You can google for those, multiple places to obtain them should show up.

Edit:  The 1.1.0.0 referred to is the version of the dts decoder that came with TMT.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

I checked my downloads folder and I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 package. There used to be a link to it on the first page of the LAV Filters thread at doom9.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:38:23 am »

I checked my downloads folder and I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 package. There used to be a link to it on the first page of the LAV Filters thread at doom9.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

Thanks for all this. I've now downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 package. Maybe I'm supposed to manually add the LAV Audio to the 'Other Files' section?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 10:44:41 am »

After installing C++ 2010, close MC and rerun install_audio.bat in the LAV folder to re-register it. Then open MC and see if it is in the list. The Other Filters should show all filters that are correctly registered.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

After installing C++ 2010, close MC and rerun install_audio.bat in the LAV folder to re-register it. Then open MC and see if it is in the list. The Other Filters should show all filters that are correctly registered.

Just did as described by you, and still no LAV Audio under 'Other Filters.' :(

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:49 am »

The VC2010 runtime should no longer be required with recent versions of LAV Splitter/LAV Audio, btw. (Thats why the download link disappeared)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 04:55:15 pm »

[hands high in the air] It works - I've finally found the LAV Audio Decoder in 'Other Filters'!!  ;D

Deleted the LAV Filter files and reloaded the whole darn thing, and then... finally :)

Will test sound sometime tomorrow.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »

Congratulations!  :)

I did some testing and you can also put the dtsdecoderdll.dll file in the Windows/System32 folder. This way if you update LAV Audio Decoder you won't need to place the file in the LAV folder. The LAV Audio Decoder will automatically find and use the DTS-HD decoder.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:54 pm »

Congratulations!  :)

I did some testing and you can also put the dtsdecoderdll.dll file in the Windows/System32 folder. This way if you update LAV Audio Decoder you won't need to place the file in the LAV folder. The LAV Audio Decoder will automatically find and use the DTS-HD decoder.

mojave -

Thanks for above advice! :)

However, all is not well on the audio-front now with LAV Audio Decoder now up and running. Playing Baraka on Blu-ray, which sports 24-bit/96kHz sample freq. sound, there are sometimes small audio drop-outs, heard as the sound suddenly fading out and in, and at a certain place in the film(haven't checked out the entire film yet) it suddenly speeds up, as if fast-winding as few seconds through a scene, and the goes back to normal.

Moreover, today when trying out Criterion's Blu-ray edition of The Thin Red Line there's a longer scene of a sound-power conversation between Col. Tall and Capt. Staros, eventually having Col. Tall go nuts and Staros then "refuses to obey orders," and towards the end of that scene of the ongoing conversation Staros suddenly has to duck due to some mortars hitting just near by, and the last and nearest mortar hit, being the most powerfully sounding, caused my sound system to distort horribly (especially in the bass) just when the mortar impacts, almost sounding as if the voice coils of the bass units are bottoming out - and the sound level was in no way anywhere near the limit of the system. Startled by this I then played the scene again at a much lower volume, and it sounded just as horrible. Having Fox's European Blu-ray version as well I played that disc and particular scene also, and the same phenomenon sounded (horribly) through. What causes this distortion, even at very low volumes? I sounds as if a microphone is subjected with too loud a sound level, causing it to distort(sorry, English is not my first language, and I don't know how to describe this any further).

Later I tried out the French Blu-ray of Bright Star, and being that the film defaults to the dubbed French DTS HD MA track I then switched to the English DTS HD MA track, and noticed the sound level now being lower(?). Puzzled by this I switched back to the French track and the sound level was indeed again higher, then back to the English track (with a lower sound level) where I skipped through some scenes, and this suddenly had the sound become loud again, as on the French track, and then remained that way! I then inserted the Collateral(by Michael Mann) Blu-ray into my HTPC. The film started out with the DTS HD MA track, then I switched to the commentary track which became very loud, and then back again to the DTS HD MA track it started out with, only now the sound level remained the high level of the commentary track..!

