INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MC 16 User Video Lot of problems.  (Read 4311 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
New MC 16 User Video Lot of problems.
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:17 am »

MC 16 .19 build. I was using .16 seeing the same issues only wore.

1-3 2.93 Intel mainboard
4 GB
Win 7 32bit
Intel SSD
Nvidia GT 545, had been using a GT 430 before that no differences
Red October Advanced.
Reclock - No Reclock.
HDMI output from the Nvidia to a DVDO DUO  then it splits to AVR and TV... 
Everything works fine in Windows Media Center, and MPC-HC.. MPC-HC uses LAV stuff and madvr.. no playback issues in any of that.

I have been in the trial stage for a few days with MC16... I want to buy this but it has to be able to launch and play files consistently. Not getting to work

I haven't spent much time with audio side, that all seems to work and I expected it would.

Video is the focus for me.
Source content is all MKVs created by MakeMV or a  BD and DVD rips for movies that MakeMV for whatever reason will not create MKV file for. So there is a mix of HD DVD, BD, and DVD mostly in MKV containers.

Everthing has or will playback.. in MPC-HC and has played back in MC16

Some of these videos are early HD DVD and BD files that have high bit rate multi channel LPCM audio tracks. With .16 out of the box they would not play or would stutter terribly. I installed reclock and they all played fine readless of audio type. Sometimes the LPCM tracks would take a few extra seconds to sync but would play fine and you could select alternate tracks in the OSD. So Dolby, DTS and their HD Audio tracks play fine.

I have a bout 15 videos ripped and in the library, not going to add much more until this works consistently I want to buy this software as it is beautiful but it is driving me crazy. I am strictly in a testing phase. If I open several videos in a row, open... play awhile.. stop... go to back to Theater View start another video... all goes well. But after maybe the third or 4th video is launched MC crashes.

Sometimes I can play more than 3 or 4, these can include the High Bit Multi Channel LPCM tracked videos. It seems though that if I play an LPCM lossles track video there is a much higher likely that upon launching the next file MC will crash most of the content is not lossles LPCM, so I am not likely to have played back to back lossles LPCM.
The problem is not necessarily repeatable but after some random number of file openings and closing it will crash. I can restart and immediately play the video that crashed MC16. Sometime I can play the Last Waltz with high bit rate LPCM and play 3 video files after it okay. Next time bam as soon as  I launch a file after a lossles LPCM multichannel it crashes. I have the Fifth Element BD in MKV for example... has never crashed. I have an MKV or Norah Jones garden variety DVD with Dolby 5.1, it seemed to crash half the time I played it. All these files can be launched, played without incident in MPC-HC.

Wow that was a long drawn out thing.

The other extremel weird thing MC16 does --- It does not want to play the first video in the library properly. I had Avatar first and it would launch but no video... My second movie in the library was Chicago it played fine with the exception listed above..

Avatar would just do a black screen, I thought there might be something broken in the file that only MC16 could see... you could hit stop after launching it and it would exit and return to Theater View. Chicago the next folder/video would play fine. So I deleted Avatar... much to my amazment MC16 now was opening Chicago to a black screen.

I need some help here.

I removed Reclock and tried to operate that way. I clicked some check boxes that I thought would make sense and it would sort of play the LPCM multi-channel video and the others but audio video synch was gone completely and it was even more crashy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New MC 16 User Video Lot of problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:55:45 am »

MC has a benchmark feature under Help.  Could you run it and paste the results here?

I assume you mean build 119.

A problem that caused a crash with madVR is in a build that will probably be released today.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:49 am »

Welcome to Interact.

If you select 'Red October Standard' in Options > Video, do the crashes go away?

I know this isn't your ideal setup, but starting simple and slowly adding complexity would help identify the problem.

Also, please enable logging in Help > Logging.  After a crash, email the previous log to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:38 pm »

MC has a benchmark feature under Help.  Could you run it and paste the results here?

I assume you mean build 119.

A problem that caused a crash with madVR is in a build that will probably be released today.

Yeah 119 - This is a rock solid box. It has a Ceton in it and I use Tuner sharing and can have all 4 tuner splaying HD cable for days without a hiccup.

Processor and GPU stock clocks. Board Bios is current. SSD has trim command working and it is passes all intels diags.

Keeping in mind ths has an Intel SSD 120GB and the OS and programs are on the SSD. The media  files are on 1.5 TB green magnetic drive.

