INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view expression and sorting question  (Read 1894 times)

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hi
Theater view expression and sorting question
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:24 pm »

This is the last thing that I need to really perfect my audio Theater View and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

What I am trying to do is make artists that go by there name, eg. David Ackles, appear under the A's, in correct alphabetical order but read as David Ackles.

This is how I have artists like that tagged.  Notice that Artist Album (auto) and Artist Album differs from Artist.

This is how my view is setup:

The first expression is:
Code: [Select]
If(IsEqual(Left([Album Artist (auto)], 4), The ), Mid([Album Artist (auto)], 4, 1),

If(IsEqual(Left([Album Artist (auto)], 2), A ), Mid([Album Artist (auto)], 2, 1),

if(isequal([keywords],Soundtrack,1),/ Soundtrack,if(isequal([keywords],Compilation,1),/ Compilation,If(IsEqual(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, Left([Album Artist (auto)], 1), 8 ), Left([Album Artist (auto)], 1), 0-9 etc.))

Which results in:

The second expression is

Code: [Select]
if(isequal([Keywords],Soundtrack,1),[Album],if(isequal([Keywords],Compilation,1),[Album],if(isequal([Album Artist (auto)],[Artist]),[Album Artist (auto)],[Artist]))
Which results in (I've scrolled to the bottom to show you that David Ackles is appearing under the A's):

Essentially, what I would like to do is to be able to sort by Album Artist (auto) but display the artist tag instead of the Album Artist (auto).  I want it to look like this (done in Photoshop):

Is this even possible?  If it is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rick.ca

Re: Theater view expression and sorting question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:00 pm »

In other words, you want to display [Artist] (in some cases), but maintain a sort by [Album Artist]. You've probably noticed you can select a sort setting for Categories (in this case, "Expression 2"), but "Album Artist" does not appear in the drop-down list. That drop-down list, however, will include any sort presets you have created in Standard View. So, in Standard View, from the tab menu, select Sort inside groups by...Custom... and create a preset for [Album Artist]. Then return to the Theatre View configuration and assign that preset as the sort setting for your "Expression 2" Category.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:29 am »

I said it before and I'll say it again, you are the man Rick!  That was the final piece in getting this view perfected.  Your help has been invaluable in getting this view setup, Thank you.  If you're ever in the SF Bay Area I'll buy you a beer  :) 

I think I am finally getting my head around expressions too. 

MC never ceases to amaze me, I've been using this program for 7-8 years and I am still finding new and cool things that can be done with it.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »

You're welcome. Some of these things are rather obscure. I never would have discovered this had someone else not mentioned it. And it's the sort of thing I would have forgotten had you not asked. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up