I'm really confused about this, and something is definately wrong somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome...

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:14 am »

Which version are you using? There was a fix in 16.0.101 that corrected a problem with downmixing. Are you downmixing to stereo or just moving the center to the R and L speaker? If you don't have a subwoofer, you can set output for 5.1, turn JRSS on, and select Move center to front L/R. Then you can go to the Parametric EQ in the DSP Studio and add the subwoofer (LFE) to the left and right channels. This is sending everything to the mains except the surround channels. It might have better quality this way.

You could also add a high pass filter to protect the drivers of your L/R speakers. If there is low bass present, it can easily bottom out the drivers on mains even at lower volumes.

You can also try going to Tools > Options > Video > Audio for Video, DVD, & Television and make sure that Normalize volume is unchecked. This could be causing your issues. You could also uncheck VideoClock and see if that helps.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »

Which version are you using? There was a fix in 16.0.101 that corrected a problem with downmixing. Are you downmixing to stereo or just moving the center to the R and L speaker? If you don't have a subwoofer, you can set output for 5.1, turn JRSS on, and select Move center to front L/R. Then you can go to the Parametric EQ in the DSP Studio and add the subwoofer (LFE) to the left and right channels. This is sending everything to the mains except the surround channels. It might have better quality this way.

You could also add a high pass filter to protect the drivers of your L/R speakers. If there is low bass present, it can easily bottom out the drivers on mains even at lower volumes.

You can also try going to Tools > Options > Video > Audio for Video, DVD, & Television and make sure that Normalize volume is unchecked. This could be causing your issues. You could also uncheck VideoClock and see if that helps.

mojave -

Thanks for your response and advice on my issues.

I'm using the latest version, 16.0.105. I'm downmixing to stereo only, but being that I'm a 2-channel audiophile and listenes to a lot of music, and praises the very best sound quality here, won't outputting to 5.1 the way you describe affect the sound when listening to music only? I mean, is there a way to make a setting for video that doesn't affect music playback? Or will changing the setting in the DSP to 5.1(as you describe) not affect how my 2-channel music from the harddrive is played back? But it's an interesting change in setting up audio for video! I'll try it out, but won't maintain this setting if it affects music playback.

My speakers weren't bottoming out, it just sounded that way. Even when I turned down the volume to very low level the exact same distorting sound appeared as with higher levels. So, it's the signal that is somehow "clipped" or distorted unaffected by the actual sound pressure level I've chosen in playback.

What does the "Normalize volume" and "Videoclock" settings mean?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »

Selecting 5.1 doesn't output 5.1 unless JRSS is on and the box "For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1" is unchecked. The other channels are just blank when using a stereo source. However, if you are using an external two channel DAC it might not accept the signal so you will have to downmix to stereo. I use 7.1 channel soundcards in my computers so it isn't an issue.

You can read more here for:

Normalize Volume
VideoClock

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »

Hmm, now this is strange. I just inserted The Thin Red Line Blu-ray again, and when starting the film I noticed the sound(default DTS HD MA) being rather low. Before trying out the scene that provokes the distorted sound in named scene, I switched to the commentary track and then back again, and now the sound level was higher than before!(as I experienced yesterday with Bright Star), and when I went to named scene the sound was OK - no distorted bass!

It would appear that when inserting a Blu-ray the sound level is too low, but when switching between tracks the sound level is "corrected" to what appears the intended playback level. Strange. I'll just try some more discs, and see if the phenomenon repeats itself...

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:16 pm »

Selecting 5.1 doesn't output 5.1 unless JRSS is on and the box "For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1" is unchecked. The other channels are just blank when using a stereo source. However, if you are using an external two channel DAC it might not accept the signal so you will have to downmix to stereo. I use 7.1 channel soundcards in my computers so it isn't an issue.

