INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle engine [Problems go here]  (Read 12000 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Subtitle engine [Problems go here]
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

Please post subtitle problems with subtitles here.

It may take a few builds to get everything working.

Thanks for any help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: Subtitle engine [Problems go here]
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:26:03 am »

So far no problems on the movies i played back. Excellent job and very high quality rendering (in fact, i never seen subtitles render with such clarity until now).

The only thing that annoyes me a little (i said a little:P) is that i need a way for the subtitle engine to prefer external subs over built in the mkv, even if they are in a different language than the one i set in video options.

Other than that, i simply love it and i love you guys.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:26 am »

The only thing that annoyes me a little (i said a little:P) is that i need a way for the subtitle engine to prefer external subs over built in, even if they are in a different language than the one i set in video options.

Selection of the appropriate default and saving the user selection between plays works well for embedded subtitles but not external subtitles.  I expect this to improve over the next couple weeks.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:46:10 am »

Can someone tell me how to set MC to only display 'Forced Subtitles'?

Since I do not see anyone else having issues, perhaps it is pilot error ;D

Specifically I am testing by watching 'The Exendables'  This film has an English subtitles track that can either be on or forced.  Since most of the audio is English, I need to set for ONLY FORCED.  I did post earlier and hoped this would be resolved in this new release but LAV still indicates that forced subtitles are not set and I only have the choice of Subtitles:ON VOB or Subtitles: OFF :(

This function is working perfectly in graphstudio and can only be a setup issue since we are using the same drivers in MC.
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:49:24 am »

Can someone tell me how to set MC to only display 'Forced Subtitles'?

Since I do not see anyone else having issues, perhaps it is pilot error ;D

Specifically I am testing by watching 'The Exendables'  This film has an English subtitles track that can either be on or forced.  Since most of the audio is English, I need to set for ONLY FORCED.  I did post earlier and hoped this would be resolved in this new release but LAV still indicates that forced subtitles are not set and I only have the choice of Subtitles:ON VOB or Subtitles: OFF :(

This function is working perfectly in graphstudio and can only be a setup issue since we are using the same drivers in MC.

From the description, it sounds like LAV is only exposing On and Off subtitle streams.  Normally it will expose Forced, On, and Off.

Could you provide a sample file?

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:04:36 pm »

Your right I do not see the forced option, even so my preference would be to have this setting hardwired so that I do not need to set it for each movie. Can you make it 'sticky'?

I have no way to upload a 9GB plus file. I guessing that any content with 'Forced subtitles would show up the issue.  Just in case it is relevant, I am watching my disk after ripping via an .MKV container.
The Future is Remote!

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:57:23 pm »

How can I turn off the new subtitle engine??? I want to keep on using the ffdshow subtitle filters but now this is not working anymore?  ?

sunfire7

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »

Can I change the Font ?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:19:33 pm »

From the description, it sounds like LAV is only exposing On and Off subtitle streams.  Normally it will expose Forced, On, and Off.

Matt, I see this on every mkv file I have (I think).  in the LAV settings, there's on/full, forced (auto), off.  Forced (auto) are the subs that the splitter reads as forced from the main sub stream.  they are not actually a separate stream in the file, just some magic that Nev has created.

if you go into the LAV settings, you'll see the option.  MC doesn't expose all of this as optional, and setting it in LAV settings while a video is running is not a permanent change.  it's back to full or off the next time I play a video; even the same video again, IIFC.

I believe these forced (auto) subs are showing correctly in the stream selection, there's just no way to make this the default behavior/selection; none that I could find anyway :)
pretend this is something funny

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »

I want to keep on using the ffdshow subtitle filters but now this is not working anymore?  ?

Why? If there's something the new system is missing, maybe it can be added.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:01 pm »

Matt: This is the same issue we corresponded on in thread General > Media Center 16  > LAV Source Splitter Subtitle Settings
The Future is Remote!