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 4.981 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.835 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 2.592 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 1.762 seconds
Score: 1561

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 1.513 seconds
    Flood filling... 1.170 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.999 seconds
    Small renders... 3.193 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 2.608 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 2.451 seconds
Score: 1844

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.897 seconds
    Populate database... 2.454 seconds
    Save database... 0.428 seconds
    Reload database... 0.095 seconds
    Search database... 2.019 seconds
    Sort database... 1.651 seconds
    Group database... 1.286 seconds
Score: 2435

JRMark (version 16.0.119): 1947

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »

This build is out now:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64955.0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:30:48 pm »

That's a good, not a great score.  The fastest machines are around 3500 to 4000.

We're still learning about how powerful the machine needs to be in order to madVR without dropped frames.  I'm not suggesting that your machine won't work well.  I know you've said it does with MPC, but it may be marginal.  I just don't know yet.

It wouldn't account for the crashes.  If the build just released doesn't fix it, you might try updating your video driver.

More on our benchmark feature

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:54 pm »

That machine won't be able to handle Red October HQ mode for many high-bitrate files.

My Core 2 Quad Q9550 at 3.5GHz can't quite do it for H264 compressed files above around 13mbps.  I'm not sure what that machine is, but I know my JRMark score on that machine was well into the 2000s.

Red October's "Standard Quality" is much higher quality than many other players out there would ever use.  The "HQ" in Red October really, really mean HIGH quality.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »

That's a good, not a great score.  The fastest machines are around 3500 to 4000.

We're still learning about how powerful the machine needs to be in order to madVR without dropped frames.  I'm not suggesting that your machine won't work well.  I know you've said it does with MPC, but it may be marginal.  I just don't know yet.

It wouldn't account for the crashes.  If the build just released doesn't fix it, you might try updating your video driver.

More on our benchmark feature

Guys... I can hit Ctrl J and read as well as anybody.. I am not seeing a bunch of dropped frames. madvr is supposed to use the shaders from my understanding, don't know what you are measuring exactly?
Video driver is the latest. I will install the latest build. playback when it doesn't crash is nearly flawless. My issue is the crashing not quality.. if it did not crash or play a back screen on the first folder in the library I would not be here seeking help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

If you'll be patient, we'll find the cause.  If it's our problem we'll fix it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:26 pm »

Yeah.... Crashing is not relevant to the CPU power issue.

Red October HQ does more than just enable madVR though.  It also uses a bunch of much more CPU intensive (not GPU) filters... Mostly deinterlacing, but I don't think that's it.

Either way, it shouldn't crash.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:38:50 pm »

This focus on mahcine performance and RO is misplaced. MPC-HC plays all these same files with zero issues.

That filter stack in MPC-HD
LAV Splitter
LAV Audio Decoder
LAV CUVID
madvr

Playback in MC 16 is perfect when it plays back at all which is the vast majority of the time.  This crashing always occurs on launch of a new file after perfect playback of 3 -10 files. Otherwise playback is perfect except for a few seconds at the begining of a video with Lossless PCM while it is synching.. (using reclock). All the DTS (MA, HD etc.), DD (+, TrueHD) play perfectly.

The madvr diagnostic OSD enabled by CTRL J will show a few frames dropped at the beginning of the video then none after, unless I am right clicking in the options. So any frames dropped are entering and exiting exclusive mode or some user interface interaction.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

You may want to use LAV CUVID in MC then. That would reduce some of the bottleneck on your CPU.

Select RO - HQ advanced and add LAV CUVID under "other filters."

Using LAV CUVID I'm able to playback full BD rips on a machine that only scores 1049 on the benchmark, with a GT240.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:45:49 pm »

This focus on mahcine performance and RO is misplaced.

I agree.  I think you're hitting something completely non-CPU performance related.

Matt wanted to you try Red October Standard not as a solution, but to help diagnose the problem.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »

I installed build 121. I played 10 files and it crashed launching the 11th. I sent a log to Matt. This build had very poor audio synch on some files, looks nice.. I don't see the pattern, 480i, 1080i, 1080P DVD, MKV .. audio type..

The current settings I have won't work even if it wasn't crashing. Crashing might not really be the right word. It has an error and brings up the diaglog box asking you to close. The mouse pointer is not there until you go to the task manger. About half the time one of the two apps says not responding, the rest of the time is says both are running.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

You may want to use LAV CUVID in MC then. That would reduce some of the bottleneck on your CPU.

Select RO - HQ advanced and add LAV CUVID under "other filters."

Using LAV CUVID I'm able to playback full BD rips on a machine that only scores 1049 on the benchmark, with a GT240.

I was wondering about that.. but then perhaps the software deinterlacing was better other than needing more resources. LAV CUVID I can give a try. I know it works fine in MPC HC.. The GT 545 while not a monster gpu has the latest video engine and while it is not DDR5 it has a very memory path and 1.5 GB of memory on board. It is pretty much optimized as an HTPC solution.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »

Thanks for the log.