You can read more here for:

Normalize Volume
VideoClock

I can't access the "Normalize Volume," but got a little wiser on the other link, though the titel 'VideoClock' is sort of self-explanatory..

I use an external USB-based DAC, yes, so your proposed setting may not work. But, as is, when reaching the intended(or so I gather) sound level from switching between tracks, the sound quality is really great! 

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »

Same happens with the WALL-E Blu-ray. When starting the film the default DTS DH MA track sounds rather low, but switching to another track and then back fixes it - the volume level becomes higher to what I would regard the intended level.

But why is this switching back and forth between tracks necessary the achieve the desired sound level? 

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

More oddities coming up:

Just inserted Baraka Blu-ray, and it starts out with default DTS HD MA(24-bit/96kHz) and low volume. I check the DSP and it states '2 channels 96000Hz.' I then switch to another track and back again, and the sound again becomes higher in volume, but now the DSP states '2 channels 48000Hz'?? And yes, I've yet again chosen the DTS HD MA track which sports 96kHz sampling frequency, which was stated by DSP to begin with, but now is "downconverted" to 48kHz. I can't see the bit depth, but maybe it has been downconverted to 16-bit as well, even though the whole idea with LAV Audio Decoder was to maintain full bit depth and sampling frequency, and which seems to be maintained when I start up disc, only to be downconverted when switching back and forth between tracks.  

?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 04:50:49 pm »

You need to go back and make sure you are using the LAV Audio Decoder and it is decoding the DTS-HD. While playing a movie, right click on the screen and select "DirectShow Filters." It should show you the filters being used. If LAV Audio Decoder is being used, then select it to go to the properties. The status tab will show if you are decoding DTS HD.

If it isn't using the LAV Audio Decoder, you need to recheck your DirectShow selection method under Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »

You need to go back and make sure you are using the LAV Audio Decoder and it is decoding the DTS-HD. While playing a movie, right click on the screen and select "DirectShow Filters." It should show you the filters being used. If LAV Audio Decoder is being used, then select it to go to the properties. The status tab will show if you are decoding DTS HD.

If it isn't using the LAV Audio Decoder, you need to recheck your DirectShow selection method under Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings.

Thanks. When doing this the status tab shows me that when starting out Baraka(playing with lower volume) it does indeed output in 24-bit/96kHz and with the LAV Audio Decoder working. However, when I switch to another track and back again to the DTS HD MA track the LAV Audio decoder is now disabled, and to get it to work again I have to stop the film, and start it again(playing again with lower volume, and other problems)!

And yes, I recheck as you describe, but the settings shows me the LAV Audio Decoder is there and chosen. Do I need to configure the LAV Audio Decoder differently?

EDIT: When playing back The Thin Red Line Blu-ray, and starting out the disc with the default DTS HD MA(and the status tab confirming 24-bit DTS HD MA) track with lower volume, the distorted bass sound is there again.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »

These sound problems are a bit saddening :( At all times when inserting a Blu-ray disc the volume is now rather low, and only shifting back and forth between tracks brings up the volume level, though at the cost of DTS HD MA sound - at least fully flexed - but without the distorted bass sound from The Thin Red Line.

There are some definate problems with the sound setup here(video). Regular 2-channel music playback sounds perfect - no problems there.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

These sound problems are a bit saddening :( At all times when inserting a Blu-ray disc the volume is now rather low, and only shifting back and forth between tracks brings up the volume level, though at the cost of DTS HD MA sound - at least fully flexed - but without the distorted bass sound from The Thin Red Line.

There are some definate problems with the sound setup here(video). Regular 2-channel music playback sounds perfect - no problems there.