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »

Why? If there's something the new system is missing, maybe it can be added.

That would be nice but I doubt that this will ever happen as I don't think that there are enough users who need the advanced settings of ffdshow subtitle filters. Especially I use the possibility to shift the subtitle horizontal and vertical, increase and decrease the size, change font and colour and change the delay of the subtitle. Additionally, I could assign these settings with global hotkey so that I could change them while watching a movie.

If there is not a way to get ffdshow subtitles working, I could decide if I stop updating to new versions or if I go back and use an external player.  :-[

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:38:34 am »

ffdshow subtitles still works if you use RO with additional filters (ffdshow raw in my case).

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 04:52:43 am »

ffdshow subtitles still works if you use RO with additional filters (ffdshow raw in my case).

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, I am not sure how this affects RO? Now in version 16.0.128 I use RO and only the ffdshow subtitle filter as additional filter. I am happy that I could use RO and don’t need to think about all the configuration of ffdshow filters. I am absolute clueless regarding codecs, decoders and all the settings in the ffdshow menu. When I add the ffdshow raw video filter to get the subtitles back, does this mean that I lose the automatic configuration ability of RO?

Thanks for any help finding a way through the jungle.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:57:15 am »

I'm using RO HQ with additional ffdshow raw filter (only subtitles checked in the config). MC's RO selects Lav for decoding audio and video (nvidia graphic adapter).
Seems like ffdshow raw filters subtitles are only used with sidecar files though. Embedded subtitles are always displayed with MC's own engine.

So hopefully we'll have some user customization in the future as I'm sure that there are almost as many preferred subtitle styles as there are users living in the non english speaking countries where there are no dubbing culture.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »

Subtitles in my Blu-ray Avatar movie (ISO file) used to be yellow and are now cyan when using RO HQ and RO. I am not sure if this is really a problem, but something is different.

TLS

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 09:45:34 am »

Can I change the Font ?

Subtitles use the same font as other areas of the program.  You can change Media Center's font in Options > Tree & View > Select font.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 09:47:28 am »

Subtitles in my Blu-ray Avatar movie (ISO file) used to be yellow and are now cyan when using RO HQ and RO. I am not sure if this is really a problem, but something is different.

TLS

I only have Blu-ray (PGS) subtitles that are white so haven't been able to test for color shifts.  My guess is that red and blue are swapped.

Any chance you (or anyone else) has a small sample file with PGS subtitles that are colored?

Thanks.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:08 am »

Matt, I see this on every mkv file I have (I think).  in the LAV settings, there's on/full, forced (auto), off.  Forced (auto) are the subs that the splitter reads as forced from the main sub stream.  they are not actually a separate stream in the file, just some magic that Nev has created.

if you go into the LAV settings, you'll see the option.  MC doesn't expose all of this as optional, and setting it in LAV settings while a video is running is not a permanent change.  it's back to full or off the next time I play a video; even the same video again, IIFC.

I believe these forced (auto) subs are showing correctly in the stream selection, there's just no way to make this the default behavior/selection; none that I could find anyway :)

I'm having trouble with forced subs.

An example is Green Zone where there's Arabic dialogue with supposed forced subs with English translation. I have the forced subs stream selected, but no subs appear. Tried lots of options in the LAV configuration panel, filled in the language bits, tried to toggle the forced options, but nada.

It's bad for WAF! The only way to get the subs to show correctly is to manually select the correct sub stream. It is a problem with this disc as there are about 4 or 5 different english subs to choose from(full subs, directors commentary subs, subs with descriptions for deaf etc. ). Not good forthe other half who just expects it to work!

I'm guessing that no subs are output because the audio language is English despite the occasional Arabic.

Works fine in PowerDVD. Not sure where the issue is? JRiver or LAV?

Is this fixable, or too difficult?

SBR

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:41:38 am »

I'm having trouble with forced subs.