It shows a crash, that I think originates from a thread in either madVR or ffdshow.

Could you test Red October Standard to see if that solves the crash?

For the audio sync, please try switching Options > Audio to "WASAPI - Event Style" with 50ms of buffering in 'Output device settings...'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »

That sounds like a hang, not a crash.  MC downloads components. Try waiting longer.

Try Red October Standard to see if it works.

If so, then try Red October HQ with no other changes (no additional filters).

Audio Sync can be corrected with MC's tools, but wait on that until we solve the crash problem.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 04:58:23 pm »

That sounds like a hang, not a crash.  MC downloads components. Try waiting longer.

Try Red October Standard to see if it works.

If so, then try Red October HQ with no other changes (no additional filters).

Audio Sync can be corrected with MC's tools, but wait on that until we solve the crash problem.

Changing the audio setting to WASPI "Event" and the buffering seems to have solved the crashes/hangs.. different from time to time. I am back RO HQ with not additional files.. I had to uninstall and reinstall.. I have 3 MKVs that play fine in MPC-HC with LAV Splitter, LAV Audio, LAV CUVID and madvr..

The audio change really changed thigs. Now these MKVs are a mishmash. One is from BD "Talking Heads". The second is is  "Ladies and Gentlemen : The Rolling Stones"  not sure of the source, seems like a BD becaue it has DTS-MA., and the third is Chicago from an HD DVD and I think has DD+ audio. Of the 18 files everything else pops right up with minimal audio sync issues..

Of these 3 some will make audio, but none will make video. Hitting the stop button on the MS Remote will exit gracefully back Theater View or whatever.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

I meant to say I had been in RO standard and it had the same issues, actually worse because it screwed up AR on a number of the titles. So I don't really know where to go from her.. except maybe try LAV Video Decoder.. but that changes the Audio Decoder... any ideas where now to get these other titles playing. Don't discount an improperly set up library as I have seen some error message regarding library at various times. Is there a proper way to go about getting the library/playlist to rebuild itself from scrath. Obviously in MPC-HC

How can anybody watch EVR when madvr is around? The difference in some content is astonishing.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:44 am »

I have been experimenting with these files that would play and now won't. One is Avatar. I put a fresh copy of the MKV in the directory and it played fine.. first time out. I then did tried to do a chapter change.. (I think I just used the remote channel up key). Once I did that it went into fast forward and it never completed it just went off the tracks and I had to stop playback. After that I opened the file again and got the hang. I closed MC 16 and launched Avatar again, just a black screen.

With the MKV of Chicago that used to play but now launches to a black screen... if you wait a while you will get audio but not video. I found I could righ click a few times and the menu would come up. If you then selected the next chapter it would playback.

So I guess with the bookmarking that goes on.. if playbak of audio and video is way off the book mark pointer are somehow different for audio and video. Why is there not an option to restart or resume at the bookmark? Perhaps there is and I just can't find it. It seems like there ought to be 3 ways that is configure
1 always restart with an option for resume
2 always resumewith an option for restart
3 always just ask...
4 either always 1 or always 2 and never ask

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 04:51:45 pm »

I haven't had much time to experiment with the files that were not playing.

I stumbled around and found how to turn a bookmark off or on in a particular tag.. after turning off bookmark. Avatar was playing again. What is up with the bookmark ? If a file loose synch during playback and it is set to save a bookmark the playback on the file is broken unless/until you tell it not to include bookmark in the tag.. is that a feature, or a bug? Really I appreciate the granularity and in a way that is what I was asking for... but if you are living in Theater Mode and a file's playback is broken by a bookmark tag is there a quick easy way to get it playing wihout chaning view. I like bookmarks as much as the next guy.. but I don't want a file to go to a black screen because of one.

The help yesterday was invaluable.. I want to thank everyone.

I will be doing the paypal thing today. Is there an overview somewhere of the entire ecosystem that your products provide. I want to understand what my license will entitle me to do and what other bits and pieces I might need or want to buy. Right now I am only seeing MC 16 as a media player in Windows but I keep seeing the word Server mentioned.

I am in the process of trying to decidee what format I want my DVD and HD files in. I am using madvr, LAVCUVID. Should I conitnue on with MKV or should I breakdown and buy ANYDVD or DVDFabKey?

As fas ISOs go... will MC16 mount them without a VCD or Daemon Tools.. I don't care much for a zillion drive letter. Many of the hardware media players browsing files from Win 7 box mount ISOs without drama and no specific tools on the PC side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up