Hi Thought i might chime in here,
I too am a high end 2 channel only guy.
I completely agree, the volume of 5.1 to 2 channel mixdown from JRSS (surround) is far too low. adding normalize volume is not a great solution, as it's another process in the audio stream and find it sounds messy. i think that the channel gains in JRSS mixdown need to be louder. Also, i have same audio distortion issues playing blu-ray, and it's not due to high audio output. seems when all of the 5.1 channels in the stream are active, it happens. this is when using TrueHD. I've tried J  rivers own default filters, and LAV audio filter, same thing.
DVD audio works great when i have RO off, and let Directshow Audio filter doing the mixdown (normalize volume OFF in both j river and directshow audio mixdown matrix) JRSS off and set to 2 Ch output in J River audio options.
I'm using the latest J river version.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »

I completely agree, the volume of 5.1 to 2 channel mixdown from JRSS (surround) is far too low.

When you combine 6 channels into 2, you have to reduce the volume or there could be clipping.  You might read a little about normalizing mixing matrixes.  There's no mathematical way around this without adding a dynamic range compressor (which an audiophile like myself would hate) or allowing clipping (also bad).

adding normalize volume is not a great solution, as it's another process in the audio stream and find it sounds messy.

Turning up the volume or using normalization is the solution.  There's nothing "messy" about normalization.  You might read more here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64174.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 07:02:07 pm »

When you combine 6 channels into 2, you have to reduce the volume or there could be clipping.  You might read a little about normalizing mixing matrixes.  There's no mathematical way around this without adding a dynamic range compressor (which an audiophile like myself would hate) or allowing clipping (also bad).

Turning up the volume or using normalization is the solution.  There's nothing "messy" about normalization.  You might read more here:

Hi Matt,
unable to use this link above.

What about increasing gains in JRSS and using a brickwall limiter for the short peaks to avoid clipping? or is this what your normalize does already? very curious of the mixdown process and appreciate the help.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »

Hi Matt,
unable to use this link above.

Sorry.  Try again:

What about increasing gains in JRSS and using a brickwall limiter for the short peaks to avoid clipping? or is this what your normalize does already? very curious of the mixdown process and appreciate the help.

I don't think brick walling or clipping is a good default in an audiophile solution.

However, you can add a fixed gain with Parametric Equalizer to achieve this.  Overflow handling (at the bottom of DSP Studio) can be configured to brick wall or to turn down the volume on overflow.

Before doing this, I would recommend at least trying the dedicated normalization feature.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »

Sorry.  Try again:

I don't think brick walling or clipping is a good default in an audiophile solution.

However, you can add a fixed gain with Parametric Equalizer to achieve this.  Overflow handling (at the bottom of DSP Studio) can be configured to brick wall or to turn down the volume on overflow.

Before doing this, I would recommend at least trying the dedicated normalization feature.

Thanks Matt,
Just to check, when using normalize volume, are the stream channel gains increased back to near normal at the JRSS mixdown stage, or are the channel gains always set low regardless, and the normalize adds another gain increase process later on?

I now know what normalize volume does, reduces volume at peaks and remains at the gain till file is released and then is reset, but i'm curious of the gain process at the mixdown.
should i be posting here, or at link suggested?, Thanks again

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 08:27:08 pm »

Just to check, when using normalize volume, are the stream channel gains increased back to near normal at the JRSS mixdown stage, or are the channel gains always set low regardless, and the normalize adds another gain increase process later on?

I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but since the entire audio chain is 64-bit floating point, from an audio quality perspective it's irrelevant where in the chain the volume happens or the total number of volume changes.  You could do a single volume or a million different volumes that summed to the same final volume and you'd still have millions of times more precision left than any equipment can use.

I now know what normalize volume does, reduces volume at peaks and remains at the gain till file is released and then is reset, but i'm curious of the gain process at the mixdown.
should i be posting here, or at link suggested?, Thanks again

You can think of the normalizer as a volume knob.  When the video starts, the volume is up a ways.  If it turns out that having the volume that high will cause a clip (and it might never cause a clip), the knob is turned down.  Once the knob is turned down, it never turns up again for that file.