An example is Green Zone where there's Arabic dialogue with supposed forced subs with English translation. I have the forced subs stream selected, but no subs appear. Tried lots of options in the LAV configuration panel, filled in the language bits, tried to toggle the forced options, but nada.

It's bad for WAF! The only way to get the subs to show correctly is to manually select the correct sub stream. It is a problem with this disc as there are about 4 or 5 different english subs to choose from(full subs, directors commentary subs, subs with descriptions for deaf etc. ). Not good forthe other half who just expects it to work!

I'm guessing that no subs are output because the audio language is English despite the occasional Arabic.

Works fine in PowerDVD. Not sure where the issue is? JRiver or LAV?

Is this fixable, or too difficult?

SBR

The issue appears to be with JRiver, LAV works just fine with WMC and MPC-HC. I simply set LAV for Forced Subtitles and forget it and only ever get to see forced subtitles.  Unfortunately JRiver does not allow editing of LAV parameters.
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:39 am »

I've been unable to reproduce this using the latest build.

If I play Green Zone (MKV from a Blu-ray), the subtitle 'Forced Subtitles (auto)' is selected.

Around the 27:30 mark when they're having a meeting in Arabic, English subtitles appear.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:34 am »

If I play Green Zone (MKV from a Blu-ray), the subtitle 'Forced Subtitles (auto)' is selected.

Around the 27:30 mark when they're having a meeting in Arabic, English subtitles appear.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Matt, the new build is much improved and does offer forced subs occasionally, unfortunately the option is not present on some MKV files. We really need the facility to enable forced subtitles within LAV.  IMHO I think most people would like the set the show only Forced Subtitles and then forget it until they need to change it, i.e make it the default.
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »

Matt, the new build is much improved and does offer forced subs occasionally, unfortunately the option is not present on some MKV files. We really need the facility to enable forced subtitles within LAV.  IMHO I think most people would like the set the show only Forced Subtitles and then forget it until they need to change it, i.e make it the default.

Please provide a sample video that does not work properly.  I have not been able to reproduce this issue.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »

Matt,

I have tried, but don't have the proper tool to cut a piece of Avatar with cyan subtitles, where they were supposed to be yellow. DVDFab will allow me to cut a whole chapter, but that end up as 1.6Gb file and I don't have the means to upload a file of that size.

Anything else I can do to help?

TLS

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:30 pm »

Any ideas?  Thanks.

I watched a movie last night, and it too had the 'Forced Subs (auto)' selected, but  i assumed I had previously started playing it, and that option had been remembered my choice from previously.  Maybe it's 'fixed' though.  I wasn't sure.

However, I don't think MC reveals this choice from LAVFilters, so I'm not sure how one would select this option (only forced subs) from within MC.  If one right-clicks, clicks on Filters, clicks on Lav Splitter, one could select this choice here. Perhaps that may now have 'stuck' on my machine, so I'm getting these by default (maybe you have also?); but if I didn't know to do that, I don't know where else one could make this the default behavior.

I hope that makes sense.

PS, this is on any mkv file I have, since they all have subtitles, causing LAVSplitter to offer this choice. Even if there are no forced subs, it always presents this option (I believe).
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »

Matt,

I have tried, but don't have the proper tool to cut a piece of Avatar with cyan subtitles, where they were supposed to be yellow. DVDFab will allow me to cut a whole chapter, but that end up as 1.6Gb file and I don't have the means to upload a file of that size.

Anything else I can do to help?

TLS

How about just emailing me two screenshots, one with the right and one with the wrong colors?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 02:08:22 pm »

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hmmm.

Tried last night with 16.136. But no joy. I'm playing from iso.

I'll try with 16.137 when I get a chance. New Baby Ridge (5 weeks old) is allergic to sleep at the moment so opportunity may be limited!

SBR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

Hmmm.

Tried last night with 16.136. But no joy. I'm playing from iso.

To make sure you're not just seeing the fact that it used to pick the wrong stream (which could then be saved for subsequent plays), clear the 'Playback Info' field for the videos in question.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

To make sure you're not just seeing the fact that it used to pick the wrong stream (which could then be saved for subsequent plays), clear the 'Playback Info' field for the videos in question.

Ok, will keep that in mind. The LAV settings seem fixed by design, so am I correct in assuming that I do not need to change these? What should the JRiver options for subtitled be set as?

I'll have a think to see if I have any other discs with forced subtitles too for comparison. I can't think of any at the moment. Sleep deprivation!

I'm loving the fact that JRiver now auto-changes the refresh rate for iso too. Major kudos!!

SBR

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 03:32:52 pm »

Screenshots with subtitle color difference sent by mail.

TLS

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »

Please provide a sample video that does not work properly.  I have not been able to reproduce this issue.

As previously mentioned, I have no way to provide a sample of the Expendables unless you know how I can edit a small section.  That said I have found something interesting. If I watch a film that has forced subs that are selectable in the subs menu and then watch the expendables, I still cannot see forced subs as an option in the menu but the forced subs function is working just perfect :) i.e I now only see subs when the audio is in a different language!

Perhaps if I never select full normal subs it will work for all movies in forced mode for the future?  BTW I just did this test with 16.137, I do not see any changes regarding subtitles in the history so I'm guessing it is not material to the issue.
The Future is Remote!

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:43 am »

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Matt,

Just tried with 16.0.139 and still no forced subs.  :(

Could it be that LAV splitter isn't picking up the forced stream for the UK disc but is OK for the US one?

Cheers,

SBR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 10:49:50 am »

Just tried with 16.0.139 and still no forced subs.  :(

What appears in the right-click 'Subtitles' menu while playing?  What is checked?

Is there a disc we could order from Netflix or Amazon (US) to test with?

Thanks.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »

What appears in the right-click 'Subtitles' menu while playing?  What is checked?

Thanks.

No Subtitles is checked and English [Eng] (vobsub) is shown but Forced is not listed as an option even though it is actually working in Forced Subs mode. Did you read my earlier post?

The Future is Remote!

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

Forced Subtitles (auto) is ticked (checked!)

The disc I have seems non region locked so may be the same as US version. It is UPC ( or whatever for blu ray) 827 588 0 . 11. May be worth checking on your copy.

If I put the disc in directly in the blu ray drive and play from drive, same result no forced subs, so I don't think it's an iso issue.

SBR

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:17 am »

is it possible to have an "always on" setting for avi+srt and mkv files (for avi : if there is a srt file with the same name, enable subtitles with this file, for mkv : if it has internal sublttiles use the default one or the first , if not look for external srt) ?
Because right now I have to enable subtitles for every single file i have ...
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:45 am »

Matt: If the function of Subtitles is not going to be 'Sticky' can we at least have a remote command assigned.

Sticky is my preference as stated earlier.
The Future is Remote!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 04:40:44 am »

@Sandy B Ridge:

There is basically two types of forced subs on Blu-rays.

1) The Forced subs are embedded into the normal subtitle stream. This is the type that LAV Splitter works its magic on, extracting only the forced entries based on their flags, and offering them through the automatic forced sub stream.

2) The forced subs are in a separate stream. Sadly, those streams are not flagged, nor have the sub frames in it the force flags. It is currently impossible to detect which track is the "forced" track, and therefor the option will not work. The only way to get the right subtitles in this case is to manually select the appropriate stream (for now).

The first method is the more common, and it works quite beautifully on the discs that use it. Sadly some discs also use the second, and you will have to manually find the right track.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 05:12:53 am »

@nevcairiel

Do you have any idea what is causing the problem that I see with 'The Expendables"  Your sub filter works fantastically when used with WMC or MCP-HC, please review my earlier postings if you have time.

Chris
The Future is Remote!