While turning the volume back up might be a nice feature, it then becomes a dynamic range compression feature and not a strict normalizer.  There's a place for both, but I personally want something the claims unused headroom in the signal by turning the volume up if possible but leaves the full dynamic range intact.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but since the entire audio chain is 64-bit floating point, from an audio quality perspective it's irrelevant where in the chain the volume happens or the total number of volume changes.  You could do a single volume or a million different volumes that summed to the same final volume and you'd still have millions of times more precision left than any equipment can use.

Yeah, that's what i was getting at. I guess i have the notion, that any digital volume is bad, is why i never use replaygain, or computer digital volumes, but I know it can't be helped in a mixdown process.

You can think of the normalizer as a volume knob.  When the video starts, the volume is up a ways.  If it turns out that having the volume that high will cause a clip (and it might never cause a clip), the knob is turned down.  Once the knob is turned down, it never turns up again for that file.

While turning the volume back up might be a nice feature, it then becomes a dynamic range compression feature and not a strict normalizer.  There's a place for both, but I personally want something the claims unused headroom in the signal by turning the volume up if possible but leaves the full dynamic range intact.

I'm with you there, and is how i thought the process is. No compressor is a good thing, I agree.

Do you think in future builds, there'll be an option for a non-surround mixdown. i.e. all channels sent directly to L+R untouched (except for gain)?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »

With build 16.0.108, LAV Audio Decoder is now the default decoder for Red October HQ. If you manually installed the splitter and decoder, you should delete them and use the internal versions. I tested and verified that all you need to do is put the ArcSoft dtsdecoder.dll file in the Windows > System32 folder and MC will decode the DTS-HD track.

Also new with build 16.0.108 is the ability to adjust the gain on a channel that is being moved, copied, or added.

NEW: Parametric Equalizer's channel mixer allows applying a volume modification when moving, copying, or adding channels

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:56 am »

Also new with build 16.0.108 is the ability to adjust the gain on a channel that is being moved, copied, or added.

best news ever, allowing users to map audio stream channels to any other channel. But i just tried it, can't get it to work. I've 'moved' all 7.1 channels to the L+R only but J river still clicks over to 2 channel (cause that's my audio device) and JRSS as if it's sensing a muti channel stream. If i change JRSS to off, i only have L and R. Be great to have in the DSP settings, format as 'Source Number Of Channels' left on, and map our own 5.1 to 2 channels in the parametric eq plugin..

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:33 pm »

The output DSP always comes first. If I set my output to 5.1 with JRSS off I can remix and sent the correct info to the front two channels and set the others as silent. However, I have a mulitichannel soundcard.

An option should be added to the parametric EQ that allows you to sent output as stereo based on L and R. You might also be able to add a two channel VST plugin that will take just the L and R and send them out as a stereo signal. You wouldn't have use the VST except to route through it. I think this happened a while ago for me with a two channel VST plugin.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

The output DSP always comes first. If I set my output to 5.1 with JRSS off I can remix and sent the correct info to the front two channels and set the others as silent. However, I have a mulitichannel soundcard.

An option should be added to the parametric EQ that allows you to sent output as stereo based on L and R. You might also be able to add a two channel VST plugin that will take just the L and R and send them out as a stereo signal. You wouldn't have use the VST except to route through it. I think this happened a while ago for me with a two channel VST plugin.

Ah, i see. Yeah it would would be a great to have output last if you order it that way in the plugin selection on the left of the dsp screen. It's not possible to choose 5.1 in the output, as my usb dac is only 2 channel, so creating a 2ch stream in P EQ pre output would be ideal

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 06:38:56 am »

Have a DTSHD audio question. when playing a blu ray, right clicking and choosing stream, the DTS-HD is only running at 1536kbs. this doesn't seem to be the full lossless 24/28 stream, but the DTS core lossy stream? any idea why not getting full lossless stream? Bitstreaming is turned off and just using wasapi to audio device, if needed to know.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up