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 05:16:54 am »

@nevcairiel

2) The forced subs are in a separate stream. Sadly, those streams are not flagged, nor have the sub frames in it the force flags. It is currently impossible to detect which track is the "forced" track, and therefor the option will not work. The only way to get the right subtitles in this case is to manually select the appropriate stream (for now).

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. There is a subtitle track which is separate and contains only the 'forced' subs so this must be how this disc is mastered. Presumably this track is automatically selected when played in a hardware bluray player and in PowerDVD. Must be a setting in the index file (or whatever).

Thanks for your time.

SBR

PS <off topic> did you manage to get your hand on a copy of Defiance? Still doesn't play nice with the DTSMA tracks, only plays with the commentary track!  

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 06:10:46 am »

Sandy there are a few of these - You may want to add the stream info in this thread for other users http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64999.0

Also the good thing is MC will remember your stream selection for playback next time, so you only have to work it out once and then the correct stream will be selected next time you play back the title.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:59 am »

PS <off topic> did you manage to get your hand on a copy of Defiance? Still doesn't play nice with the DTSMA tracks, only plays with the commentary track!  

I did, but there is nothing i can really fix. The disc is mastered very oddly, and unless this becomes some kind of standard, i'll call this an unfortunate case of not workingness.
You can play it properly if you just open the m2ts file and skip the playlists.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:58 am »

@nevcairiel

Do you have any idea what is causing the problem that I see with 'The Expendables"  Your sub filter works fantastically when used with WMC or MCP-HC, please review my earlier postings if you have time.

Chris

Apparently your subtitles are "vobsub". The automatic forced subtitle stream only works on original Blu-ray PGS subtitles, and is only created if one of that type is present.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:58 am »

Apparently your subtitles are "vobsub". The automatic forced subtitle stream only works on original Blu-ray PGS subtitles, and is only created if one of that type is present.

Many thanks for the explanation.

The subs are indeed vobsub but why does it work perfectly in WMC & MPC-HC with the LAV setting just set to only show forced subs ?
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »

Coming in 16.0.141:
NEW: Sidecar subtitle selection (SRT, IDX, etc.) will persist between plays, just like it does for stream-based subtitle selection.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »

wow great support.
Unfortunately it won't solve my problem, 99% of my files are tv-shows (english language and english SRT) and anime episodes (japanese language and english substream in MKV) so they are only watched once ...
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

intrance

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »

A quick question here from a 'long time user, first time poster' ;). Is there a way to change the subtitle font size with this new subtitle engine? Searching the options and the wiki didn't help me out much, so any help is appreciated. I've been using your software for a couple of years now if I'm not mistaken, and I never really had to tweak much or dive into the settings to get things the way I want. So please excuse me if I've missed something in the options :).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »

A quick question here from a 'long time user, first time poster' ;). Is there a way to change the subtitle font size with this new subtitle engine? Searching the options and the wiki didn't help me out much, so any help is appreciated. I've been using your software for a couple of years now if I'm not mistaken, and I never really had to tweak much or dive into the settings to get things the way I want. So please excuse me if I've missed something in the options :).

It uses the font selected in Options > Tree & View, but the size isn't customizable.

Are you looking for a larger or smaller font size?  We could add a percent-style option like Theater View (so 100% is normal).  We could also just adjust the default sizing if enough people agree.

Thoughts?

intrance

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 06:07:59 am »

In most cases I've encountered so far, I would like the font to be just a bit smaller. A percent-style slider would probably be the best option, customizable to everyone's liking.

On a side note, thanks for the quick reply and active support. Even though I've never needed it before it's just another reason for me to keep using MC.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:55 am »

On the flip side, I want to up the font size a couple of points and make it bold :)
Probably depends on the display in use TBQH, and an option is the only way to keep people happy.

I've also noted that I want to use a different font to the UI, but that's a much more minor issue.

-Leezer-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up